• The KillerFrogs

OT: 22-year-old woman strangled in apartment near TCU

PurplFrawg

Administrator
In the old days, I think they used pentothal (for unconsciousness), pancuronium (to prevent muscle movement-looks cleaner) followed by potassium (to stop the heart). They would use orders of magnitude greater than normal doses of each drug to ensure effectiveness. Pretty effective overall.

If you agree with a typical dosage of 500 mg of pentothal and 10 mg of pancuronium for a 200 pound adult, the original TDC dosage when the first lethal injections started were 10 times that dose. 5 grams of pentothal and 100 mg of pancuronium did the trick, and from what I read, it worked well. I don't know how many m/Eq of potassium were given, but I suspect it was in a ratio similar to the others.

frognutz

If you agree with a typical dosage of 500 mg of pentothal and 10 mg of pancuronium for a 200 pound adult, the original TDC dosage when the first lethal injections started were 10 times that dose. 5 grams of pentothal and 100 mg of pancuronium did the trick, and from what I read, it worked well. I don't know how many m/Eq of potassium were given, but I suspect it was in a ratio similar to the others.

PJfGVvn.gif

HToady

According to the story, he killed Molly Matheson on April 9, was questioned by Police the morning of April 14, then immediately went out and killed this Plano woman, the afternoon of the same day....I guess he thought he was done anyway? Might as well kill another one.

froginaustin

It's hard to botch execution by guillotine. The last execution by guillotine was likely in France, that used the contraption until they abolished non-military death penalties I think in the late '70's. The French kept it around long enough to chop a few war-time collaborators.

The British used the German State of Hanover's guillotine to execute some "werewolves"-- Nazis dead-enders that tried to play terrorists in the British zone of occupation and murdered some folks right after WW2. The Brits used local civilian law to punish murderers, refusing to make it a war crime or a military offense. When self-government was restored in West Germany, the Germans did away with the civilian death penalty.

In the American South, we used to have an occasional "bad" hanging. Typically, the hangman miscalculated (or didn't bother to calculate) the proper drop, and the process yanked the prisoner's head off like a chicken having its neck wringed. That is apparently what happened to the late Saddam Hussein.

I am of the school that believes that a civilian execution shouldn't be calm or clean. If it's supposed to deter, then public and gruesome is better. As I understand it, a guillotining or a bad hanging will cause a corpse to pretty much dump its entire blood supply on the spot.