• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Del Conte, “I didn’t want that regret”

I don't think Del Conte finished his job at TCU. The goal should be to win a national championship in Football, Basketball, and Baseball then job finished in my opinion. He set the table to do this however.

TAINTed frog

This whole deal was obviously surprising but this article explains things pretty well. CDC did an incredible job here and is now moving on to one of the biggest, if not the biggest, AD jobs in the country. There's no denying how big of an opportunity it is for him, so it's hard to be upset with someone for jumping at something like that.

I'm thankful for where he left us, though, and I'm sure we'll make another great hire to replace him. TCU AD is a very attractive job at this point.
What’s interesting to me is that UT has just recently hired all there big time coaches (football, basketball, & baseball).

I always assumed ADs wanted to bring in their own hires. I guess the challenge for CDC is fundraising? Holding the new coaches accountable? I mean, those 3 coaches aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.

froghair

If CDC can wrangle in that dumpster fire in Austin, he ought to run for President. I'm really interested to see what he does there.

Will he now get a purple to burnt orange blood transfusion?

f_399

I don't think Del Conte finished his job at TCU. The goal should be to win a national championship in Football, Basketball, and Baseball then job finished in my opinion. He set the table to do this however.

That's more on the coaches.

The facilities and resources are in place.

froginaustin

Del Conte was very good at his job. So was Danny Morrison, and Eric Hyman before Chris.

TCU doesn’t seem to me to have the hubris at the top administrative level that UTx had when it hired Steve Patterson. I’ll be surprised if TCU doesn’t make another excellent hire.

And yes, Del Conte will have major fund raising expectations. I can remember, decades ago in another life when I was a part time staffer at the Lege, an older, wiser, full time staffer told a group of us fledglings that the toughest job in the building was lobbying for UTx. UTx— a pig standing in a trough drooling food screaming “feed me! Feed me! I’m starving.”

Limey Frog

Good for CDC; onward to a new challenge. He did it all here, for which I'm thankful. I'm sure many other posters have already observed this, but it could be very helpful to TCU to have a friend down in Austin. Yes, he's a professional and his loyalty is now to UT. But I have a hard time imagining him quietly working behind the scenes to blow up the Big XII and leave TCU out in the cold. My presumption is usually that UT athletics directors and other admin/boosters might do that at any given moment.

Frozen Frog

It never hurts to have allies. When realignment gets rolling again TCU will need all the allies it can find especially with its smaller fanbase. I imagine CDC will help TCU when possible even if it is just a kind word of support. These allies often come in the form of opponents. Playing other P5 schools and beating other P5 schools helps. They can see the facilities you can offer. They understand the travel. They also know you can compete. Those relationships are able to grow. There is a reason why he along with the coaches have scheduled strong OOC games. It isn't fun that the Ohio State is a one and done situation, but it does show that we will work with teams. That is important.

I think Rice is a different issue and maybe why he left. If I remember correctly Rice nearly dropped to D3 athletics, but chose to remain at the D1 level for baseball and historical rivalries. There wasn't going to be a ton of opportunity for growth.

I wish CDC the best at UT, but I think this is going to be move he greatly regrets. Much of the UT athletic program is in shambles. He is going to have to make some coaching moves in the near future that might not be popular. I think he is also going to have to figure out how to make the LHN profitable. That is not going to be easy. There are too many other options for streaming. I think UT joined that party late, and they are struggling with it. They will never be able to fill the content needed to make it profitable while the casual fan can always turn to another station and find something better. I saw a bitter fight over a school selling its radio station that was the equivalent to KTCU. People were furious, but the offer was high. That radio station struggles to be profitable while the content that was on it now has a greater reach through streaming at a much lower cost.

Christcu

Del Conte, “I didn’t want that regret”

BY BIG STEAMING PILE
tengel@star-telegram.com

No one at TCU wants to hear this but athletic director Chris Del Conte made the right, easy, decision.

For years, Del Conte waived off any notion that he could, or should, leave TCU for a different job.

In September of 2015, I wrote Texas should hire Del Conte. I wrote, “I doubt he would leave TCU and Fort Worth for Austin, but I could not blame him if he did. It’s Texas. Texas is one of the top two or three jobs in the United States.”

His response to me was that he had the best job in America, and he meant it. At that time, in his mind, to leave TCU was just going to be a lateral move of addresses. In his mind, TCU was the top.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article189023259.html

Latest posts