• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Del Conte, “I didn’t want that regret”

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Del Conte, “I didn’t want that regret”

BY BIG STEAMING PILE
tengel@star-telegram.com

No one at TCU wants to hear this but athletic director Chris Del Conte made the right, easy, decision.

For years, Del Conte waived off any notion that he could, or should, leave TCU for a different job.

In September of 2015, I wrote Texas should hire Del Conte. I wrote, “I doubt he would leave TCU and Fort Worth for Austin, but I could not blame him if he did. It’s Texas. Texas is one of the top two or three jobs in the United States.”

His response to me was that he had the best job in America, and he meant it. At that time, in his mind, to leave TCU was just going to be a lateral move of addresses. In his mind, TCU was the top.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article189023259.html

Kyle101011

This quote by CDC makes me feel good about the situation.

“When TCU hired me they said, ‘Can you get us into a BCS conference and can you build us a new stadium. We did that. I had the best job in America. And, with Gary Patterson, Jamie Dixon and Jim Schlossnagle, and all of the other great coaches and Chancellor Boschini, TCU is set. I really think we have built one of the best athletic departments in the country. We did everything we set out to do. We blew it out of the water. I mean, what else is left?”

HG73

“When TCU hired me they said, ‘Can you get us into a BCS conference and can you build us a new stadium. We did that. I had the best job in America. And, with Gary Patterson, Jamie Dixon and Jim Schlossnagle, and all of the other great coaches and Chancellor Boschini, TCU is set. I really think we have built one of the best athletic departments in the country. We did everything we set out to do. We blew it out of the water. I mean, what else is left?”
Well, in this case, what is left is hundreds of meddling boosters at a school with a mediocre football program, mediocre basketball programs and a mediocre baseball program. One slip up and the blade awaits.

cdsfrog

Damn CDC lays it out nicely. Still darning Texas scheiss but yeah I get it. He accomplished what he set out to do and wanted a new challenge. Dammit

rifram09

well... I don't blame him for leaving, but now saying "Texas is one of the most iconic brands in country" and "I didn't want to regret passing on this opportunity" doesn't jibe with his previous statements of "TCU is tops for me."

Much prefer the GMFP approach where he says he'll never say never. Then each time he passes on another job it reaffirms our status. Words are cheap, actions are transformative.

I wish CDC well, and I understand why he would want a new challenge at a major player like UT, but I don't have to like his inconsistent words.

cdsfrog

Rather we like it not, nationally UTs brand is much stronger and probably always will be. Turning around that failed dumpster fire will make him look like a hero.

Probably similar to Alabama who had a joke of a football program for a long time and now it's easily the best in the country again.

Realtorfrog

So now Muck’s taking credit!
Well, in this case, what is left is hundreds of meddling boosters at a school with a mediocre football program, mediocre basketball programs and a mediocre baseball program. One slip up and the blade awaits.

This hire was an ego hire

rifram09

Rather we like it not, nationally UTs brand is much stronger and probably always will be. Turning around that failed dumpster fire will make him look like a hero.

Probably similar to Alabama who had a joke of a football program for a long time and now it's easily the best in the country again.

Agreed. But rather than like it, I don't like it. That's true whether you like it or not.

netty2424

35135957.jpg

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I remember the Texas Monthly cover a couple years ago of Steve Patterson & Charlie Strong. Think they’ll do a repeat with CDC handing off the ball to Tom Herman? Nope.

Moose Stuff

Agree 100%. Sand this exact same thing yesterday.

TCURiggs

This whole deal was obviously surprising but this article explains things pretty well. CDC did an incredible job here and is now moving on to one of the biggest, if not the biggest, AD jobs in the country. There's no denying how big of an opportunity it is for him, so it's hard to be upset with someone for jumping at something like that.

I'm thankful for where he left us, though, and I'm sure we'll make another great hire to replace him. TCU AD is a very attractive job at this point.

Moose Stuff

This whole deal was obviously surprising but this article explains things pretty well. CDC did an incredible job here and is now moving on to one of the biggest, if not the biggest, AD jobs in the country. There's no denying how big of an opportunity it is for him, so it's hard to be upset with someone for jumping at something like that.

I'm thankful for where he left us, though, and I'm sure we'll make another great hire to replace him. TCU AD is a very attractive job at this point.

Last sentence is a fact.

Big Frog II

Yes, who wouldn't want to come in with Patterson, Dixon, and Schlossnagle already here.

HToady

I would have to assume, watching the dynamics of this unfold, that CDC will always be a friend to TCU, and having a "friend" in such an influential position, might again serve us well when realignment comes. UT fans seem to think so.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

This is like being dumped by a hotty to go be with the richest guy in town with nosy meddling parents. It always hurts a little, but rarely do you wish her well, especially when the really rich guy is a total asshat.

f_399

Yes, who wouldn't want to come in with Patterson, Dixon, and Schlossnagle already here.
The next AD will have to be Patterson approved through and through.

I think we all know who the "boss" is here.

The next AD will probably see Patterson eventually retire.