• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Purp

The baby is a little small and there are a couple other issues with the pregnancy, so the docs have said they are likely going to induce around 37-39 weeks, which would be roughly August 18-31.

Our closing date is August 31. Timing is awful obviously, but we found a house we loved and we had to pull the trigger.

And yeah, we wouldn't be moving if we weren't having the kid, but we aren't moving to the suburbs, we're moving to the Meyerland area where I grew up. My parents still live there and my sister does now as well with her three sons. My mom is recently retired and has offered to babysit for the first year after my wife's maternity leave is over, which should save us about $12K in nursery costs. We are currently about ten miles away from my parents and the new house is 1 mile away, so this will make getting the baby to my parent's house every morning a million times easier.

Plus we found a 4 bedroom 2700 sq ft home that's been nicely updated on a quiet street and zoned to good schools. And we got a great deal on it (probably the first time I've ever really felt like I "won" a negotiation).

There's a lot on our plate, but I'm confident in the decision and excited about everything.
Hope everything comes out okay (literally and figuratively). Both of our boys are on the small side. Like 5th percentile type small. Doctors expressed a little concern during the pregnancies, but they were both healthy. Hope it's nothing too serious and just an overly cautious doctor.

The timing sounds brutal, but the proximity to your folks is awesome for the baby. We like the day care our boys go to, but I'd much prefer them be watched by family than day care. It's not even about the money we'd save as much as it is the attention and nurturing of family. I'm a little old fashioned that way bc I think it was an important part of my rearing.

Good luck with the transition. It's definitely going to be a whirlwind for you.

Last edited:

Purp

Saw both Basil Hayden's and Four Roses single barrel at a local liquor store in Norman. The four roses ran about $45-50 is that about normal? They tend to price gouge in oklahoma due to the antiquated liquor laws in this damn state.

I can't recall what the basil Hayden's price was of the top of my head.
Yeah. Pretty sure I paid $45 at Total Wine last time. It was $49.50 at the bottling facility last weekend.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Saw both Basil Hayden's and Four Roses single barrel at a local liquor store in Norman. The four roses ran about $45-50 is that about normal? They tend to price gouge in oklahoma due to the antiquated liquor laws in this damn state.

I can't recall what the basil Hayden's price was of the top of my head.
Before buying Basil Hayden you should consider that I also drink cheap whiskey quite regularly. Mixed with whatever I feel like in the moment. I may not be your best source.

If you want to know about wine I can be of better service.

netty2424

I'm in the process of moving. I can't find silverware for my kids to use to eat. Or clean socks.
How old are your kids? My two year old tries to use a spork but just ends up using her hands. And just when I get excited that she ate all of the meat and cheese out of two whole tacos, I find it all in her bib and lap. I'm quickly reminded that she doesn't eat enough to keep a bird alive.

netty2424

The baby is a little small and there are a couple other issues with the pregnancy, so the docs have said they are likely going to induce around 37-39 weeks, which would be roughly August 18-31.

Our closing date is August 31. Timing is awful obviously, but we found a house we loved and we had to pull the trigger.

And yeah, we wouldn't be moving if we weren't having the kid, but we aren't moving to the suburbs, we're moving to the Meyerland area where I grew up. My parents still live there and my sister does now as well with her three sons. My mom is recently retired and has offered to babysit for the first year after my wife's maternity leave is over, which should save us about $12K in nursery costs. We are currently about ten miles away from my parents and the new house is 1 mile away, so this will make getting the baby to my parent's house every morning a million times easier.

Plus we found a 4 bedroom 2700 sq ft home that's been nicely updated on a quiet street and zoned to good schools. And we got a great deal on it (probably the first time I've ever really felt like I "won" a negotiation).

There's a lot on our plate, but I'm confident in the decision and excited about everything.
Obviously don't know all of the details other than what you shared, but you'll be surprised how resilient babies are. Hoping nothing but the best for you, wifey, and new squid.

My daughter is going through terrible two's right now and she's really pushing the limits with us as she's constantly testing us. We had a blow up last night, I'd had enough so she went to bed early as a result, which has never happened before. She screamed for an hour in her crib. It was brutal. Tonight I kind of felt like she knew she messed up last night and was super sweet. Out of no where she jumped on the couch, cuddled up to me and kissed my cheek.

That right there will change a man and all those worries you're having now will be a distant memory. Makes it all worth it.

Best of luck.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
How old are your kids? My two year old tries to use a spork but just ends up using her hands. And just when I get excited that she ate all of the meat and cheese out of two whole tacos, I find it all in her bib and lap. I'm quickly reminded that she doesn't eat enough to keep a bird alive.
6 and 7. I try to get them to use silver ware. It doesn't always work. Don't care though. Kids will be kids and I try to let them be.

They have been awesome trying to help us unpack. Every box they open is like Christmas morning. Except it's stuff they already have but they don't seem to care. My son unwrapped a football and ran around the house yelling about how happy he was to have his football. I'm pretty sure he didn't ever touch that particular football prior to today.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Obviously don't know all of the details other than what you shared, but you'll be surprised how resilient babies are. Hoping nothing but the best for you, wifey, and new squid.

My daughter is going through terrible two's right now and she's really pushing the limits with us as she's constantly testing us. We had a blow up last night, I'd had enough so she went to bed early as a result, which has never happened before. She screamed for an hour in her crib. It was brutal. Tonight I kind of felt like she knew she messed up last night and was super sweet. Out of no where she jumped on the couch, cuddled up to me and kissed my cheek.

That right there will change a man and all those worries you're having now will be a distant memory. Makes it all worth it.

Best of luck.
There is no better thing in life than a kid that cuddles up to you because they can and want to do so.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Edit: on a lighter note, been perusing for another bourbon or two to add to my collection. I'm sure it's been discussed here, but what's everyone's go to bourbon? I've been on the lookout for Blanton's but have struck out in oklahoma so far.

According to Mila Kunis, Jim Beam Black is the best bourbon in the world.
mila-kunis-jim-beam-make-history-cocktail-reception-february-2014_1.jpg

I wouldn't know - I don't drink the brown water.

netty2424

Yep. If your day is ship just hug your kid. Nothing else matters.
Until they ship themselves and you're just about to eat dinner after a long day at work and it turns out to be the biggest dirtiest ship they've ever had and you accidentally rake your finger through it and you realize your wife didn't fill the wipe container this morning after changing a diaper. That darning matters.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
He plays flag football but that one was a rose bowl football I got as a gift and had in his room on a shelf. He has no idea what it means because he was 6 months old when Tank Carder did his thing. But he couldn't have been happier. Which made me happy. When he is ready we will watch it on YouTube and I will explain it all to him.

Horny 4 Life

Just returned to work today after finishing up my one short week of paternity leave taking care of my newborn son.

Plus we have had a nonstop stream of family members here since just before he was born. Been a bit busy in our neck of the woods lately.

Edit: on a lighter note, been perusing for another bourbon or two to add to my collection. I'm sure it's been discussed here, but what's everyone's go to bourbon? I've been on the lookout for Blanton's but have struck out in oklahoma so far.

If you really want Blanton's shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up. Are you looking for it because you like it or you want to try it?

If you know you already like it, Ancient Age, Elmer T Lee, Rock Hill Farms, and Hancock's Reserve are the same mashbill, so they share basic taste profiles. You may want to check them out.

ATC Frog

If you really want Blanton's shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up. Are you looking for it because you like it or you want to try it?

If you know you already like it, Ancient Age, Elmer T Lee, Rock Hill Farms, and Hancock's Reserve are the same mashbill, so they share basic taste profiles. You may want to check them out.

Was looking for it because of the good things I'd heard about it. I asked my brother to check around in Texas at the bigger liquor stores (like total wine) that we don't have in oklahoma. It's not a big deal one way or another, just trying to expand my bourbon collection. I'll add your suggestions to my short list of ones to look for.

Shorty

I was literally just thinking the same thing and was about to bring the thread back to the top. Is the thread dying or is everyone on summer vacation?
Not to rub it in ATC Frog's face but I'm in the middle of my 9 week paternity leave (and have another 2 weeks to use in the first 6 months).

Ron Swanson

We aren't very worried, but it's not an ideal pregnancy so far. All of the baby's vitals and everything are fine, and mom is perfectly healthy so far (plus we've seen some super cool 3D images/videos of her face so we're pretty sure she looks normal) she's just hovering around that 4-5th percentile in size so the doctors have some concerns about her going full term. Apparently for babies around that size, when you go past 37 weeks, there is a tiny chance that a still birth can happen, which is what they're trying to avoid. Because of the size, they have my wife going in for weekly checkups as opposed to every 2-3 weeks.

Like I said, they aren't worried and we aren't worried, but there are just some precautions they are taking. Chances are everything is fine and Ruby just takes after her mom, who is 5'2" 108 lbs (before I knocked her up).

TCURiggs

We aren't very worried, but it's not an ideal pregnancy so far. All of the baby's vitals and everything are fine, and mom is perfectly healthy so far (plus we've seen some super cool 3D images/videos of her face so we're pretty sure she looks normal) she's just hovering around that 4-5th percentile in size so the doctors have some concerns about her going full term. Apparently for babies around that size, when you go past 37 weeks, there is a tiny chance that a still birth can happen, which is what they're trying to avoid. Because of the size, they have my wife going in for weekly checkups as opposed to every 2-3 weeks.

Like I said, they aren't worried and we aren't worried, but there are just some precautions they are taking. Chances are everything is fine and Ruby just takes after her mom, who is 5'2" 108 lbs (before I knocked her up).

#humblebrag

Latest posts