• The KillerFrogs

Texas Tech Press Conference

LaxFrog3

If Shawn dominates in Lubbock, would it make sense for Shawn to start the rest of the year? If the offense gets in a rhythm and puts up big numbers, why go back to KH?

MinFrog

I think it is pretty clear what GP wants.

He wants to protect his banged up starting QB. He also wants his freshman QB to start getting more reps now that he has had more time to learn the system and now that we are facing two of the worst defenses in the league.

So if we can control the game and get SR more live reps, win-win.

It’s not some mastermind plan that is impossible to decipher.

MinFrog

Also, I think the world of hill as a person, incredible journey these last few years.

But there is a very small distribution of his outcomes at this point. He is what he is.

SR on the I her hand has much more volatility and a wide distribution, he could be great or he could be terrible.

On the average, no QB is significantly better than the other, just a higher chance of an extreme with SR.

W

Way of the Frog

Also, I think the world of hill as a person, incredible journey these last few years.

But there is a very small distribution of his outcomes at this point. He is what he is.

SR on the I her hand has much more volatility and a wide distribution, he could be great or he could be terrible.

On the average, no QB is significantly better than the other, just a higher chance of an extreme with SR.

giphy.gif

Pharm Frog

Has anyone thought that maybe the reason we don’t go deep more is that our receivers aren’t good at that. We’ve had more drops on deep balls than any other routes we throw. Other teams wideouts can the ball down the field routinely and yet ours don’t. Maybe some of the blame should go to Kenny for not being precise but I’ve seen many passes thrown well dropped. Maybe SR will fix it this week.

I don’t believe we’ve thrown nearly enough deep balls to say that we’ve dropped more of those than other routes. If we had “dropped” every deep ball thrown this year, I still don’t think it would meet that threshold.

Double V

Really don't like the implication that we ate cashing it in for the rest of this season to start rebuilding for next year...PLEASE don't lose to TT and/or Baylor!!!! PLEEEEEAAAASEE

Wexahu

I don’t believe we’ve thrown nearly enough deep balls to say that we’ve dropped more of those than other routes. If we had “dropped” every deep ball thrown this year, I still don’t think it would meet that threshold.

I don't remember many drops at all on deep balls. Regardless of what the stats say, I've seen far fewer just plain drops than I did last year. Seemed like last year our guys just had stone hands, this year it's more like they haven't been able to make the tough catch.

TCURiggs

I don't remember many drops at all on deep balls. Regardless of what the stats say, I've seen far fewer just plain drops than I did last year. Seemed like last year our guys just had stone hands, this year it's more like they haven't been able to make the tough catch.

Tough catch? Apparently you missed the Arkansas game, the K State game, the OU game, etc... We've dropped a lot of simple catches, including a few sure TDs.

Pharm Frog

I learned everything I needed to know about “dropped” passes early last season when many were claiming that an ankle-high (generously calf-high) slant pass was a drop because the receiver (I believe Diarse) was able to get hands on it. I’d also point out that it’s tough math to talk about high pass efficiency and completion rates and claim an inordinate amount of dropped passes.

Pharm Frog

Tough catch? Apparently you missed the Arkansas game, the K State game, the OU game, etc... We've dropped a lot of simple catches, including a few sure TDs.

No one is disputing that we haven’t dropped passes. We have. And some simple ones. And some with high importance.

Wexahu

No doubt we've dropped some simple catches, but not nearly as many as last year IMO. That is all I'm saying.

TCURiggs

No one is disputing that we haven’t dropped passes. We have. And some simple ones. And some with high importance.

Wexahu just said "this year it's been more like they haven't been able to make the tough catch." Seems like he's disputing that they haven't dropped some simple ones, which is crazy. If they had just dropped the tough catches, I doubt anyone would still be bitching about our WR group.

Wexahu

Wexahu just said "this year it's been more like they haven't been able to make the tough catch." Seems like he's disputing that they haven't dropped some simple ones, which is crazy. If they had just dropped the tough catches, I doubt anyone would still be bitching about our WR group.

Sheesh, every word doesn't have to be dissected to death. Receivers drop passes. For every team. It happens, it's part of football. This year I haven't seen as many plain drops, where the receiver is wide open and the ball hits him right in the hands, as I did last year. Have we dropped some easy ones? Sure, that's always going to happen. This year, it seems like the drops have been more on plays where the receiver was covered and definitely should have made the play, but it wasn't nearly as egregious. But I need to qualify that statement to say that there have been some clear drops on what should have been very easy passes to catch.

Now, is that ok?

ifrog

No doubt we've dropped some simple catches, but not nearly as many as last year IMO. That is all I'm saying.

How do you know that? Three games ago we were on track for 35. And that was before last weeks debacle. We led the league with 39 last year. I can easily see us surpassing that. But lets not put any of this on the receivers right? That would ruin the narrative.

Wexahu

How do you know that? Three games ago we were on track for 35. And that was before last weeks debacle. We led the league with 39 last year. I can easily see us surpassing that. But lets not put any of this on the receivers right? That would ruins the narrative.

You need to start supporting our WRs more instead of always throwing them under the bus and blaming them for everything.

TCUSA

I
I just see what my eyes see. No, Saturday wasn't necessarily on Hill but I also don't think virtually our entire WR corps' disappearance over the past two seasons is because they just can't seem to figure it out. I also don't think our coaches have a lot of confidence in Kenny's ability to execute in the passing game outside of very simple, one-read, shortish pass routes. I think the fact that we decide to run SR in on a key drive near the end of the half in a huge game speaks a little to the coaches confidence....do you think they would've done that with TB? Not to say KH has done a bad job with what he has, but I definitely don't watch these games and think we are winning because of our QB play. I think we are carefully game-planning around KH's weaknesses and teams have caught on and started defensing us accordingly. That's what I see.

I think drops are an indication our receivers have lost faith in the qb's ability to get them the ball.

Wexahu

I

I think drops are an indication our receivers have lost faith in the qb's ability to get them the ball.

I do think there is something to that, that over time when you either aren't getting targets, or the ball just isn't getting to you in the right place at the right time when you do get targets, eventually the whole thing just kind of breaks down.

Dogfrog

I believe what GP is saying regarding injuries, etc. But there is another possibility, although maybe a remote one. What if SR has been playing lights out in practice for several weeks? To the point where the coaches wanted to play him more, but when you are winning you don't want to make changes. Now GP and Cumbie think SR gives us a better chance at beating OU in the CCG so start working him in now. Trying to be an optimist.