• The KillerFrogs

I understand Mosiello has all this pedigree.....

Dman890

My positive on this negative thread is that we are nitpicking because the goal is a national championship. Not just a final 4.

However I can imagine more informed discussions on this topic are happening among our coaches and team.

Bob

Now, what I really want to hear is Kyle Son of Peter's opinion on all this. He is the reason I would buy a drink for whoever invented the mute button.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
But this team can't hit a lick!!!

There probably aren't many that remember the Dodgers of the Kaufax/Maury Wills era, but TCU is just like them. With Kaufax, Drysdale and Osteen they had the pitching. With Wills Gilliam et al they ran the bases with Punch and Judy hoisting. They went the World Series too...

jake102

SHEESH! Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. TCU is in the final freaking 4 for the 2nd year in a row. I'd say our coaches are plenty good. Tons of programs out there would love to have them and have the success TCU has had the last 7 years I bet.

This program has moved from getting into the CWS to needing to win it.

That being said, if today is our day to go home, then I'm sure everyone will still call it a good season in light of Baker.

Last edited:

Zubaz

We are also facing elite pitchers. We did good to run the Louisville starter out of the game. The LV bullpen guys had elite stats, and Faedo did too.

We are in the final four! Enjoy it.
I think there's this tendency once you get to playoff baseball to think your hitting has "disappeared" when, yeah, as you said it's mostly that we're facing some elite pitching teams. Pitching wins titles.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
It's pretty rough right now. Going to need that to turn around immediately with Wymer out.

This program has moved from getting into the CWS to needing to win it.

That being said, if today is our day to go home, then I'm sure everyone will still call it a good season in light of Baker.
On the PGA Tour there is always the "best player to have never won a major". If there is an equivalent in college baseball it is most definitely not TCU. Maybe when FSU gets that 23 trips without a championship monkey off their back we will take the throne. Until then the Frogs just need to keep getting there and giving themselves the chance to win it all. Regular appearances without a championship won't hurt recruiting.

And yes, we all want a championship. But we aren't in "needing to win it" territory yet.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Based on what these guy's had to overcome, I think it will be a great season. Pre-season #1 pressures, Baker's injury, Janczak's injury, Watson's lack of power, Skoug's strikeouts, Barzilli's batting average, poor Freshmen relievers, and on-and on.... In my opinion, this is Schloss's best year.
Sounds like the 2015 football season. Make sure CJS is wearing a purple shirt and Frogs will do what seems impossible.

SuperTFrog

If my math is right, there have been 88 runs scored in 10 CWS games. That is 4.4 runs per team per game.

Looks like all of the teams need to fire their hitting coaches. No way it has to do with good pitching.

tcumaniac

I don't know how much blame you can put on a hitting coach for a team not hitting well at this level of play, but I do question some of Mosiello's decisions.

For example, I still can't beleive he gave Nolan the green light to swing on that 3-0 pitch.

And yes. I get that our M.O. is to be aggressive on the base paths, and I respect the theory behind it, but I do feel like we are wrecklessly agressive at times when we need don't need to be taking risks and killing the momentum.

Even Schloss during the the interview last night admitted he often finds himself having to bite his lip when we run ourselves out of innings... but it appears he trusts Mosiello...and without agressive baserunning in the second, we don't score 4 runs.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

I think there's this tendency once you get to playoff baseball to think your hitting has "disappeared" when, yeah, as you said it's mostly that we're facing some elite pitching teams. Pitching wins titles.

There's truth in this. And there's truth in that we haven't been a good hitting team all year long and clearly less than the prior season with the same cast of characters. Even our coaches have repeatedly said that we haven't hit our stride (or played our best ball). Pitching is where we have traditionally loaded up. Pitching has been what is driving our success through the playoffs. Need to keep it going. Facing a team tonight with almost an identical system for winning.

Deep Purple

This is Deep we're talking about here....not shocking he would pick K/BB ratio over ERA.
Lol. You know, the thought wasn't original to me. I've actually heard it from interviews with 2 or 3 retired major league pitchers. Of course, it's a "weird critique" because those guys don't have a clue what they're talking about compared to all the self-important experts around here.

zgJ9z_s-200x150.gif

Pharm Frog

If my math is right, there have been 88 runs scored in 10 CWS games. That is 4.4 runs per team per game.

Looks like all of the teams need to fire their hitting coaches. No way it has to do with good pitching.

Another way of looking at this is that there have been twelve times a team has scored four runs or less in a game at the CWS. Only three times have those teams won their games and every time it has involved the Frogs. 3-0 win for FL. 4-1 win for TCU over Ag and 4-3 win for Frogs last night. Eight of those twelve times occurred in our half of the bracket.