• The KillerFrogs

Oh boy..... this is gonna go over REAL well

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
TCU's last game against LSU comes to mind. Since that is history, I suppose relying on that game going forward is nothing more than reputation or opinion.
Right. That was what, 2013? 2012? I could point to TCU's last game with Toby's Business College and say we are lagging behind their performance. It would be just as nonsensical for me to say "well, even more recently TCU crushed the asses of the 2nd best SEC team (2014) that beat Bama that year." And then you counter with 2017 Georgia vs. Us in the bowl, and we get nowhere. None of those teams resemble the iterations we're discussing anymore.

I do not accept the "eye test" when it comes to the SEC simply because they are only "eye tested" against each other, and FCS squads. Their bowl records in recent years seem to indicate an "overhypedness". Whereas one might expect complete dominance, if one believes the "SEC is objectively better" argument, one would actually find that they normally end up right in the middle of all the other conferences.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
And let me not be misunderstood. There is one objective point the SEC can reference. Bama is the best program in the nation. This is indisputable. Outside of that though, I object to SEC perception of dominance.

MTfrog5

I don’t consider Missouri the middle of the SEC, more towards the bottom. If we’re using the fact that UT beat Missouri as some sort of gauge that the Big 12 is almost as good as the SEC, that’s not saying much. The programs like LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, A&M and Tennessee are on a whole superior to Texas Tech, Texas, TCU, Okie State, Kansas State and West Virginia. I’m not sure how that can really be debated.
We just going to ignore the fact that Tennessee went 0-8 in the SEC East?? And the fact they were on option 30 for a head coach

Wexahu

Right. That was what, 2013? 2012? I could point to TCU's last game with Toby's Business College and say we are lagging behind their performance. It would be just as nonsensical for me to say "well, even more recently TCU crushed the asses of the 2nd best SEC team (2014) that beat Bama that year." And then you counter with 2017 Georgia vs. Us in the bowl, and we get nowhere. None of those teams resemble the iterations we're discussing anymore.

I do not accept the "eye test" when it comes to the SEC simply because they are only "eye tested" against each other, and FCS squads. Their bowl records in recent years seem to indicate an "overhypedness". Whereas one might expect complete dominance, if one believes the "SEC is objectively better" argument, one would actually find that they normally end up right in the middle of all the other conferences.

SEC records against other conferences since 2012:

ACC - 33-30
Big 10 - 16-11
Big 12 - 16-12
Pac 12 - 7-3

In Bowl games
vs ACC - 10-9
vs Big 10 - 12-6
vs Big 12 - 9-5
vs P12 - 1-0

So winning records against every conference as well as winning records against every conference in Bowl Games. Yeah, I know some of that might be due to favorable matchups and such but other than the ACC, the records aren't really all that close even. Nobody here is saying the SEC is so far and above better that there's no way a Big 12 team could be better than an SEC team, just that as a whole the SEC is a stronger football conference. I don't see how that can be even debated. You've got mainly a group of large state schools with great football history, huge budgets and enthusiastic fan bases, they pay their coaching staffs the largest salaries and most of the schools are located in probably the most fertile recruiting ground in the country on a recruit per school basis. Is it any surprise that they might be the best?

Sebastian S

I think this is what got most riled up:

"The programs like LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, A&M and Tennessee are on a whole superior to Texas Tech, Texas, TCU, Okie State, Kansas State and West Virginia."

Yes, as a whole I do agree the SEC is the best conference.

Mean Purple

Take every conference’s best team away from them and the SEC is still the best. The Big 12 without OU would be a pretty [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ty league, as would be the ACC without Clemson and the Big 10 without Ohio State. The SECs biggest advantage over the other leagues is that their middle and bottom tiers are far stronger on average than other leagues IMO.
You're your own troll.

Wexahu

I think this is what got most riled up:

"The programs like LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, A&M and Tennessee are on a whole superior to Texas Tech, Texas, TCU, Okie State, Kansas State and West Virginia."

Yes, as a whole I do agree the SEC is the best conference.

Well, sometimes the truth hurts. Let's take Georgia and TCU out the debate and call those two a draw. Florida has won 3 national titles in the past 25 years. LSU has won two. Auburn and Tennessee have won a title. Yep, sometimes those programs slip up and have years where they aren't very good but the overall potential of those programs is so much greater than K-State, Texas Tech, West Virginia and Okie State that it's not even worth talking about.

AroundWorldFrog

All in all, impressive thread troll job deliberately stirring [ Finebaum ] up by the guy that thinks people get stirred up too easily.

meh

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
SEC records against other conferences since 2012:

ACC - 33-30
Big 10 - 16-11
Big 12 - 16-12
Pac 12 - 7-3

In Bowl games
vs ACC - 10-9
vs Big 10 - 12-6
vs Big 12 - 9-5
vs P12 - 1-0

So winning records against every conference as well as winning records against every conference in Bowl Games. Yeah, I know some of that might be due to favorable matchups and such but other than the ACC, the records aren't really all that close even. Nobody here is saying the SEC is so far and above better that there's no way a Big 12 team could be better than an SEC team, just that as a whole the SEC is a stronger football conference. I don't see how that can be even debated. You've got mainly a group of large state schools with great football history, huge budgets and enthusiastic fan bases, they pay their coaching staffs the largest salaries and most of the schools are located in probably the most fertile recruiting ground in the country on a recruit per school basis. Is it any surprise that they might be the best?
So you're posting records that show competence and competitiveness, maybe even SLIGHT advantage, but then stating that it's not really debateable? By its definition it's debateable.

Frog-in-law1995

Stuff like this is just totally not true. Georgia has been a very solid team for a long, long time.

Georgia records since 1990:
90's - 72-43-1 (62% winning %)
00's - 98-31 (78% winning %)
10's - 77-31 (71% winning %)
Record since 2012 - 61-14 (81% winning %)

TCU's records since 1990:
90's - 51-61-1 (45% winning %)....playing in the SWC, WAC and CUSA
00's - 95-29 (77% winning %)......playing in the WAC, CUSA and MWC)
10's - 75-19 (72% winning %).....playing in the MWC and Big 12
Record since joining Big 12 - 51-27 (65% winning %)

So even though Georgia "hasn't been good" until recently, in the 00's they managed to have a better winning % than TCU had in that same decade. Their winning % this decade is almost as good as TCU's even though they didn't have the benefit of playing in the MWC for two years. Their record since when TCU joined the Big 12 is substantially better. I didn't even bother showing records from the 80's, that wouldn't even be fair to the Frogs.

So if Georgia hasn't been good until just recently, where does that put TCU? Are we even good at all?

That's some serious tone deaf stuff right there. It's amazing how people see everyone else's warts but none of their own. That translates to conference arguments as well.

98-31 is a 76% winning percentage.

nwlafrog

Didn't know who he was, had to click and find out he is from a&m.

Lol

has a&m accomplished on the field in football? In the sec.

They know they can't be anything especially with Saban in Alabama. Might as well pull the conference card.

Fun fact - Aggy will never get as many SEC championships as Tulane who is now in the American conference.

Also, shout out to aggy for their 1 b12 title. Only took us 2 years to get our first.