• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Purp

We aren't very worried, but it's not an ideal pregnancy so far. All of the baby's vitals and everything are fine, and mom is perfectly healthy so far (plus we've seen some super cool 3D images/videos of her face so we're pretty sure she looks normal) she's just hovering around that 4-5th percentile in size so the doctors have some concerns about her going full term. Apparently for babies around that size, when you go past 37 weeks, there is a tiny chance that a still birth can happen, which is what they're trying to avoid. Because of the size, they have my wife going in for weekly checkups as opposed to every 2-3 weeks.

Like I said, they aren't worried and we aren't worried, but there are just some precautions they are taking. Chances are everything is fine and Ruby just takes after her mom, who is 5'2" 108 lbs (before I knocked her up).
It sounds like your situation is almost identical to both of ours. Mom is 5 foot nothing and 100 lbs with wet hair and a ski suit on so her babies were also diminutive. Sucks for my boys that they'll be lucky to reach 5'6", but they're perfectly healthy and both had smooth deliveries.

Both of ours were induced. The first one was 8 days late and the second was 8 days early. We induced early more bc of the timing (my dad was out of town on the due date) than the risk. The checkups were so regular the last few weeks and he checked out perfect each time so we weren't very attentive to the stated risk.

Good luck Ron. Sounds like you're going to have a little fire cracker on your hands.

Purp

Not to rub it in ATC Frog's face but I'm in the middle of my 9 week paternity leave (and have another 2 weeks to use in the first 6 months).
What the hell kind of job do you have that you can miss 9 weeks and not impact your business? I'm happy for you and don't begrudge anybody taking it if it's offered, but I have a tough time with these kinds of leave policies. Do businesses really have to offer this amount of leave to compete for talent?

Frog-in-law1995

What the hell kind of job do you have that you can miss 9 weeks and not impact your business? I'm happy for you and don't begrudge anybody taking it if it's offered, but I have a tough time with these kinds of leave policies. Do businesses really have to offer this amount of leave to compete for talent?

Wish I'd had that option. But as it was, mine was born early so I ended up taking 5 days without prepping for an absence (3 of that was officially bereavement leave for my sister who unexpectedly died that same week). Came back to work and it took me 2 weeks to catch up. Can't imagine 9 weeks, but it would've been glorious.

Shorty

I work for a large insurance company in primary workers compensation claims. My work ends up spread around the office but we've all had to cover for people quitting, medical leave, etc so there's not any resentment about it. I'm one of those people that never uses all their PTO and I've called in sick once in 9 years. I'm gladly taking all of this time though.

talor

46c13c64f3b531633cb2266e13a4afbbb1faf5e4ad38d8763002770dbb741d22.jpg

Purp

Speaking of kids. I've meet Purp two times, and he already broke bro code! Brought the smallest Purp to the Super Regionals! Now mama wants another baby. Don't get me wrong. I like to wrestle, but I don't want no more wrestle trophies!
What if we offer to let her babysit as often as she needs to so that the itch subsides?

Horny 4 Life

Was looking for it because of the good things I'd heard about it. I asked my brother to check around in Texas at the bigger liquor stores (like total wine) that we don't have in oklahoma. It's not a big deal one way or another, just trying to expand my bourbon collection. I'll add your suggestions to my short list of ones to look for.

What kind of bourbon do you like now? There are tons of choices in bourbon these days and there's a lot of bad stuff mixed in with the good stuff.

Purp

We get four months paternity leave.
That's just crazy to me. I don't understand how it makes any sense to pay a man for 17-18 weeks of labor when you get zero productivity out of him.

As has already been said, I'd take it if it were available to me and I'd enjoy it thoroughly, but I think you should expect to get no paycheck while you were out and just take FMLA to protect your job.

If I was a small business owner and one of my employees asked me for 4 months of paternity leave I'd look at him like his dick was on his forehead. The only exception would be if the baby had some serious NICU issues at which point I'd look at him funny if he didn't ask for extended time off using FMLA.

netty2424

That's just crazy to me. I don't understand how it makes any sense to pay a man for 17-18 weeks of labor when you get zero productivity out of him.

I just took 6 weeks for paternity. I work from home so I jumped on email for a few minutes each day just to keep organized so coming back wouldn't be a complete disaster.

And you can thank the ladies who fought for equality all those years and continue to fight for it. Equality is a two way street! Thanks ladies!

ATC Frog

What kind of bourbon do you like now? There are tons of choices in bourbon these days and there's a lot of bad stuff mixed in with the good stuff.

Woodford Reserve is one of my go-tos, but I'm admittedly still in the infant stages of sampling many bourbons. Pretty sure I've had buffalo trace and four roses somewhere along the way and enjoyed them. Paddleford Creek is ok, Witherspoon single malt out of lewisville is delicious. I sampled a tiny bit of the 18 year pappy like 5 years ago, which was amazing

Just bought some W L Weller special reserve yesterday, but haven't had a chance to break into that yet.

Purp

I just took 6 weeks for paternity. I work from home so I jumped on email for a few minutes each day just to keep organized so coming back wouldn't be a complete disaster.

And you can thank the ladies who fought for equality all those years and continue to fight for it. Equality is a two way street! Thanks ladies!
I get that to an extent, but I just don't think men and women are that equal. This isnt to say men are better or worse than women; we're just very different in very obvious ways, particularly as it pertains to child birth.

At no time in history or in the future will a father be able to nurse his newborn baby. In certain circumstances I totally agree that the father must be available to support the wife in recovery and/or be there if the baby has health complications, but those situations don't happen often enough to make an HR policy offering 4 months of paternity leave, IMO.

I can't say this enough, but I'm very happy for you and your family that you get this much time with them. I'll also reiterate that if it were available to me I'd take full advantage of it as you are. I just wouldn't conceive of offering it to my employees if I owned a small business and I don't begrudge my employer for not offering it to me.

It's just a bizarre paradigm shift in noticing that I'm not totally comfortable with. Sorry for the soapbox.

Purp

On a more positive note, I had a scrong dinner with Horny 4 Life (HornedEagle) tonight. We met half way and had a good dinner and a few beers. I'd never met him before innperson, but I'll attest that he's a good dude and unique repository for bourbon facts. If you're ever in the Kentucky/Ohio/PA/WV area do yourself a favor and look him up.

Horny 4 Life

On a more positive note, I had a scrong dinner with Horny 4 Life (HornedEagle) tonight. We met half way and had a good dinner and a few beers. I'd never met him before innperson, but I'll attest that he's a good dude and unique repository for bourbon facts. If you're ever in the Kentucky/Ohio/PA/WV area do yourself a favor and look him up.

Scrong indeed. It's always nice to meet a fellow HASMSPer. I look forward to the next time.

Horny 4 Life

Woodford Reserve is one of my go-tos, but I'm admittedly still in the infant stages of sampling many bourbons. Pretty sure I've had buffalo trace and four roses somewhere along the way and enjoyed them. Paddleford Creek is ok, Witherspoon single malt out of lewisville is delicious. I sampled a tiny bit of the 18 year pappy like 5 years ago, which was amazing

Just bought some W L Weller special reserve yesterday, but haven't had a chance to break into that yet.

Oh boy. We've gotta work on your bourbon game. I hope that someday soon you look back on this part of your statement and laugh at yourself a bit.

If you like Woodford, you'll like Old Forester. It's the same juice, stored in the same location, but Woodford bottles are filled with the juice from the honey barrels. Everything else goes to Old Forester.

Weller Special Reserve is a nice choice for a starter. It's a wheater, so it's going to be gentler and a little easier to drink, IMO. It's the same mash bill as the Van Winkle line, but obviously not as good.

As most people on here know, I love me some Four Roses and I recommend their single barrel any chance you get. One of the best values in bourbon, IMO.

Seriously though, send me a PM if you'd like some samples of a wide range of bourbons to help you find your groove. I've got plenty of bourbon and plenty of 2oz sample bottles.

cdsfrog

Purp some companies let you break it up. My former employer gave 6 weeks, that you can use over the entire 1st year in 3 week blocks. For people that were there 5+ years they were looking at 66 days off in the year your child is born with weekends off. I agree guys cant do as much in the first few months, but from about month 4 to 1 year we can do basically anything long as you got a bottle.

Especially for dual working families, its helps to take the stress off them once they go back to work.

Latest posts