• The KillerFrogs

Zack Allen was the best QB today

asleep003

Mateo Grande said:
I thought Allen looked the sharpest as well but it's hard to compare when going against a different D.

Our #2 and 3 Ds are supposed to have looked good. And pretty sure Allen was not running behind the #1 OL when going against the #2/3 defense. So, there seems to be enough confirmations of ability to suggest he's a legitimate candidate and not just for 2015.. 

Cheers !

BleedNPurple

Allen looked great - the offense got a real spark every time he got into the scrimmage. Reminded me of the way Tony Romo used to work as a rookie in the preseason whenever he would get in to finish the 4th quarter. Our offense looked rough for the most part yesterday - 1's 2's and 3's. Partially by design but probably not as good as what the coaches were hoping for.

Frog-in-law1995

SwissArmyFrog said:
This being the case, then why was Dalton a Freshman All-America (as another poster pointed out), but Boykin not even near to being on the radar for that same award, when Boykin's stats were similar/better than Dalton, and he did it vs. much tougher competition?

Would you say that they saw things in Dalton that they were completely oblivious to in Boykin? 
Eleven QBs, including Dalton, were named honorable mention freshman all Americans by the sporting news that year, including Giovanni Vizza of University of North Texas (who quit football a year later to transfer to A&M) and Travis Dixon of UNLV (who lost the starting job that offseason and got moved to cornerback).

As for why Boykin wasn't named honorable mention all American by the Sporting News? Might be because they stopped naming beyond the first team in 2009.

TCURiggs

Frog-in-law1995 said:
Eleven QBs, including Dalton, were named honorable mention freshman all Americans by the sporting news that year, including Giovanni Vizza of University of North Texas (who quit football a year later to transfer to A&M) and Travis Dixon of UNLV (who lost the starting job that offseason and got moved to cornerback).

As for why Boykin wasn't named honorable mention all American by the Sporting News? Might be because they stopped naming beyond the first team in 2009.

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

SwissArmyFrog

Is your feeling is that Boykin's freshman performance was All American Honorable Mention-worthy?

Not looking to argue this, just seeking perspective.

Off to enjoy Sunday night.  Goodnight!  :smile:

Ron Swanson

Dogfrog said:
I don't know either of them.. Here's a quote from one of your HASMSP bro's:

"I've read Gunner's opinions on the QB"s for some time, and he has an unhealthy dislike for Boykin. I personally wouldn't be surprised if race was factoring in."

That's a real BS post right there.
I think it's fair

He goes out of his way in almost every post he makes to make ridiculous and completely unfair points about how terrible Boykin is. He's even thrown out the old "I don't think he's intelligent enough for the QB position" opinion. There is a very clear bias against him, and I wouldn't be shocked if race is a factor.

I didn't say I know for a fact that he's racist and that it's definitely a factor, but I've read a ton of posts from him and the fact that there is a bias is clear.

And if you're gonna copy/paste a post if mine, please paste the whole thing where I put the qualifiers in there.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Dogfrog said:
I don't know either of them.. Here's a quote from one of your HASMSP bro's:

"I've read Gunner's opinions on the QB"s for some time, and he has an unhealthy dislike for Boykin. I personally wouldn't be surprised if race was factoring in."

That's a real BS post right there.
Please don't use the term "bro".

TCURiggs

SwissArmyFrog said:
Is your feeling is that Boykin's freshman performance was All American Honorable Mention-worthy?

Not looking to argue this, just seeking perspective.

Off to enjoy Sunday night.  Goodnight!  :smile:

Me? No. I don't think Andy's was either, since his stats weren't even as good as Tre's against an easier schedule. I think they give out too many awards like that and I'm glad they don't do it anymore. It's crazy that they tabbed 11 people with that... almost like a participation ribbon for D-I Freshmen QB's

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Frogs On A Plane said:
There are a ton of older people that mix it up with us younger cats with no problems. To suggest otherwise is being naive. If you don't think so then drop in on the HASMSP thread and ask Geezer, TCUdoc, Quilter, Shivas or any other person that isn't necessarily a spring chicken.

Us old farts do have a refined ability to recognize humor/sarcasm when we see it...'cause we've seen a lot of it.

Us old guy farts also know better than to say that any woman "isn't necessarily a spring chicken". 

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
geezer said:

Us old farts do have a refined ability to recognize humor/sarcasm when we see it...'cause we've seen a lot of it.

Us old guy farts also know better than to say that any woman "isn't necessarily a spring chicken". 
Oops. Haha. Touché. I went back and added Quilter after the fact. Forgot I had that in there. You know I didn't mean anything by it! Point being, nobody is discriminating by age. I just think that is a really unfair thing to say. Nobody on here cares if you are 8 or 80.

Frog-in-law1995

Frogs On A Plane said:
Oops. Haha. Touché. I went back and added Quilter after the fact. Forgot I had that in there. You know I didn't mean anything by it! Point being, nobody is discriminating by age. I just think that is a really unfair thing to say. Nobody on here cares if you are 8 or 80.
I thought Ron preferred 8-year-olds?

43572.GIF

Ron Swanson

TCURiggs said:

Me? No. I don't think Andy's was either, since his stats weren't even as good as Tre's against an easier schedule. I think they give out too many awards like that and I'm glad they don't do it anymore. It's crazy that they tabbed 11 people with that... almost like a participation ribbon for D-I Freshmen QB's
Yeah, it sounds to me like pretty much every single FCS freshman starting QB made the award list cut in 2007