• The KillerFrogs

The "I can"/"no you can't" thread on becoming a world class sprinter

maximilian

So, who has any news on Devin's visit? Maximillian? 2themax?

Visit went well. This kid is dead set on getting a shot a QB though, so I don't know what that does to our chances. If Patterson lets him have a shot at QB, then we have a shot, but if he only wants him at safety, then he probably isn't coming here.

Ray Finkle

How does Weis to KU factor into his decision? Weis is a Jersey guy and knows what to do with QBs. If you can't beat out the incumbent QB, Jordan Webb, you may as well call it a career.

FrogCoach84

My post following that one explains what I meant by that statement, the original statement wasn't stated very well. You can teach a kid to get faster, but you can't teach a kid to be FAST. Same concept as not being able to teach kids to throw hard.
Got ya.

Missed the follow up. I do think a ton of kids come out of high school with no clue how to run. There just aren't a huge amount of really good strength coaches in high school. The guys that specialize in that area seem to end up as personal trainers or college or professional coaches.

The personal training market is probably allowing a lot of kids to get closer to their potential at a younger age. But for the high school kid whose parents can't swing paying for a trainer their biggest gains usually happen in their first two years on a college campus.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
How could a lot skill players not get at least a little faster at the college level with typically better training and coaching?

Well bright eyes, give us an example. Bottom line it hasn't happened.

You have to be kidding me, it happens all the time you just read about Colin Jones going from an almost 4.7 to 4.35. I do not have a list of players 40s from freshmen to senior year, nor do you. Unless you have a list of every TCU football player from the 30s to 2011 and all their 40 times - You don't have that. You have rivals but that just shows kids coming in what their forty time is and the website has no records of 40 times throughout their college career nor kids 40s past 2000, nor the recruiting walkons or walkons, thier is no records to show.

Bottom line is it happens all the time and yes at TCU. Timing the 40 can be improved just by pulling your head up with 5 yard left, it could mean you running a 4.5 or a 4.7, just by a head movement. Within 4 years (or sooner depending on your genes/talent/focus) and a vast amount of determination, nutrition, and speed training you CAN improve from a 5.0 to a 4.5! I've seen it, I have played with athletes who have.

You can't prove it never happens and I know for a fact it does but have no proof to tell you/show you otherwise nor do you. So we will just have to agree to disagree.

frogtwang

You have to be kidding me, it happens all the time you just read about Colin Jones going from an almost 4.7 to 4.35. I do not have a list of players 40s from freshmen to senior year, nor do you. Unless you have a list of every TCU football player from the 30s to 2011 and all their 40 times - You don't have that. You have rivals but that just shows kids coming in what their forty time is and the website has no records of 40 times throughout their college career nor kids 40s past 2000, nor the recruiting walkons or walkons, thier is no records to show.

Bottom line is it happens all the time and yes at TCU. Timing the 40 can be improved just by pulling your head up with 5 yard left, it could mean you running a 4.5 or a 4.7, just by a head movement. Within 4 years (or sooner depending on your genes/talent/focus) and a vast amount of determination, nutrition, and speed training you CAN improve from a 5.0 to a 4.5! I've seen it, I have played with athletes who have.

You can't prove it never happens and I know for a fact it does but have no proof to tell you/show you otherwise nor do you. So we will just have to agree to disagree.
I got no dog in this fight. But you're argueing that he can't prove it doesn't happen, well you didn't prove that it does. All your arguments can be turned right back on you. Where's your list that shows it "happens all the time"?

I got no dog in this fight. But you're argueing that he can't prove it doesn't happen, well you didn't prove that it does. All your arguments can be turned right back on you. Where's your list that shows it "happens all the time"?

Read what I said, I said we BOTH can't prove it.

And just to be clear, "And it happens all the time", meaning it happens not just at TCU but colleges all across the country. Not "all the time" meaning most every kid coming in running 5 flat that comes in TCU becomes a 4.5 kid in four years.

frogtwang

Read what I said, I said we BOTH can't prove it. And it happens all the time, meaning it happens not just at TCU but colleges all across the country. Not all the time meaning most every kid coming in running 5 flat that comes in TCU becomes a 4.5 kid in four years.
If it happens "all the time" wouldn't you be able to provide at least one example? "All the time" is a big statement to make w/o being able to provide any proof to back it up.

If it happens "all the time" wouldn't you be able to provide at least one example? "All the time" is a big statement to make w/o being able to provide any proof to back it up.

Whatever , you guys can believe whatever. I'm not going to go searching through records or websites, you go try to find athletes 40 times that are not the main kid on the college team, not easy to find. I've seen it, I've played the game, but I'm not going to go shuffling through combine records and rival records. You saw the 4.7 to 4.35 for Colin Jones, its the same. Probably the most growth you will see are the other kids not as known as they haven't had nutrition and programs and then have it and make huge strides.

I know what I know. FF can go to 24/7 website and believe he knows all about football and bring his followers with him on this, I don't care. I've do enough nerding by talking in this forum because I love talking Horned Frog football, but I don't need to take this to another level and do research on stupid crap like this.

frogtwang

I'm not goin to do the research for your claim. You made the claim as if its common place. I just asked for an example of a half second improvement. Just one single example.

You bring up Colin Jones' 40 times, from what I read he ran a 4.65 not a 4.7. You rounded his slow time to help your argument.

I told you I'm not looking up, the information is not there, for or against my claims. All you may have is what is on scout and rivals and what that kid did in the combine. The facts are athletes 40 times throughout the college career are not on the web except maybe impact players.

Colin Jones was brought up as an example by someone here of someone increasing speed by a decent amount, like most people here seem to believe is impossibe. But forget Colin Jones. Their are plenty of kids across the country and even some at TCU that make huge strides in their 40s every single year all through means like I have wriitten before - some you may not even know the athletes making those strides because they may be able to run but do not have what it takes to get on the field.

I'm done with this conversation. Come back and say whatever. You can say I know nothing and I am wrong, I know what is true, I'm not going to look up anything esp. if the information is not even there. The only way to get the information is go to the school and get history of 40 times by them, and they might not even have that information cause why keep 40 records of all your athletes through the years except your current roster and maybe a few year before (for maybe keeping up trends of what is working and what is not to increase an athlete's speed)?
I will just say If you played the game you would know.

frogtwang

I never said that times don't improve. I just asked for you to back up your claim that a half second improvement happens all the time which you have said multiple times that you cannot.

Times can and do get better. A half second improvement is huge.

I will admit though, the TCU athlete of 2011 you probably will never see a 5 flat kid come to TCU other than a linemen and those guys are not getting to 4.5. So you don't see kids playing anything but OL coming to TCU running 5 flat, at one time they did but not now. Maybe a walk on now and a few nobodies, you are more likely to see those athletes now at a team like Wyoming. But at one time TCU did have more athletes that needed more development (and did take strides like I claim can happen and have happened). Thanks to CGP and his talents in developing players speed and getting wins that now we can be picky and grumble about a kid having 4.7 speed.

FROGDADDY

Couple points. One, I watch athletes develop during their HS and college years FOR A LIVING. I've got literally thousands of running times on kids starting around age 15 and going into their early 20's. These are the best of the best at what they do and I'd say that somewhere around 5% get more than a little bit faster between their SR year of HS and the time they leave college. The number that actually get SLOWER dwarfs this. Two, teaching a kid to improve his 40 time by pulling up his head with 5 yards left and other things like that may make their time quicker but it does basically NOTHING to improve their effectiveness on the football field. It's just fluff.

Couple points. One, I watch athletes develop during their HS and college years FOR A LIVING. I've got literally thousands of running times on kids starting around age 15 and going into their early 20's. These are the best of the best at what they do and I'd say that somewhere around 5% get even one bit faster between their SR year of HS and the time they leave college. The number that actually get SLOWER dwarfs this. Two, teaching a kid to improve his 40 time by pulling up his head with 5 yards left and other things like that may make their time quicker but it does basically NOTHING to improve their effectiveness on the football field. It's just fluff.

1. I don't care what you do for a living. Your 100% wrong if you think kids going through a college program dosen't get at least a tiny bit better/faster.
2. No one said a forty time means anything on the field, but it is the means in which college and the NFL use to rate your speed and they hope it relates to the field. So if a head movement helps a kid obtain a 4.5 rather than a 4.7 then working on it matters. If practicing the right technique makes you a second faster than your opponent to beat him on a play even if it comes from a head movement then the coach will teach a kid the right techniques.
3. I don't care about this conversation. You can believe a kid stays the same from senior year in HS to senior year in college all you want. Fine.
4. Fuller is plenty fast, so get off the kids case.

@Devin7Fuller Devin Fuller I like the view from here http://pic.twitter.com/MUrfoyg

AgRi393CMAEKot_.jpg

can't believe no one has mentioned yet he's quoting lil wayne from tha carter IV when he says "I like the view from here"...