• The KillerFrogs

OT: 22-year-old woman strangled in apartment near TCU

ftwfrog

I'd prefer torture of some sort, but whatever gets that piece of ship to hell in a hurry will suffice.
In this case, and most murder cases, I used to be for the death penalty. "Fry that darner!!" But then I watched HBO's Oz. From other sources I've read that Death Row inmates are very protected and go through at least a decade of appeals before they are out to death. 10 years of paying for this scumbags, meals, medical and laundry? No thanks. Put this dude in GenPop where he never knows where the next attack, butt rape, gang rape, torture or shank will come from. He needs to be Shillinger's Queen (Oz reference).

I refer back to the Boston Marathon bombing where the families didn't want the death penalty of scumbag brother #2 because they knew year after year they'd have to attend an appeal, only to bring up the awful memories time and time again.

So sad for the family. I'd say let them decide but that's not fair to put that on them either.

ftwfrog

(One of 4 on this board who aren't a lawyer)

Referring to the star telegram article, So "capital" murder means another crime took place at the same time. So it's murder, but if you stole their wallet in the meantime it's now capital murder?

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.

Referring to the star telegram article, So "capital" murder means another crime took place at the same time. So it's murder, but if you stole their wallet in the meantime it's now capital murder?
What if you did it the other way around. Is it capital theft?

frognutz

Well, specifically, another felony.

PO Frog

Yeah, but the jury will never hear about these prior incidents since there were no convictions. Still sounds like it's going to be a tricky case to prosecute without dropping down to lesser charges than Capital.
Isn't there a chance they get prior bad acts in to show MO, i.e. the choking?

Chongo94

Been reading that for several years,
Did Tarrant County contract that out?

You know, now that you mention it, you're right...been reading the same but guess this one just rattled my brain more to ask. Maybe they did. Still seems a bit odd.

Last edited:

Deep Purple

Why is he in the Mansfield jail? Did I read that correctly? Why is he not incarcerated here in Fort Worth?
Been reading that for several years,
Did Tarrant County contract that out?
Tarrant County Jail is sometimes at capacity. To avoid overcrowding, Tarrant County contracts with Mansfield to place overflow prisoners at their jail, which is rarely overcrowded.

This is nothing new. It has been a cooperative practice between jurisdictions for more than a century.

sketchy

Actually, several years ago, FWPD and Tarrant County couldn't work out a contract agreement.
So, FWPD worked out a contract with the city of Mansfield, and arrestees are taken to Mansfield Jail.
Those that can't make bail will remain in Mansfield, until DA's office files a charge. Once that happens, Tarrant County Sheriff's Dept. transports arrestee to Tarrant County Jail.

Deep Purple

Actually, several years ago, FWPD and Tarrant County couldn't work out a contract agreement.
So, FWPD worked out a contract with the city of Mansfield, and arrestees are taken to Mansfield Jail.
Those that can't make bail will remain in Mansfield, until DA's office files a charge. Once that happens, Tarrant County Sheriff's Dept. transports arrestee to Tarrant County Jail.
True enough. Strange as it may seem, the Fort Worth Police Department doesn't have a jail facility. Traditionally, they contracted with the Tarrant County Jail to hold their prisoners. And just as you reported, when no contractual agreement could be reached some years ago, Fort Worth contracted with Mansfield to hold its prisoners long-term. Tarrant County Jail only holds them short-term, pending arraignments or hearings or trials.

Thanks for correcting what I reported. Always appreciate correction by more accurate information.

ETXFrog

Ticket Exchange Pass
I used to have a job that required me to be at the tarrant county jail on a weekly basis. Some of the fwpd i interacted with told me that all crimes above a misdemeanor go to mansfield and all crimes below a felony go to tarrant county jail. If my memory serves me right most of the inmates at tc jail were booked for things like dwi, drug posession type charges.

Chico Dusty

Why is he in the Mansfield jail? Did I read that correctly? Why is he not incarcerated here in Fort Worth?

I don't know the answer, but I know I was arrested at Schooners by TABC for a fake id and after processed downtown they bussed me, shackled to another prisoner, in a caged split van in full prison jumpsuit to Mansfield. Thought is was a little overkill given my offense. Luckily my buddy came up with a genius plan to call random TCU dorm numbers because they all have the same first 3 numbers and some kid picked up at 4am and looked up our friends number on the TCU database, so we could call him to bail us out. Brutal night.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Fort Worth used to have a small jail facility in the basement of the Police HQ at 10th and Throckmorton. As I recall, a few cells were open to the elements, so in the wintertime, inmates who were particularly obnoxious or foul smelling got the outdoor accomodations.

f_399

We bailed a friend out years ago and it was a mess trying to find where he was, ended up picking him up in Mansfield.

HToady

Isn't there a chance they get prior bad acts in to show MO, i.e. the choking?
Was forman on a murder trial once. We got to hear prior convictions during the punishment phase, not the guilt phase. That way you can assign punishment based on continued behavior.

If I was the DA, and since neither resulted in a conviction, I would bring the the priors in to testify. Might get away with it.

tcudoc

Gotta convince one of my former companies to start providing the drugs again. I don't think the use of anonymous compounding pharmacies is a viable long-term solution. I feel like Hornady, RBCD, Lake City, and others would provide effective alternatives without hesitation.

Echo the thoughts and prayers for the family.
I have discussed this at length with others. There are a lot of political issues at play. Some of the best drugs for the job are not available because they are manufactured by companies who are anti death penalty (whether for their own beliefs or for fear of repercussions from the public). These companies say that they will not make their drugs available in the U.S. if they are used for executions. In addition, people who know how to administer the drugs in a clean and effective fashion are prohibited from participating in the process. For example, my certification board has stated that it will take away my "Diplomate" status if I were to participate related to the Hippocratic Oath of "first do no harm." I think nursing may have similar conflicts. So, you are left with non-medical people administering the drugs through IV's that have infiltrated, so the process takes 15-20 minutes and it is very uncomfortable to watch. Many would argue that they deserve to suffer, but I think they try their best to make it look clean. It would be very easy to formulate a plan that would be quick and painless and easy on the observers as well. They used to have that, but the availability of the proper drugs has become an issue. Specifically, propofol and pentothal. Pentothal is no longer manufactured and propofol distributors have threatened to cut off supply if it is used for this purpose. So, the prisoners are left with EMT level (at best) trained personnel to carry out the deed, and sometimes it gets pretty sloppy. Occasionally they try out new drug combinations, and that is a frequent source of the ugly lethal injections that you hear about on the news. If only they would ask someone who knew, they could avoid all of this.
In the old days, I think they used pentothal (for unconsciousness), pancuronium (to prevent muscle movement-looks cleaner) followed by potassium (to stop the heart). They would use orders of magnitude greater than normal doses of each drug to ensure effectiveness. Pretty effective overall.
I read the other day that they used midazolam (versed) and hydromorphone (dilaudid) for a lethal injection the other day and it went very poorly. I think anyone could have predicted that given their drug and dosage choices. All they would have had to do is add pancuronium and no one would have seen any muscle movement and it would have been more palatable for the family of the executed to watch. Still not sure why they let their family watch.
The process and the decisions each state make are fascinating and so often poorly thought out. Basically, they just need to ask someone who knows to give them a better recipe.

PO Frog

Was forman on a murder trial once. We got to hear prior convictions during the punishment phase, not the guilt phase. That way you can assign punishment based on continued behavior.

If I was the DA, and since neither resulted in a conviction, I would bring the the priors in to testify. Might get away with it.
I was actually hoping some criminal attorneys would weigh in, especially if they have practiced locally. I don't do criminal practice but know the rules allow for prior bad acts to come in for various purposes, one of which being MO. I was really just wanting to know the opinions of local practitioners and how likely it would be for a FW judge to see it that way.