• The KillerFrogs

Frogs need to blow out OU

CountryFrog

By the way, I am NOT arguing that we should be a playoff team. We have 2 losses. I'm simply of the opinion that it's not totally ridiculous to think some of these teams ranked ahead of us are being inflated because they are name brands and not because they're actually better than we are. If we beat Baylor and get left out of a NY6 game and THREE big 10 teams make it then I will be livid.

FrogLifeYo

While we have not utterly crushed anyone beyond the two aforementioned teams, we have throttled a few to where the outcome of the game was not in doubt beyond the mid-3rd quarter. Strong defense choking the life out of the other team may not be glamorous, but it is effective...
You and I, who follow our Frogs closely, know we choked out quite a few teams. However putting up eye popping victories in the box score for those who don't watch a down of our games is another story. We Are largely ignored by those who claim to be experts.

Wexahu

I don't know what MP is doing with the injury stuff. It's weird. So I'm not going to speak to that.

Just in general. Forget the playoff committee, and 2014, and the current rankings and all that. Imagine any group of 13 people meeting a few times per year to rank the top 25 of anything. What's more likely? That they get it exactly right every time? Or that they make some mistakes along the way due to their own bias, personal agenda, ignorance, etc.?

I'm not coming on here and killing the committee every week over everything they do. Some people do, I'm sure. But to act like they are doing a fabulous job and WE'RE the ones with the problem because we disagree with a few things is just asinine.

My main point, though, is that if you don't think TCU is a top 10 team, then that's fine. I would like to hear what it is about USC, Ohio St, and Penn St though that convinces you they are definitely better and anyone questioning those rankings is totally wrong.

Getting it right every time is impossible, because everyone has different opinions about what is right. Whether they make mistakes or not is also completely subjective based on how YOU want to see the polls.

Show me the CountryFrog Top 10 and I'll point out reasons why you are an ignorant, biased jackass with a personal agenda. It really doesn't matter how your teams would be ranked, I could do that VERY easily. And that wouldn't mean you're actually an ignorant, biased jackass with a personal agenda. That's the point. These CFP committee guys have NO CHANCE. I think they do a very good job at trying to do this the best they can (under circumstances in which coming up with the "right" ranking is impossible), just like I think all of us would if we were chosen to be on the committee.

As for USC, Penn State and Ohio State being ahead of us....I don't know, i imagine if we played those teams tomorrow on a neutral field, we'd probably be fairly decent underdogs to PSU and OSU and probably about a pick'em with USC. Maybe I'm wrong, that's just a guess by just looking how the teams are playing. I know that if Baylor was playing in L.A., Columbus, or State College there would be NOBODY predicting anything but a blowout, but yet there are more than a couple people here that are worried about that game. So I don't know, the fact that they are a spot or two ahead of us isn't that unreasonable to me right now.

Wexahu

By the way, I am NOT arguing that we should be a playoff team. We have 2 losses. I'm simply of the opinion that it's not totally ridiculous to think some of these teams ranked ahead of us are being inflated because they are name brands and not because they're actually better than we are. If we beat Baylor and get left out of a NY6 game and THREE big 10 teams make it then I will be livid.

If that happens you can thank the conference for that. Were the Big 12 CCG not being played, we'd be virtually guaranteed a spot in a NY6 Bowl. Losing again might knock us out of that group, but that won't be the fault of the CFP committee.

Would you rather just take our 10-2 record and play in a NY6 bowl, or get another shot at OU and a "conference championship" and a very outside chance of cracking the Top 4 and risk the NY6 game?

eh0215

We want Bama, Miami, and Wisconsin to all make the playoff as undefeated teams. They'll remove Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, and Ohio State from in front of us if they all go undefeated. All those teams would be 2-3 losses, not conference champions.

We also want Stanford to beat Notre Dame, Washington to beat Wazzu, and Stanford to win the Pac-12. They'll remove USC and Notre Dame from in front of us.

Beyond that, handle our own business and remove OU from in front of us on our own.

That's how the next two weeks have to go down for the Frogs to get a crack at the playoffs.

Dogfrog

Maybe ... just maybe ... it has to do with the fact that we have two losses, and a bunch of teams have 1 loss or are undefeated?

I don’t know why y’all get worked up about this. IF we beat OU and IF there are fewer than four undefeated or 1-loss P5 champs, then we can talk about how we deserve a spot. But right now, there are a number of teams better than us.
Getting it right every time is impossible, because everyone has different opinions about what is right. Whether they make mistakes or not is also completely subjective based on how YOU want to see the polls.

Show me the CountryFrog Top 10 and I'll point out reasons why you are an ignorant, biased jackass with a personal agenda. It really doesn't matter how your teams would be ranked, I could do that VERY easily. And that wouldn't mean you're actually an ignorant, biased jackass with a personal agenda. That's the point. These CFP committee guys have NO CHANCE. I think they do a very good job at trying to do this the best they can (under circumstances in which coming up with the "right" ranking is impossible), just like I think all of us would if we were chosen to be on the committee.

As for USC, Penn State and Ohio State being ahead of us....I don't know, i imagine if we played those teams tomorrow on a neutral field, we'd probably be fairly decent underdogs to PSU and OSU and probably about a pick'em with USC. Maybe I'm wrong, that's just a guess by just looking how the teams are playing. I know that if Baylor was playing in L.A., Columbus, or State College there would be NOBODY predicting anything but a blowout, but yet there are more than a couple people here that are worried about that game. So I don't know, the fact that they are a spot or two ahead of us isn't that unreasonable to me right now.

Such irony. Classic OCD. Or are you paid for this schtick?

Also, this thread title drives me crazy, .Outside of Jackson St and Kansas who have We "blown out" this year..Nobody and if we beat OU I can assure you it won't be a blow out..
UT and KState were never, ever in question. The margin doesn’t show it, but neither of those games were anything near close.

I agree that we won’t blow OU out, though. I’d take a one-point win.

CountryFrog

I've never called anyone on the committee a jackass first of all. I don't even use that word unless I'm quoting other people who use it. I think you mis-interpret my criticism of the committee rankings for me believing they are all horrible people. But here is my top 10:

1) Oklahoma
2) Alabama
3) Miami
4) Clemson
5) Auburn
6) Georgia
7) Wisconsin
8) Notre Dame
9) TCU
10) Ohio St

82 Frog Fever

40% of the CFP point formula is on SOS.
When you have SMU, Jackson St., Kansas, Baylor, and a crappy Arkansas for a good chunk of your schedule, it’s pretty hard to compete for a top 4 spot or even a top 10 rank.

Wexahu

I've never called anyone on the committee a jackass first of all. I don't even use that word unless I'm quoting other people who use it. I think you mis-interpret my criticism of the committee rankings for me believing they are all horrible people. But here is my top 10:

1) Oklahoma
2) Alabama
3) Miami
4) Clemson
5) Auburn
6) Georgia
7) Wisconsin
8) Notre Dame
9) TCU
10) Ohio St

Oklahoma #1? Wow, I think that's ridiculous. There's no way a team that loses to Iowa State at home and barely eeks out wins vs three unranked teams in Texas, KSU and Baylor! should be the #1 team in the country. I think your bias toward the Big 12 is showing big time. What a joke.

See how this works?

I'm kind of only half kidding though. You really think OU should be #1?

Mean Purple

No different than people’s need to criticize everything the committee does every week. Literally the same person who is worried about us beating a 1-11 injury decimated Baylor team starting a true freshman QB at home is complaining that the committee is a joke because we aren’t ranked in the Top 10. Tell me how that makes any sense at all.

Explain why Wisky is behind Clemson.

Zubaz

There's always going to be some discrepancy as to whether polls are supposed to be predictive (who would win on a neutral field, therefore OU at #1 is entirely reasonable) vs. retrodictive (where to place as a result of the games that have been played, in which case it is not). I don't know that it's ever really been clarified which is the "true" place for polls, and as a result I think they try to take a middle ground between the two.

CountryFrog

Oklahoma #1? Wow, I think that's ridiculous. There's no way a team that loses to Iowa State at home and barely eeks out wins vs three unranked teams in Texas, KSU and Baylor! should be the #1 team in the country. I think your bias toward the Big 12 is showing big time. What a joke.

See how this works?

I'm kind of only half kidding though. You really think OU should be #1?
OU has the 3 best wins of anyone in the country with 2 coming on the road. Bama is a great team but only has one quality road win. Miami has struggled mightily to beat several teams this year and doesn't have the quality wins that OU does. The Clemson loss to Syracuse is getting more and more awful every week, and other than Auburn, they don't have a high quality win.

So that's my thinking on the order of the top 4. No one else is in consideration for #1 imo.

froginmn

I think something that nobody is considering is what our resume would look like compared to OU, if we win out.

Both teams 10-2
Both lost to each other
Both lost to ISU
OU has a big road win over tOSU

If you look at that from an outside perspective, would you rank us ahead of OU because our win came in a CCG?

I'm not even sure

Mean Purple

OU has the 3 best wins of anyone in the country with 2 coming on the road. Bama is a great team but only has one quality road win. Miami has struggled mightily to beat several teams this year and doesn't have the quality wins that OU does. The Clemson loss to Syracuse is getting more and more awful every week, and other than Auburn, they don't have a high quality win.

So that's my thinking on the order of the top 4. No one else is in consideration for #1 imo.
Reality is, OU does have the better wins. And if a loss and close games keeps someone out...Clemson.

Sebastian S

I am fine with the rankings, Miami and Clemson will work its way out.

Clemson's Auburn win may be the best win anyone has in the top 10

OU, even though they have the best combined wins, have been very inconsistent playing horrible teams close.

There is no denying Alabama as the #1 team. If any team deserves its historical success to be looked at, it's them. Best coach with the best players in the nation.

Zubaz

I think something that nobody is considering is what our resume would look like compared to OU, if we win out.

Both teams 10-2
Both lost to each other
Both lost to ISU
OU has a big road win over tOSU

If you look at that from an outside perspective, would you rank us ahead of OU because our win came in a CCG?

I'm not even sure
I've thought about the same thing. It depends on if you think SOS but a more recent loss is better than an outright conference title. I could honestly see both sides, though would lean towards TCU just because they beat OU more recently, on a neutral field vs at home, and would have the conference title in that situation.