• The KillerFrogs

Texas Tech Press Conference

TCURiggs

The heavy rotations haven't helped either, but I disagree with you on the idea that having confidence in the ball being in the right place has no bearing on the chances of a WR catching a ball. Using another basketball anology, if a shooter coming around a screen knows the ball is going to be delivered on time right where he wants it, his odds of making the jumper increase because all he has to focus on is his footwork and his shot. If he's not quite as confident in the ball being where it needs to be, he first has to concentrate on just catching the ball. It definitely can throw off the timing and rhythm of the shot. You hear players talk up PGs ability to do this all the time and how much it helps them as shooters.

That's a ridiculous reach, man.

TCURiggs

And if anyone is wondering why his INT #'s are down, I think this is it. It's by design. Those are the throws that are by far picked off most often if the QB isn't recognizing things in the secondary.

Well then, hats off to Cumbie, GP and Kenny for scheming towards our strengths and improving our offense by leaps and bounds this season.

Everyone bitched last year that we needed to run the ball more, stay on the field longer, and take better care of the football. We do exactly that this season, have a top 30ish offense with a top 5 3rd down completion%, and now it's a bad thing that we're not heaving it down field more.

Honestly, outside of about 2.5 quarters of the OU game, when would it have helped us to throw the ball down field more (assuming our WR's decided to start catching it that night in Norman)? We actually moved the ball well at Ames but turned it over in the redzone (because we were throwing it too much, IMO).

Last edited:

Wexahu

Well then, hats off to Cumbie, GP and Kenny for scheming towards our strengths and improving our offense by leaps and bounds this season.

Everyone bitched last year that we needed to run the ball more, stay on the field longer, and take better care of the football. We do exactly that this season, have a top 30ish offense with a top 5 3rd down completion%, and now it's a bad thing that we're not heaving it down field more.

Honestly, outside of about 2.5 quarters of the OU game when would it have helped us to throw the ball down field more (assuming our WR's decided to start catching it that night in Norman)? We actually moved the ball well at Ames but turned it over in the redzone (because we were throwing it too much, IMO).

Yes, hats off to them for recognizing specific weaknesses in our players and scheming around them.

ifrog

And if anyone is wondering why his INT #'s are down, I think this is it. It's by design. Those are the throws that are by far picked off most often if the QB isn't recognizing things in the secondary.
Such a stupid take. You can me the case any QBs interception numbers are down if they are being careful and playing smart. You are trying to hard. You guys bitched last year because there were interceptions. This year he is better and either throws out of bounds or tucks the ball and runs. Hill could win the Heisman and you guys would find something to [ hundin] about

TCURiggs

Yes, hats off to them for recognizing specific weaknesses in our players and scheming around them.

Word it however you'd like, but that scheme that you're criticizing (or Kenny, really) has been great for this team. It's allowed the offense to move the chains and stay on the field much longer this season, which has been great for the defense as well. The end result is that adjusting the scheme has helped to take us from 6 wins last season to already having 8 and a great shot at the conference championship game.

Also, you didn't answer my question about when it would have helped us to throw it down the field more?

Wexahu

Such a stupid take. You can me the case any QBs interception numbers are down if they are being careful and playing smart. You are trying to hard.

You're trying WAY too hard to disagree with everything I say. Good lord, Kenny has weaknesses as a QB that are pretty apparent to anyone who knows football. Nobody is saying he's a crappy QB or a bad kid, get over it.

Wexahu

Word it however you'd like, but that scheme that you're criticizing (or Kenny, really) has been great for this team. It's allowed the offense to move the chains and stay on the field much longer this season, which has been great for the defense as well. The end result is that adjusting the scheme has helped to take us from 6 wins last season to already having 8 and a great shot at the conference championship game.

Also, you didn't answer my question about when it would have helped us to throw it down the field more?

I'm not advocating throwing the ball down the field more if we can't do it successfully, that would be pretty dumb. I think it would help us tremendously if we could successfully throw the ball downfield in every game. I think the fact that we scored zero points against ISU would've changed had we been able to successfully complete intermediate to deep passes, but maybe we just don't have the QB and receivers that are capable of doing that. That's fine as you point out, let's keep rolling with the running game and short passing game and hope the defense doesn't stumble, because I guess that's all we've got. It's gotten us to 8-2 so that's pretty good.

jake102

I think the truth is that this team is not a playoff team. It's not a Big 12 Championship team either. It's just a very good team.

Our Defense is an A- (A+ run defense, B pass defense)
Our Offense is a solid B (A- run, B- pass)

That's good enough for 9-10 wins and a solid top 25 ranking.

TCURiggs

I'm not advocating throwing the ball down the field more if we can't do it successfully, that would be pretty dumb. I think it would help us tremendously if we could successfully throw the ball downfield in every game. I think the fact that we scored zero points against ISU would've changed had we been able to successfully complete intermediate to deep passes, but maybe we just don't have the QB and receivers that are capable of doing that. That's fine as you point out, let's keep rolling with the running game and short passing game and hope the defense doesn't stumble, because I guess that's all we've got. It's gotten us to 8-2 so that's pretty good.

Of course it would help tremendously if we could routinely throw it downfield every game, but that's hard to do. Most top level college teams that can do that well typically have some combination of an elite QB (Kenny isn't), an elite WR or two (ours aren't yet... holding out hope for a few younger guys) and a very good OL (ours has been struggling for weeks), but that's not in the cards for us this season. Having said that, we've played pretty well on that side of the ball and have done more than enough to get to 8 wins at this point. Now we just need to hope that getting Morris back and working in some new wrinkles with Shawn will help us even more.

TooColdU

Watched the replay and might have found the play where KH got hurt. I'm thinking he was experiencing concussion-like symptoms after the game. He gets hit on the side of the helmet and ends up hitting his head pretty hard on the ground.

Here's the play

Last edited:

Wexahu

Of course it would help tremendously if we could routinely throw it downfield every game, but that's hard to do. Most top level college teams that can do that well typically have some combination of an elite QB (Kenny isn't), an elite WR or two (ours aren't yet... holding out hope for a few younger guys) and a very good OL (ours has been struggling for weeks), but that's not in the cards for us this season. Having said that, we've played pretty well on that side of the ball and have done more than enough to get to 8 wins at this point. Now we just need to hope that getting Morris back and working in some new wrinkles with Shawn will help us even more.

I can't argue with much of this at all. I think the frustration from some of us stems from the fact that we really don't look like we've improved much throughout the year. Arguably our worst three offensive games have been our last three. As I've said before, I think defenses have adjusted (I think that's a far greater factor than losing Morris) so I'm not sure continuing to do what we have been is going to work out that well. Maybe the alternative is worse though for all the reasons that have been cited.

Wexahu

Watched the replay and maybe found the play where KH got hurt. I'm thinking he was experiencing concussion-like symptoms after the game. He gets hit on the side of the helmet and ends up hitting his head pretty hard on the ground.

Here's the play

I remember seeing that too. Good catch, I bet that is related to his status. I didn't remember it being so late in the game though.

Turpin had 8 touchdowns on 45 receptions as a freshman...a TD every six receptions. He has one TD on 31 receptions this year.

Whatever we've changed there, we need to go back to it.

TCURiggs

Turpin had 8 touchdowns on 45 receptions as a freshman...a TD every six receptions. He has one TD on 31 receptions this year.

Whatever we've changed there, we need to go back to it.

Defenses having to account for Doctson, Listenbee, Green, Boykin, etc... probably had a lot to do with that. So many weapons on the team... pick your poison.

LoudFrog

Watched the replay and might have found the play where KH got hurt. I'm thinking he was experiencing concussion-like symptoms after the game. He gets hit on the side of the helmet and ends up hitting his head pretty hard on the ground.

Here's the play

Kenny and Small have the same issue!

HG73

Here's the play

Dropped pass on the next play.

Latest posts