• The KillerFrogs

Texas Tech Press Conference

Pharm Frog

Another theory based on what I recall from a discussion about the success of Ga Tech receivers who are known for developing as blockers.

I recall a couple of analysts discussing how difficult it is for college receivers to maintain concentration on blocking assignments and execution and then turn it on for the same concentration for route running and catching. Perhaps as we’ve transitioned to more of a run-clock control (dead-time) orientation, it’s had an effect???

Now I just don’t understand this or how concentration has a capacity limit but it must. See the Concentration Grid that is favored by many athletes desiring to expand their capacity. Just something that I recall from people who should know something about what they were talking about.

Also heard Chip Kelly talk about a cadence of execution and how the challenge was getting every unit (QBs, OL, RBs, Receivers, and coaches on the same cadence.

Sebastian S

SR has the unknown factor that could both be good and bad.

Good in a way that there isn't much game film on him for our opponents.

Bad in a way that we don't know what we are getting, taking a gamble.

Raw Frog

I couldn't disagree more. But that's cool.
Edit: let me add to this - I assume you watched the OU game last weekend and agree that OU went conservative on offense wen they knew game was in hand and their defense had control? Are you able to relate that to the game against UT? Frogs didn't need another point. UT wasn't going anywhere. And if you don't think so you should go back and watch the game. 9 yards rushing. 8 sacks.

Yeah, same deal. Thus, I hope Gary does not really believe he actually shut them down the second half.

Wexahu

I couldn't disagree more. But that's cool.
Edit: let me add to this - I assume you watched the OU game last weekend and agree that OU went conservative on offense wen they knew game was in hand and their defense had control? Are you able to relate that to the game against UT? Frogs didn't need another point. UT wasn't going anywhere. And if you don't think so you should go back and watch the game. 9 yards rushing. 8 sacks.

Not sure where this fits into the conversation, but I agree that both OU and TCU went very careful offensively in the 2nd halves of both games because they weren't concerned about the other team scoring on their defense. Don't think that can really even be debated.

That's exactly the problem though, the fact that Oklahoma wasn't concerned about us scoring very much on their VERY average defense speaks a lot about our offense. It wasn't like our game with UT in which the offense/defense mismatch was so evident. Oklahoma's defense has been like a sieve for the better part of this year and they were also really banged up in the secondary, and we still couldn't really take advantage of it. That's not good.

TCURiggs

I

I think drops are an indication our receivers have lost faith in the qb's ability to get them the ball.

Yes, I'm sure that's it. They see a ball coming right at them and have time to think "oh man, he finally got it to me," which breaks their concentration and causes them to drop it. It's gotta be either that, or some sort of undetectable devil-spin that Kenny puts on the ball.

Maybe this group, as a whole, just isn't great at catching footballs, as they've consistently shown for two seasons now.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Not sure where this fits into the conversation, but I agree that both OU and TCU went very careful offensively in the 2nd halves of both games because they weren't concerned about the other team scoring on their defense. Don't think that can really even be debated.

That's exactly the problem though, the fact that Oklahoma wasn't concerned about us scoring very much on their VERY average defense speaks a lot about our offense. It wasn't like our game with UT in which the offense/defense mismatch was so evident. Oklahoma's defense has been like a sieve for the better part of this year and they were also really banged up in the secondary, and we still couldn't really take advantage of it. That's not good.
A terrible poster continually pointed out that UT was going to be a struggle. I called him out on it because it wasn't a struggle. Then another poster said it was a struggle because the score was relatively close. I was only pointing out that UT wasn't a struggle. I used OU as a comparison to make a point because it's relevant. We didn't struggle with UT. OU didn't struggle with us. Nothing more. I'm saying the same thing you are.

World record achieved in most times using the word struggle in one paragraph.

Wexahu

Yes, I'm sure that's it. They see a ball coming right at them and have time to think "oh man, he finally got it to me," which breaks their concentration and causes them to drop it. It's gotta be either that, or some sort of undetectable devil-spin that Kenny puts on the ball.

Maybe this group, as a whole, just isn't great at catching footballs, as they've consistently shown for two seasons now.

It's really not that far fetched a theory. It's like in basketball, it's much easier to make a free throw when you've been playing all game, are into the flow, and have already had several FT attempts in the game, versus coming off the bench cold. And in baseball you hear all the time about how it takes a special kind of hitter to pinch hit because it's hard to come off the bench cold and have good timing, etc.

I don't see why the same thing wouldn't apply to catching footballs.

TCURiggs

It's really not that far fetched a theory. It's like in basketball, it's much easier to make a free throw when you've been playing all game, are into the flow, and have already had several FT attempts in the game, versus coming off the bench cold. And in baseball you hear all the time about how it takes a special kind of hitter to pinch hit because it's hard to come off the bench cold and have good timing, etc.

I don't see why the same thing wouldn't apply to catching footballs.

Sounds like you're talking about the WR's rotating too much, which is a lot different than "the WRs have lost faith in the QB's ability to get them the ball."

I could believe that there's something to rotating too much/not getting in the flow of the game, but a WR dropping a very catchable ball because there's some sort of underlying lack of faith in the guy that put the ball on them is just a ridiculous thought.

Last edited:
If you're only getting 2 or 3 targets a game, it's easy to drop one or two. If you're getting 8 to 10 targets a game, it becomes easy to convert all but one or two. I keep going back to how we need our 4 or 5 most trusted receivers on the field as much as possible.

I'll say this - and I'm not in favor of a QB switch simply for the sake of change - if Robinson can hit receivers over the middle, that would be a valuable change, even if it's only for a few series.

Wexahu

Sounds like you're talking about the WR's rotation too much, which is a lot different than "the WRs have lost faith in the QB's ability to get them the ball."

I could believe that there's something to rotating too much/not getting in the flow of the game, but a WR dropping a very catchable ball because there's some sort of underlying lack of faith in the guy that put the ball on them is just a ridiculous thought.

The heavy rotations haven't helped either, but I disagree with you on the idea that having confidence in the ball being in the right place has no bearing on the chances of a WR catching a ball. Using another basketball anology, if a shooter coming around a screen knows the ball is going to be delivered on time right where he wants it, his odds of making the jumper increase because all he has to focus on is his footwork and his shot. If he's not quite as confident in the ball being where it needs to be, he first has to concentrate on just catching the ball. It definitely can throw off the timing and rhythm of the shot. You hear players talk up PGs ability to do this all the time and how much it helps them as shooters.

jake102

I'll say this - and I'm not in favor of a QB switch simply for the sake of change - if Robinson can hit receivers over the middle, that would be a valuable change, even if it's only for a few series.

Agree. As I jokingly posted on another thread, I'm pretty sure Kenny isn't allowed to throw the ball over the middle of the field. We have completely abandoned the 10-20 yard pass over the middle of the field.

LSU Game Attendee

Also heard Chip Kelly talk about a cadence of execution and how the challenge was getting every unit (QBs said:
In any game like this with a new qb (assuming mostly SR), I'm bracing myself for a fumbled snap and extra illegal motion/delay of game or two.

Frog-in-law1995

The heavy rotations haven't helped either, but I disagree with you on the idea that having confidence in the ball being in the right place has no bearing on the chances of a WR catching a ball. Using another basketball anology, if a shooter coming around a screen knows the ball is going to be delivered on time right where he wants it, his odds of making the jumper increase because all he has to focus on is his footwork and his shot. If he's not quite as confident in the ball being where it needs to be, he first has to concentrate on just catching the ball. It definitely can throw off the timing and rhythm of the shot. You hear players talk up PGs ability to do this all the time and how much it helps them as shooters.

Sounds like a decent explanation for a lower YAC, but not for drops.

Agree. As I jokingly posted on another thread, I'm pretty sure Kenny isn't allowed to throw the ball over the middle of the field. We have completely abandoned the 10-20 yard pass over the middle of the field.
Haha. Somebody said we are a three yards and a cloud of dust team this year. Well, he's right. We throw a sideways pass to the flat and then hope our 160lb receivers can kick up a cloud of dust blocking for the 160lb receiver who caught the pass.

SwissArmyFrog

I've been mystified this season, as we have what most would have agreed was a really good crop of receivers, and a QB who has definitely improved (pretty much gone are the inevitable first quarter interceptions, for example). But our passing game hasn't really seemed a threat commensurate with the ability our players were thought to have.

Funny, I remember a couple years ago our OL coach took a lot of heat here - said to be a great recruiter, but not doing well with the OL. So I thought I would check to see who's now coaching our receivers. Yep, he's now coaching inside receivers :D Not drawing any conclusions on that, just thought it was ironic.

Re: Texas game, sitting in the stands, I thought it was a struggle of our own making. We get up 17, and then the offense goes really conservative. Strategy worked, and we won, but it seemed like the staff said, "Wow, what we tried really worked and we're up 17, but it we probably can't maintain that, so let's go real conservative and count on our defense." If we had kept with the plan we got up 17 with, we might have scored significantly more...or we might have screwed things up. No way of knowing that now.

Wexahu

And if anyone is wondering why his INT #'s are down, I think this is it. It's by design. Those are the throws that are by far picked off most often if the QB isn't recognizing things in the secondary.

FrogCop19

A terrible poster continually pointed out that UT was going to be a struggle. I called him out on it because it wasn't a struggle. Then another poster said it was a struggle because the score was relatively close. I was only pointing out that UT wasn't a struggle. I used OU as a comparison to make a point because it's relevant. We didn't struggle with UT. OU didn't struggle with us. Nothing more. I'm saying the same thing you are.

World record achieved in most times using the word struggle in one paragraph.

Achievement unlocked: Struggle with Struggle