• The KillerFrogs

Texas hired CDC

AustFrog

So out to dinner Sunday night (after the announcement of course) here in Austin and CDC walks into the restaurant to meet with his new crew. He briefly said hello to us before heading to his dinner in a private room. But then about 45 min later, he left their dinner, mid-dinner, and came out to visit with the 2 of us. Pulled up a chair and told the two of us the full story for 15 minutes. Just the 3 of us. We laughed and lamented and took a great pic before he headed back to join the dark side. But the dude is a class act. I told him I wish him the best in all things except anytime UT plays TCU and then I wish him defeat! His full page article that I saw in the FWST today is one more example. And he will have our backs when the inevitable conference discussions come up.

Dogfrog

I think CDC knows he kicked us in the crotch and he might even feel bad about it. Going into this press conference all “Texas is the standard” then all the tears and emotion as though he had reached nirvana. Almost too much to take.

frogs9497

I think CDC knows he kicked us in the crotch and he might even feel bad about it. Going into this press conference all “Texas is the standard” then all the tears and emotion as though he had reached nirvana. Almost too much to take.

Kind of like a switch. One moment you bleed purple, a moment later you bleed burnt orange. It’s bidness.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Interesting discussion on XM College Sports with Neuheisel and Andy Staple about Texas and TCU.

CDC was a bit factor in TCU B12 rise and immediate success in football and baseball.

Neuheisel- CDC big part in facility upgrade.

Staples-Amon Carter is the best stadium in all of college football.

CDC going to Texas- OSU has Boone Pickens. TCU has 25 Boone Pickens. Texas has 150 Boone Pickens. Will have his work cut out mediating all the egos with big wallets.

Few ADs have left a situation in as in such good shape as CDC has left TCU athletics-see ranked football, baseball and now basketball.

If Herman loses to Missouri UT will be in exactly the same position Strong was in. They lose a lot this year and may have trouble contending. CDC will find himself dealing with impatient high rollers with a lot of influence that love to interject themselves into the decision making. Something he rarely, if ever, had at TCU.

Neuheisel- if anyone can do it CDC can.

Young and Horned

I do find it funny that he is taking his next "Challenge" which is the UT AD job. Which should be the easiest job in the world. SO what is the challenge? How to spend all that money he is going to be raking in.

Have no beef with him though. I would gladly take a much higher paid job to do less (assuming it is easier to raise money there). And he did do a lot for our program, that cannot be said enough.

Sebastian S

The way I see it, UT already has the resources and facilities. They already recruit at a high level no matter how good or bad their program is.

The problem they have are the coaches. No AD can fix that. Will the players all of a sudden play better because of a new AD?

At TCU, Schloss and Patterson were good coaches before we had the facilities and the ability to recruit.

I give him credit for the resurging basketball program. (Re)Building the Scholl and the Dixon hire directly responsible for the basketball program improving.

JogginFrog

The way I see it, UT already has the resources and facilities. They already recruit at a high level no matter how good or bad their program is.

The problem they have are the coaches. No AD can fix that. Will the players all of a sudden play better because of a new AD?

The problem at UT isn't the coaches; it's the boosters that think they get unfettered access to the programs. Strong didn't stop being a good coach when he left Louisville and then suddenly became a good coach again when he went to USF. It's the culture and the responsibilities that don't relate to on-field performance that do the coaches in.

CDC's biggest job at Texas is to be responsive enough to donors that he can get away with limiting access to the coaches and teams. Then the coaches can coach. CDC is the kind of guy who can make the big-money crybabies happy even as he's taking away their toy.

He'll get the donors to refocus on what they can give to the student-athletes, not what kind of quid pro quo they can negotiate. That's a simple job but it's a culture change, and there aren't many who can steer a ship as big as UT through something like that.

He'll do very well for UT. I hope he'll do so while limiting actions that directly harm TCU. Jeremiah getting the gig makes that more likely, I think. He's in CDC's "AD tree" and I bet CDC wants to be remembered as a guy who developed others into successful ADs.

AustFrog

The problem at UT isn't the coaches; it's the boosters that think they get unfettered access to the programs. Strong didn't stop being a good coach when he left Louisville and then suddenly became a good coach again when he went to USF. It's the culture and the responsibilities that don't relate to on-field performance that do the coaches in.

CDC's biggest job at Texas is to be responsive enough to donors that he can get away with limiting access to the coaches and teams. Then the coaches can coach. CDC is the kind of guy who can make the big-money crybabies happy even as he's taking away their toy.

He'll get the donors to refocus on what they can give to the student-athletes, not what kind of quid pro quo they can negotiate. That's a simple job but it's a culture change, and there aren't many who can steer a ship as big as UT through something like that.

He'll do very well for UT. I hope he'll do so while limiting actions that directly harm TCU. Jeremiah getting the gig makes that more likely, I think. He's in CDC's "AD tree" and I bet CDC wants to be remembered as a guy who developed others into successful ADs.

YEP!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

This is pretty much what Neuheisel said on XM. It isn’t the talent or the coaching. One coach won a NC and couldn’t do it every year. Not good enough. Charlie Strong won at Louisville, but didn’t come up with wins fast enough at UT.

Neuheisel said Texas’ biggest problem is that it lets outside money men that have no official affiliation have too much input and has fans with terribly high and unwarranted expectations. He said this will be CDC’s biggest job, trying to placate fans expectations and moneyed boosters.

texas_sicilian

This is pretty much what Neuheisel said on XM. It isn’t the talent or the coaching. One coach won a NC and couldn’t do it every year. Not good enough. Charlie Strong won at Louisville, but didn’t come up with wins fast enough at UT.

Neuheisel said Texas’ biggest problem is that it lets outside money men that have no official affiliation have too much input and has fans with terribly high and unwarranted expectations. He said this will be CDC’s biggest job, trying to placate fans expectations and moneyed boosters.
Good luck with that. You couldn’t pay me enough to deal with a bunch of rich entitled jack holes that don’t know the first thing about athletics, yet expect to have a say just because they fronted some cash.

Give them a nice suite, their name on the wall, and thanks for your contributions, we’ve got it from here.

frogs9497

Good luck with that. You couldn’t pay me enough to deal with a bunch of rich entitled jack holes that don’t know the first thing about athletics, yet expect to have a say just because they fronted some cash.

Give them a nice suite, their name on the wall, and thanks for your contributions, we’ve got it from here.

Can you imagine working for Jerry Jones... or 150 of them?

Sebastian S

It's just hard to fathom how that exactly works.

Let's just give a simple example, this forum and how we have many complaints and comments. If we were the boosters like in Texas, we can tell the coaches to bench Kenny Hill for Shawn Robinson and he would actually do it?

And if the coach doesn't comply?

Can't the coach just say I see these guys in practice everyday, I know what's best... then move on?

TAINTed frog

Agree. And, UT's athletic department (not including coaches) is almost 3 times as large as any other university. There are a lot of small fiefdoms within the department, so I've heard.

netty2424

So out to dinner Sunday night (after the announcement of course) here in Austin and CDC walks into the restaurant to meet with his new crew. He briefly said hello to us before heading to his dinner in a private room. But then about 45 min later, he left their dinner, mid-dinner, and came out to visit with the 2 of us. Pulled up a chair and told the two of us the full story for 15 minutes. Just the 3 of us. We laughed and lamented and took a great pic before he headed back to join the dark side. But the dude is a class act. I told him I wish him the best in all things except anytime UT plays TCU and then I wish him defeat! His full page article that I saw in the FWST today is one more example. And he will have our backs when the inevitable conference discussions come up.
Impressive. Hate to see him go but sounds like we're in good hands with Donati.

Brog

Agree. Heard much too much of "the standard" stuff. And that stuff about how for UT excellence and championships has ALWAYS been the goal, but they didn't learn that at TCU until a few y ears ago.....? Could have done without that. But he's a good guy, and not many of us would have turned down the offer he took.