• The KillerFrogs

Frogs need to blow out OU

FrogLifeYo

Hypothetical...We finish business against BU and face off against OU..We win the game by the same margin as they beat us a few weeks ago..Some how a slot comes down between us and OU..who gets the slot? We won the CCG but they Probably have the better SOS due to their win at OSU...Has the committee said that CCG's are more important than regular season W's?

Wexahu

I'm not moving any goalposts because I never said anything about best loss in 2014. My beef with 2014 is dropping a team from 3 to 6 at the end after a 50 point win. It was unprecedented and insane.

The committee, however, had plenty of times mixed and matched with quality wins, close losses, injuries, body clocks, etc. so maybe you have me confused with Jeff Long.

You must have thought though that we shouldn’t have been #3 to begin with.

Wexahu

This is hurting the Big 12 more than anything. It's why OOC wins become more important for this conference than any other, because once conference play starts, it's just mathematically impossible to have very many teams rack up a bunch of wins when everyone plays each other.

The Big 10 had zero quality OOC wins but they have a bunch of ranked teams with only 3 or fewer losses because those teams don't all have to play each other. Same thing with the SEC. ACC has the same setup but their teams are so bad after the top 2 that they're not really taking advantage of it this year.

This was the only reason I was in favor of expanding the conference. It increases the possibility to have more teams get highly ranked.

This does make a difference but it’s not worth watering down a conference over IMO. And you say that the Big 10 has no quality OOC wins this year. That’s true. But the Big 12 has exactly one. And had what were considered two of the better teams lose games to Maryland and Vanderbilt. Those were critical losses to the overall perception of the conference.

Lone Frog

This does make a difference but it’s not worth watering down a conference over IMO. And you say that the Big 10 has no quality OOC wins this year. That’s true. But the Big 12 has exactly one. And had what were considered two of the better teams lose games to Maryland and Vanderbilt. Those were critical losses to the overall perception of the conference.

I think the difference is substantial and the primary reason the conference is eventually going to have to expand. No, I don't want us to bring in UTEP and New Mexico State either, but without blueblood programs beating down our door, eventually the conference needs to hold its nose and pick the best of what's available.

With the round robin format and championship game, the best the Big 12 can do is one team at 13-0, one at 11-2, one at 10-2 and one at 9-3 (presuming all are undefeated in OOC). That's an unlikely scenario and the only way (unless there's enough chaos 4-loss teams are getting ranked) we end the season with four ranked teams, something most every other P5 conference can take for granted.

Wexahu

I think the difference is substantial and the primary reason the conference is eventually going to have to expand. No, I don't want us to bring in UTEP and New Mexico State either, but without blueblood programs beating down our door, eventually the conference needs to hold its nose and pick the best of what's available.

With the round robin format and championship game, the best the Big 12 can do is one team at 13-0, one at 11-2, one at 10-2 and one at 9-3 (presuming all are undefeated in OOC). That's an unlikely scenario and the only way (unless there's enough chaos 4-loss teams are getting ranked) we end the season with four ranked teams, something most every other P5 conference can take for granted.

The ACC only has three ranked teams now too. Not sure what their prospects are for adding another one next week though.

The key is to win OOC games. If Texas had beaten Maryland they’d have a chance of being ranked after this week. Same for Iowa State has they beaten Iowa and K-State has they beaten Vandy.

CountryFrog

Whether it's totally worth it or not just for that is a different conversation. I'm just saying this was the ONLY thing that I felt like the Big 12 really had to gain.

And thank you for agreeing with me that the B12 has more OOC victories than the B10. Of course, while mentioning the B12 losses you forgot to mention how Northwestern lost by 30 points to Duke and yet is still ranked somehow. That's a much worse loss than either of the two you mentioned for the Big 12, imo. Yet the committee doesn't seem to care at all about it. The committee is also giving LSU a pass for their loss to Troy, it seems.

Wexahu

Whether it's totally worth it or not just for that is a different conversation. I'm just saying this was the ONLY thing that I felt like the Big 12 really had to gain.

And thank you for agreeing with me that the B12 has more OOC victories than the B10. Of course, while mentioning the B12 losses you forgot to mention how Northwestern lost by 30 points to Duke and yet is still ranked somehow. That's a much worse loss than either of the two you mentioned for the Big 12, imo. Yet the committee doesn't seem to care at all about it. The committee is also giving LSU a pass for their loss to Troy, it seems.

Recent results have more weight than results from early in the season, that’s the only way to explain the Northwestern thing. Haven’t seen them play in a long time, but just looking at their scores of late they appear to be a lot better now than they were in September.

But I don’t disagree with you. Saw them play Duke, and they were totally inept in that game, that’s for sure.

SuperTFrog

Where did you go to school and where did you grow up? Asking for a friend

82 Frog Fever

If I'm not mistaken, of the teams in front of us, only Clemson has a better SOS rank

There are so many sos rankings. NCAA.com uses Teamrankings.com “sos basic”
Unfortunately, some of TCU’s best wins Ok St. & W.V. haven’t been winning.

9 ND. 33 Ohio st
13 USC. 40 Auburn
19 OU. 41 Georgia
25 Clem. 44 Miami
26 Penn St. 45 Wisconsin.
32 TCU. 59 Alabama

Planks

Hypothetical...We finish business against BU and face off against OU..We win the game by the same margin as they beat us a few weeks ago..Some how a slot comes down between us and OU..who gets the slot? We won the CCG but they Probably have the better SOS due to their win at OSU...Has the committee said that CCG's are more important than regular season W's?

The correct answer in that scenario would probably be “C. None of the Above”. They’d find someone else to put in that spot to avoid controversy, maybe a second SEC team or maybe more likely the Pac 12 champion now makes it.

Right now everyone is assuming the Pac 12 is out, but if it was a choice between a 11-2 Pac 12 Champ USC, 11-2 Big 12 Champ TCU, or 11-2 2nd place Oklahoma, I think we all know who is going.

CountryFrog

There are so many sos rankings. NCAA.com uses Teamrankings.com “sos basic”
Unfortunately, some of TCU’s best wins Ok St. & W.V. haven’t been winning.

9 ND. 33 Ohio st
13 USC. 40 Auburn
19 OU. 41 Georgia
25 Clem. 44 Miami
26 Penn St. 45 Wisconsin.
32 TCU. 59 Alabama

Yea, there are so many sos rankings with wildly different results that it makes it really hard to find a metric that's truly reliable. If you want to dis a teams schedule then you can almost always find at least one metric to back it up and vice versa.

Moose Stuff

The correct answer in that scenario would probably be “C. None of the Above”. They’d find someone else to put in that spot to avoid controversy, maybe a second SEC team or maybe more likely the Pac 12 champion now makes it.

Right now everyone is assuming the Pac 12 is out, but if it was a choice between a 11-2 Pac 12 Champ USC, 11-2 Big 12 Champ TCU, or 11-2 2nd place Oklahoma, I think we all know who is going.

I’m not sure there any scenarios where it comes down to TCU and OU for the 4th spot that don’t involve multiple plane crashes.

Moose Stuff

I’m not sure there any scenarios where it comes down to TCU and OU for the 4th spot that don’t involve multiple plane crashes.

kidkarr

Please make a case for USC, Penn St, Ohio St and ND to be ahead of TCU. And no Wex- this isn’t directed at you.

BTW I’m not worked up, but they are some respected college football analysts that are acknowledging that TCU is getting disrespected. I just think that we are a top 10 team right now.
Some of it is timing. Our better wins were quite some time ago and our latest loss more recent, except ND I think, but there 2 losses are better than ours. My .02