• The KillerFrogs

Dead Horses!

Deep Purple

This prevents access to better seats for season ticket holders that actually plan on using their tickets, and greatly increases the likelihood of our better seats being occupied by opposing fans.

This kills our atmosphere and home field advantage.
It certainly didn't kill our atmosphere or our home field advantage against Texas. The enthusiastic TCU crowd participation, miked band, and video board presentation held UT band and fan demonstrations to a minimum all night long. They were literally never able to get any orange crowd chemistry started, and they were uncharacteristically subdued most of the night. The TCU crowd was just about always much louder and rowdier virtually all night.

So how does that square with your c o cksure but unsupported claim that ticket resales "kills our atmosphere or our home field advantage"? Especially given that perhaps as much as 1/3 of the crowd was wearing butt-ugly burnt orange? A much higher percentage of visiting fans than we experience for any other home game opponent throughout the year.

Last edited:

Deep Purple

I normally let it go but I was rather bothered by this after halftime as well. It took quite a while for everyone to come back to the game and the atmosphere was pretty much dead in the 3rd quarter. The TV time outs and replays didn't help either.
You're pretty much describing every TCU home game, regardless of the opponent. And not just the West side either. Equally the East side -- and I have the pictures to prove it. The peak attendance in the 1st half is always near the end of the 1st quarter. The peak attendance in the 2nd half is always about midway through the 3rd quarter.

For whatever reason, Fort Worth crowds are always late-arriving crowds. I've seen it at FW symphony concerts, at the FW ballet, at Casa plays, and at TCU events. This is far from unique to TCU football games.

Last edited:

Zen Moon

Do 20,000 TCU alums live in OKC?
Doesn’t mean squat. We could have 2,000,000 alums within walking distance and storm their stadium with pitchforks, but without tickets, we aren’t getting in.

Visitors should have limited access to tickets, and the ones who do get in should be crammed into the lousiest, most remote, corner of the entire stadium. It’s called home field advantage.

Electronic resale, gentrification, and good old capitalism, have eroded that concept, few places more than our home-sweet-home.

Zen Moon

Are there any other Big 12 teams playing home games in a major metropolitan area that is home to 10s of thousands of fans and graduates of all their conference opponents? That's the biggest factor in all of this imo. If TCU was located in Podunk, Kansas then there probably wouldn't be as many opposing fans at the games.

Have you seen all the empty seats at Kansas games? You think there aren't massive amounts of tickets easily available every week? Lawrence just isn't quite as big of a hotbed for Texas, Tech, OU, or OSU alums as the Metroplex.
KU is only applicable in this discussion during basketball season. As for FWD being home to millions of alums from other schools, without tickets, they don’t get in. Limited access to crappy seats is what any visitor deserves. Visiting Amon Carter should be something that is loathed, on the field and in the stands.

Moose Stuff

Doesn’t mean squat. We could have 2,000,000 alums within walking distance and storm their stadium with pitchforks, but without tickets, we aren’t getting in.

Visitors should have limited access to tickets, and the ones who do get in should be crammed into the lousiest, most remote, corner of the entire stadium. It’s called home field advantage.

Electronic resale, gentrification, and good old capitalism, have eroded that concept, few places more than our home-sweet-home.

It’s not a fan support issue it’s a fan numbers issue. There aren’t enough of us and there are too many of them to accomplish what you’re talking about with any consistency (if at all). The Utah game crowd happened because there was nobody from Utah trying to buy the tickets.

I honestly don’t see any fix to ever stop this from happening short of reducing ACS seating capacity to about 30,000 and selling out the entire stadium to TCU people/students before the season even starts.

Reverse the roles and give UT/OU 9,000 students and give TCU 40,000-50,000 and the problem would be the same for them.

Last edited:

tcumaniac

Deep,

Does TCU compensate you for spending as much time as you do on here spouting off the company line? Asking for a friend.

tcumaniac

Not for season tickets, just single game tickets.

1. This barely ever happens. Very few people would pay the fees required to purchase entire season tickets, when you can just purchase them through TCU or just buy one off tickets for cheaper.
2. Even if this did happen, you are required to type in the exact section, row, and seat number when mailing a season tickets, which is info TCU has access to.

Spike

KU is only applicable in this discussion during basketball season. As for FWD being home to millions of alums from other schools, without tickets, they don’t get in. Limited access to crappy seats is what any visitor deserves. Visiting Amon Carter should be something that is loathed, on the field and in the stands.

While I agree with you, we are not the only school w this problem. Twice I have traveled w/ SteelFrog. Last year we were front row, 10 yard line of the UGA side at the Liberty Bowl. That said there was more red on our side than there was purple on the UGA side. A few weeks ago we were second row 25 yard line surrounded by KSU peeps.

Surfrog

I haven't posted here in a long time, but this very subject crossed my mind Saturday night. This is how the West side looked at the start of the 3rd quarter. I am curious how many of these folks in the 100 and 200 levels are either in the club or actually outside of the stadium at a tailgate. As a 20 plus year box seat holder on the West side before the re-seat, I don't see how any passionate long term TCU football fan thinks this is acceptable for the team, coaches and recruits no matter how beautiful the stadium is. It certainly wasn't hot, rainy or cold and this is UT on national TV, not Wyoming. Maybe Patterson needs to hold a fan clinic on how to be a true football fan.
He could also flip the bench over to the East side and let the players be closer to the students.

View attachment 3843

Wow. That is embarrassing. Really scheissing embarrassing.

And yes, players [ hundin] about it, coaches [ hundin] about it. They just cant say it to fans faces directly but i've heard about it via others. Something needs to be done ASAP.

pinot evil

In 2001 was lucky enough to travel with the team to New Orleans for Tulane game, the Frogs lost 22-48 in front of a small crowd in the Superdome. On the plane home, Coach P was complaining that Tulane had amplified their crowd noise, it didn't change the outcome but it was a fair complaint.

When we played darn baylor in Waco in 2011 they cranked up their PA so loud to keep the Frog fans neutralized I thought my ears were going to bleed and I thought it was chicken poop.

Last time I went to Norman my seats were in the end zone a few rows below the PA, same thing as in Waco.

Saturday night we had the music cranked up to 97 decibels (according to my iPhone app) an unsafe level. Whether to drown out the tu band or excite our fan base I don't know but this sonic arms race hurts fan participation IMO.

That is all, I have to go yell at kids to get off my lawn now.

Big Frog II

Did anyone watch the Cowboy game. Did you happen to see how many Kansas City fans were there. Kansas City, one of the smaller NFL fan bases. As tickets have gone up in price, this is going to happen. Season ticket holders are going to sell some of their tickets in order to pay for the rest of them.

Also in my section were several Texas fans who otherwise always come in purple. It is because they went to Texas. They support TCU for every other game but that one. You would be surprised how many Texas grads own TCU season tickets. My father was one of them. Of course if he had dressed in orange, he would have never seen his grandkids again.

Spike

Did anyone watch the Cowboy game. Did you happen to see how many Kansas City fans were there. Kansas City, one of the smaller NFL fan bases. As tickets have gone up in price, this is going to happen. Season ticket holders are going to sell some of their tickets in order to pay for the rest of them.

Also in my section were several Texas fans who otherwise always come in purple. It is because they went to Texas. They support TCU for every other game but that one. You would be surprised how many Texas grads own TCU season tickets. My father was one of them. Of course if he had dressed in orange, he would have never seen his grandkids again.

KC also has some of the best fans. Went to the Chiefs Steelers this year. We had breakfast at an IHOP 45 minutes from the stadium and almost everyone in there was wearing a red chiefs jersey. Great fan base and fantastic game day atmosphere.

MTfrog5

I haven't posted here in a long time, but this very subject crossed my mind Saturday night. This is how the West side looked at the start of the 3rd quarter. I am curious how many of these folks in the 100 and 200 levels are either in the club or actually outside of the stadium at a tailgate. As a 20 plus year box seat holder on the West side before the re-seat, I don't see how any passionate long term TCU football fan thinks this is acceptable for the team, coaches and recruits no matter how beautiful the stadium is. It certainly wasn't hot, rainy or cold and this is UT on national TV, not Wyoming. Maybe Patterson needs to hold a fan clinic on how to be a true football fan.
He could also flip the bench over to the East side and let the players be closer to the students.

View attachment 3843
I hate pictures like this because honestly what's the point? You want me to take pictures of the east side because the upper deck is awful every single game too. Or do you want me to post pictures of the last two student sections that were half full after halftime? But go ahead and think it's just a club seat problem

Surfrog

It certainly didn't kill our atmosphere or our home field advantage against Texas. The enthusiastic TCU crowd participation, miked band, and video board presentation held UT band and fan demonstrations to a minimum all night long. They were literally never able to get any orange crowd chemistry started, and they were uncharacteristically subdued most of the night. The TCU crowd was just about always much louder and rowdier virtually all night.

So how does that square with your c o cksure but unsupported claim that ticket resales "kills our atmosphere or our home field advantage"? Especially given that perhaps as much as 1/3 of the crowd was wearing butt-ugly burnt orange? A much higher percentage of visiting fans than we experience for any other home game opponent throughout the year.

Deep please see the picture at the start of the 3rd quarter, all the club seats and WLB seats are empty. It's embarrassing, it did kill the atmosphere, people on the sidelines complain and it hurts recruiting. Don't be a dumbass. Take off the purple glasses.