• The KillerFrogs

Zack Allen was the best QB today

cheese83

While Dalton and Boykin's stats are comparable we can't use that as a basis moving forward. Now that we are in the big 12 we don't have the luxury of developing anyone like Dalton again (with his production as a fr & so) if we want to be competitive. Bc of the step down in competition we were able to get away with it in the MWC by utilizing a run game and wrecking people with our D.

Like others have said, it doesn't sound like there has been too big of a difference in performance between Boykin & Matthews. We are struggling at WR & Boykin can really help there. I say move him.

TCURiggs

cheese83 said:
While Dalton and Boykin's stats are comparable we can't use that as a basis moving forward. Now that we are in the big 12 we don't have the luxury of developing anyone like Dalton again (with his production as a fr & so) if we want to be competitive. Bc of the step down in competition we were able to get away with it in the MWC by utilizing a run game and wrecking people with our D.

Like others have said, it doesn't sound like there has been too big of a difference in performance between Boykin & Matthews. We are struggling at WR & Boykin can really help there. I say move him.

I agree with the last part, unless some of the incoming Freshmen can make an impact at WR. If it's pretty much a wash and no one steps up at WR, it may be best to have Boykin out there and mix him in with some at QB. Having said that, there was a big enough difference between Matthews and Boykin on Saturday where it looked like Boykin needs to stay at QB. I know it was just one scrimmage, and we've heard that Tyler has looked better at times this Spring, but days like Saturday are why Tre isn't at WR

steelfrog

Tier 1
Steel wonders what Gunner has to say about how this post has degraded.  Actually it degreaded immediately from fb talk into ad himinem attacks, accusations of racism (which is fuknny since all you all are racists--it's just you all accusing each other of being worse racists than the other) and other dumb stuff.

Planks

TopFrog said:
Didn't Allen go mostly against third-stringers and walk ons?
Well to be fair he also played with third stringers and walk ons. It's not like he was playing with the 1st team offense against the 3rd team defense.

It appears Zach Allen won't be in the running for the starting job in 2014. All the reports from before the spring game made it seem like there was a huge difference between Boykin/Matthews and Allen. I think most of us showed up to the spring game expecting to see a Casey Pachall vs Matt Brown type drop off in QB play when it came to Boykin/Matthews vs Allen, but that's not what we saw.

Judging simply by the spring game and nothing else, it's not clear why Allen is considered a distant third with no shot at starting next year.

Raw Frog

Our OCs should be motivated to be intellectually honest and objective with their evaluations on who can run this offense best.  After all, it will be their {Craig James'} at the end of the day if we do not get it done in the games.  They know this.  
Keep in mind the disinfo game during spring drills/practice, but it would seem smart to give all QBs the chance to work with the 1s and 2s to get an apple to apple comparison.  
I wasn't there, but based on the comments from those who were, it is not clear to me either why Allen is a "distant" third.
Waitin' to see what happens...   

SwissArmyFrog

It would be interesting to hear a few point given about why Allen isn't seen as at TB's or TM's level.  Not to disagree, but just to know. 

OTOH, I doubt the reasons would be anything out of the ordinary in a situation like this.

TCURiggs

Planks said:
Well to be fair he also played with third stringers and walk ons. It's not like he was playing with the 1st team offense against the 3rd team defense.

It appears Zach Allen won't be in the running for the starting job in 2014. All the reports from before the spring game made it seem like there was a huge difference between Boykin/Matthews and Allen. I think most of us showed up to the spring game expecting to see a Casey Pachall vs Matt Brown type drop off in QB play when it came to Boykin/Matthews vs Allen, but that's not what we saw.

Judging simply by the spring game and nothing else, it's not clear why Allen is considered a distant third with no shot at starting next year.

Good post. I was definitely expecting to see a big drop off based on what I'd heard/read. He didn't appear to have as strong of an arm as Tre or TM, but other than that he looked pretty good. Who knows what he'd look like running with the 1st-2nd team, but I assume there's a reason for the reports of him looking like he's behind Tre and TM

HG73

Raw Frog said:
Our OCs should be motivated to be intellectually honest and objective with their evaluations on who can run this offense best.  After all, it will be their {Craig James'} at the end of the day if we do not get it done in the games.  They know this.  
Keep in mind the disinfo game during spring drills/practice, but it would seem smart to give all QBs the chance to work with the 1s and 2s to get an apple to apple comparison.  
I wasn't there, but based on the comments from those who were, it is not clear to me either why Allen is a "distant" third.
Waitin' to see what happens...   
Meach and Sonny were hand picked by GP to make wholesale changes.  I think between the three of them they will make the right decision on our QB.  I sure miss Dick Winder.  Seems like we always had steady productive QB play when he was here.  Hopefully between our new OCs we can get back to that.

texas_sicilian

This may come across a bit far out, but it seems to me we've developed a culture of desiring the most conservative QB. Allen, while with deficiencies in arm strength, is more of a Manziel type style (lots of improvisation, which is risky, but if backed by good instincts, comes with a lot of reward).

Boykin possesses similar traits in terms of his evasiveness and comfort out of the pocket, but lacks (IMO) the ability to improvise while on the run (except to run the ball himself).

We know that 95% of the time, when TB scrambles, he's committed to the run, and the few times he does pass, it is usually and incomplete or interception. When he stays in the pocket, has time, and has a man open, he can sling it (which is rare with our OL).

So, unless our OL drastically improves, I feel we will need to find a true dual threat that our coaching staff can get comfortable with (ability to scramble with a solid ability to pass or run while on the run).

Banking on an unproven pro-style QB (e.g. TM) with an unproven OL doesn't seem like the right formula going into next season, but again, I could be way off...

HG73

Just my two cents worth, I liked Zach at the scrimmage because he seemed to improvise and make something out of nothing, which was good because our D is ahead of our O at this point in time and there wasn't much for him to work with.

TB looked like the same TB we have had for two plus years.  Really hope we can play TB at WR, think he will shine there.  Kid's a player, he should be on the field. 

TM impressed me with his pocket presence and arm strength.  He stepped up into the pocket and went through his progressions before running for his life.  I would have liked better accuracy but if our (depleted) WRs caught the ball his accuracy would have looked better.  

steelfrog

Tier 1
In fairness, playing the Cardinal in their house isn't going to be a walkover, Plank.  They are smart nerdy guys but they tough too,  And it's a long trip for the Frogs.

SnoSki

HoustonVeer said:

Did he light it up in the Spring game?
It's funny, you say that you weren't upset when Meacham left for TCU after one year, yet you're consistently over here checking in and bashing him subtly. Your actions suggest gluteal soreness over the issue.

Latest posts