• The KillerFrogs

Zack Allen was the best QB today

asleep003

steelfrog said:
In fairness, playing the Cardinal in their house isn't going to be a walkover, Plank.  They are smart nerdy guys but they tough too,  And it's a long trip for the Frogs.

Steel, they are no longer the Cardinal ... they changed their name to the Bulldogs, just to throw you a curve. Oh, and we lucked out, they are coming here this year... as we all know how tuff they are at home. 

Cheers !

steelfrog

Tier 1
Oh wow.  That just gores to show you how out of touch Steel can get!  Steel had no idea!

They will still be tough though.  Their coach is a former NFL QB for the Indy Colts and he will have them ready!

TK2000

The TCU vs UT 2007 game is on you tube. Go watch that to see how prolific Dalton was as a freshman against a Big 12 team. It's pretty embarrassing. Dalton didn't really make noise until his 3rd year when the whole team was balanced and our O line was stacked. A lot of pieces need to be in place for the 2014 QB to look great.

SwissArmyFrog

TK2000 said:
The TCU vs UT 2007 game is on you tube. Go watch that to see how prolific Dalton was as a freshman against a Big 12 team. It's pretty embarrassing. Dalton didn't really make noise until his 3rd year when the whole team was balanced and our O line was stacked. A lot of pieces need to be in place for the 2014 QB to look great.

I just re-watched that game (just every TCU offensive play), and I found Dalton's personal level of play very respectable, especially for a freshman.  On the second to last drive they flashed the stats, 19 of 29, no INTs or TDs.  Did throw an INT right near the end, though (which seems to be common on last-minute drives).  Didn't have the ball much in the 2nd half, unfortunately - UTs D stiffened and their offense started having more success.

Even then you could see he would be a good weapon carrying the ball, too.

TCURiggs

SwissArmyFrog said:

I just re-watched that game (just every TCU offensive play), and Dalton's play was very respectable, especially for a freshman.  Not embarrassing, at all.  Didn't have the ball much in the 2nd half, unfortunately. 

Even then you could see what a weapon he would be carrying the ball, too.

Not trying to argue about a game from 2007, but he was 23/37 for 208 yds (5.6 avg), 1 INT, no TDs, and he had 7 rushes for -16 yds. He also led our offense to a whopping 6 points (we had a defensive TD). He would've been crucified if he did that for TCU in 2012 or 2013

Perhaps it was easier to see what a weapon he would be because you know how his career has played out?

SwissArmyFrog

Riggs, I was only watching his own play in that game.  Mostly, I wanted to see how well his passes were targeted, but I also wanted to see how he did, all-around.   

He did run well (for a QB), but he was sacked a few times, which seriously affected his running numbers - but again, I didn't go by the numbers.  I watched every run he made - how he ran - and his play there - still tough going vs. UT's D - was very respectable.  There were a number of option plays where there was just place to go, and got losses.  But it wasn't because he played badly.

23/37 is good, but 208 yards is substandard. 

But I watched each pass he made, and his passing was very respectable.  Especially for a Freshman.  Could he have gotten us more?  Was CGP holding back, not risking bad plays from a Freshman?  Perhaps.  I think something Mistletoad said somewhere did apply in this game - that AD's long ball wasn't good, then, and I don't recall a long ball thrown by AD in this game.

UT's defense was too good for us, but it wasn't because AD played badly.  He didn't play well enough for us to get more, given the day their D had (especially in the 2nd half, and their offense taking much time off the clock in the 2nd), but his play wasn't bad.  

He wasn't great, but I found him respectable.

Gunner

If Saturday was any indication,  Boykin should get back to WR as soon as possible.  Been disappointed the new coaches haven't moved him.  He needs reps at WR. 

He has terrific hands, and that's why they play him as punt returner.  Usually don't have your QB returning punts, of course.  He caught 11 passes the first game after Pachall returned from injury.  He can catch anything and he is big enough to be a tough tackle when hit by small corners, even safties.  Hard to jam him at the line too.

He did his usual at QB Saturday, struggling with decisions.  Once he had perfect blocking, seemed to panic, rolled away from his protection and managed to lose 20 yards. On another play he fumbled a perfect snap, panic-ed and threw an interception.  Why they subject the poor kid to this, is a big disappointment from the new coaches.  Maybe they have been told to play him there. Who knows? 

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Gunner said:
If Saturday was any indication,  Boykin should get back to WR as soon as possible.  Been disappointed the new coaches haven't moved him.  He needs reps at WR. 

He has terrific hands, and that's why they play him as punt returner.  Usually don't have your QB returning punts, of course.  He caught 11 passes the first game after Pachall returned from injury.  He can catch anything and he is big enough to be a tough tackle when hit by small corners, even safties.  Hard to jam him at the line too.

He did his usual at QB Saturday, struggling with decisions.  Once he had perfect blocking, seemed to panic, rolled away from his protection and managed to lose 20 yards. On another play he fumbled a perfect snap, panic-ed and threw an interception.  Why they subject the poor kid to this, is a big disappointment from the new coaches.  Maybe they have been told to play him there. Who knows? 

Yes.  I am sure they were told to play him at QB even if they think he is the worst option.  That makes a TON of sense.

TCURiggs

Gunner said:

You're a crazy person. Boykin just flat-out moved the first team offense better than Matthews on Saturday... had more first downs, more completions, fewer turnovers, and Listenbee dropped a perfectly thrown TD pass. There's no denying any of that. I'm not sure why you only pick out the negative plays when talking about him, but it's ridiculous. He's still at QB because no one has beat him out for the job, which means he may be the best one on our roster... not that hard to figure out. Give it a rest with taking shots at the guy... that last paragraph is garbage

TCURiggs said:

You're a crazy person. Boykin just flat-out moved the first team offense better than Matthews on Saturday... had more first downs, more completions, fewer turnovers, and Listenbee dropped a perfectly thrown TD pass. There's no denying any of that. I'm not sure why you only pick out the negative plays when talking about him, but it's ridiculous. He's still at QB because no one has beat him out for the job, which means he may be the best one on our roster... not that hard to figure out. Give it a rest with taking shots at the guy... that last paragraph is garbage
I agree with this. The coaches are in a much better position to make this judgment than any of us, and they keep coming to the same realization -- and that is Boykin is the best guy for the job right now. Somebody else might step up and take it away from him, but until that happens, he's staying at QB.