• The KillerFrogs

I understand Mosiello has all this pedigree.....

Moose Stuff

Lol. You know, the thought wasn't original to me. I've actually heard it from interviews with 2 or 3 retired major league pitchers. Of course, it's a "weird critique" because those guys don't have a clue what they're talking about compared to all the self-important experts around here.

zgJ9z_s-200x150.gif

I'm very open to the idea that ERA is an overrated stat and I'm also a huge advocate of the importance of stats like K/BB ratio. That being said, the number of inherited runners that relievers allow to score is extremely low on the list of reasons why ERA might be overrated.

Ron Swanson

I'm very open to the idea that ERA is an overrated stat and I'm also a huge advocate of the importance of stats like K/BB ratio. That being said, the number of inherited runners that relievers allow to score is extremely low on the list of reasons why ERA might be overrated.
I think K:BB ratio is a great stat when projecting a pitcher's "stuff" for the next level.

And obviously a pitcher's defense behind him can affect his ERA. But I still think a pitcher's ERA is a solid stat to tell you how good he is at this level.

Moose Stuff

I think K:BB ratio is a great stat when projecting a pitcher's "stuff" for the next level.

And obviously a pitcher's defense behind him can affect his ERA. But I still think a pitcher's ERA is a solid stat to tell you how good he is at this level.
Sure. I'm not saying it's useless. Just saying that when I want some insight into how well a pitcher is performing I'm going straight to 4 numbers...... innings pitched, hits, strikeouts, and walks. I note the ERA but it doesn't have much impact on my opinion of the player.

Pharm Frog

Sure. I'm not saying it's useless. Just saying that when I want some insight into how well a pitcher is performing I'm going straight to 4 numbers...... innings pitched, hits, strikeouts, and walks. I note the ERA but it doesn't have much impact on my opinion of the player.

Especially with high school pitchers and the lunacy of how games are scored. I had a coach tell me a couple of years ago that if a kid got on by a walk or HBP and eventually scored, he was counting it as unearned because he had been given a "gift" by the pitcher and gifts aren't earned. I less than politely told him that he was a fool and that he should let the rules of scoring determine things like that.

Moose Stuff

Especially with high school pitchers and the lunacy of how games are scored. I had a coach tell me a couple of years ago that if a kid got on by a walk or HBP and eventually scored, he was counting it as unearned because he had been given a "gift" by the pitcher and gifts aren't earned. I less than politely told him that he was a fool and that he should let the rules of scoring determine things like that.

Not to mention the 17 year old stat girl or team mom that's keeping the official book that thinks every time a kid gets on base it's a hit.

flyfishingfrog

On the PGA Tour there is always the "best player to have never won a major". If there is an equivalent in college baseball it is most definitely not TCU. Maybe when FSU gets that 23 trips without a championship monkey off their back we will take the throne. Until then the Frogs just need to keep getting there and giving themselves the chance to win it all. Regular appearances without a championship won't hurt recruiting.

And yes, we all want a championship. But we aren't in "needing to win it" territory yet.
Not what he said

Not even close actually

Jet Set Frog

Lol. You know, the thought wasn't original to me. I've actually heard it from interviews with 2 or 3 retired major league pitchers. Of course, it's a "weird critique" because those guys don't have a clue what they're talking about compared to all the self-important experts around here.

Were they pitchers who were trying to explain why their career ERA's were too high? Because it sounds like they were pitchers who were trying to explain why their career ERA's were too high.

Pharm Frog

Not to mention the 17 year old stat girl or team mom that's keeping the official book that thinks every time a kid gets on base it's a hit.

Agreed but I can kinda overlook that at times. They are volunteers and training is highly variable. It's the coaches who should and do know better but decide to screw around with the scoring rules for whatever purpose they think needs to be suited.

FWIW - Daughter of Pharm has been dragged to so many baseball games in her life that the only way she could "get through it" was to learn how to keep score -- AND, bonus for our screen-addicted generation -- she could score games on her phone! We would sometimes compare how I scored it. She got to be pretty good but there were times that E's were given to players that she thought were jerks or had stupid facial hair when a clean-cut kid might not have gotten an E. High school coach asked her to score games for the team when she wasn't at track meets. She wasn't having any of that at all. Told him that she had just gotten used to life without her brother around and had less than no interest in being around baseball players that she didn't have to.

Deep Purple

Don't think I mentioned anything about inherited runners. I simply mean there are several non-pitching factors that figure into ERA, like quality of defense and even the competence or objectivity of the official scorer. I didn't say ERA is worthless. Just that it's overrated.

Moose Stuff

Don't think I mentioned anything about inherited runners. I simply mean there are several non-pitching factors that figure into ERA, like quality of defense and even the competence or objectivity of the official scorer. I didn't say ERA is worthless. Just that it's overrated.
You specifically mentioned a pitcher's ERA being influenced by the pitchers who relieve him. If that wasn't a reference to inherited runners then it makes even less sense than I thought it did.

Tumbleweed

Re-watched some portions of the game this am. Noticed immediately our three hitter. Lordy, if he ever slipped that bat out of his hands, that bat would end up south of Padre. Think he is trying too hard. Could be, all of them just need to slow their minds down and see the rotation coming at them.

flyfishingfrog

He said we need to win. Not sure what you got out of it. But thanks for your average opinion.
He was saying that the people who keep telling everyone "you should all just stop analyzing everything because we got here and everything else is gravy" need to swallow that and realize we still can win it all - so we need to keep focus on winning it all and look back on the season AFTER the season

He didn't say not winning the championship had any effect on our recruiting or made us look bad or that we were the "best without a championship"

Last edited: