• The KillerFrogs

Texas hired CDC

Dogfrog

Agree. Heard much too much of "the standard" stuff. And that stuff about how for UT excellence and championships has ALWAYS been the goal, but they didn't learn that at TCU until a few y ears ago.....? Could have done without that. But he's a good guy, and not many of us would have turned down the offer he took.

I’m serious. Why is the UT AD job better than ours? The last two UT guys failed. The last three TCU guys parlayed it into very good jobs.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I’m serious. Why is the UT AD job better than ours? The last two UT guys failed. The last three TCU guys parlayed it into very good jobs.

It’s about power. The TCU AD position isn’t a power broker in college football. It is unlikely anyone would come to our AD hat in hand asking to kiss the ring and be allowed to ask for a spot in the B12.

Dogfrog

It’s about power. The TCU AD position isn’t a power broker in college football. It is unlikely anyone would come to our AD hat in hand asking to kiss the ring and be allowed to ask for a spot in the B12.

If he went there to get his ring kissed, he’s an ass.

flyfishingfrog

He is also the first AD in a long time to control the entire men’s and women’s programs from what I understand - so he has consolidated a lot of power in his new role - it’s a big deal even if it rubs me the wrong way...

texasrobster1997

You have pretty thick purple glasses if you have to ask that question. As a high school football player, you can definitely question why a player would choose UT over TCU now. On that level TCU is superior to UT. But the AD at UT has immensely more power than the AD at TCU. It’s like asking a high stakes gambler why can’t he be satisfied at the $5 blackjack table since it’s the same game.

Christcu

Just keep whipping their butts in Football, Basketball and Baseball. I could care less if he has "Power" at UTerus. We have superior Coaches in Football, Basketball, and Baseball, our facilities are awesome and we have plenty of $
Screw UT...go kick their butts Frogs!!!
JD is now the man....CDC is now history.
Beat the Horns!!!

frogs9497

While ego has to be a big factor in these decisions, I've been told by someone fairly close to the situation that CDC seemed to become restless in the last year or so. Assuming this is true, perhaps the "needing to be challenged" explanation has merit.

Dogfrog

You have pretty thick purple glasses if you have to ask that question. As a high school football player, you can definitely question why a player would choose UT over TCU now. On that level TCU is superior to UT. But the AD at UT has immensely more power than the AD at TCU. It’s like asking a high stakes gambler why can’t he be satisfied at the $5 blackjack table since it’s the same game.

Yes I wear purple glasses and yes UT is a huge power broker in intercollegiate athletics and yes TCU kicks UT’s ass in every major sport. Congratulations, Chris.

HG73

Exactly. CDC had to take this job but he'll regret it. He'll earn every penny before the inevitable power play forces him out. He's a very likable guy but he won't be able to make every one of them like him. How long did the last guy (Patterson) last? 6 months? He tried to make a few changes too.

Brog

If some business offered to double your current salary, include a whole list of attractive perks, would you consider it?

AustFrog

Exactly. CDC had to take this job but he'll regret it. He'll earn every penny before the inevitable power play forces him out. He's a very likable guy but he won't be able to make every one of them like him. How long did the last guy (Patterson) last? 6 months? He tried to make a few changes too.

Steve Patterson was not smart about his job and had very little personal charisma, both with the everyday fan, or with the check writers. The thing that will allow CDC to be successful is ability to relate to Joe 6-pack and to the 8, 9 and 10 digit guys. He knows it is a challenge, but I personally think that is what intrigued him - wondering if he was good enough to pull it off. He might not be, but hey, no regrets. I have very few regrets in life, but I was presented with a big challenge once and said no to it. 25 years later, I still wonder if I could've succeeded. Wish I'd tried it . . .

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
[QUOTE="Sebastian S, post: 2525877, member: 73189"

“Texas isn't such a bad place to go to.”

Yeah, he should expect a nice relaxing atmosphere in Austin. All the pundits are saying what. Great place it is to work...

frogs9497

He gets to live in Austin.

As much as I love Fort Worth, Austin is a nicer place, especially if you have money.

No doubt Austin has some very nice areas (so does FW).

My neighbor is a state judge who used to keep a house in Austin and here. He eventually sold the Austin house and now commutes from here. He said the politics and burnt orange were insufferable.