• The KillerFrogs

Dead Horses!

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Pharm Frog, I typically really like you and your posts, but this is just a ridiculous perspective to me and I think this mindset helps explain why attendance at TCU games is such a deeply rooted problem.

This kind of thinking doesn't happen at schools known for great crowds, great fan loyalty, and great home field advantages. Other fan bases feel as if they have an innate duty to be there there for their team... to be in their seats on time, to cheer loudly, and to stay until the final whistle. This creates a culture where fans hold each other accountable. This doesn't exist at TCU.

Why should we care what someone does with the seats they purchase to TCU games? What difference does it make whether they show up or not?

This line of thinking from the majority of our fan base is why we should maybe taps the breaks on arrogantly making fun of Aggy for thinking they have a chance at getting GMFP. For the first time in a VERY long time, I am genuinely frightened that Patterson may seriously consider leaving. I've heard it cited it more than once from very plugged in and reputable sources that Gary is fed up with our entitled fan base that shows up when convenient... if they ever show up at all.
First, way too much hyperbole in your entire post.

Next, I guess LSU is not a great fan base? They played and lost to Troy in front of an empty stadium just this season.

I guess Tennessee isn't a great fan base. They have had a half empty stadium multiple times this season.

I guess Alabama isn't a great fan base. They have been leaving early often this season when the games have already been decided.

They should all be forced to give up their tickets. Right?

Lastly, why would GP pass over opportunities to coach at a big school when he was playing Fresno State on a Wednesday night in front of no one just so he could lead his team out of the wasteland, playing in front of biggest crowds in TCU history and in playoff consideration for the third time in four years and then leave over frustration with crowds? It wouldn't make any sense. If he makes that decision I will be sorry to see him go but I'm not going to cry over a grown man making a decision he sees best for his family and himself.

mc1502

Your argument here is absolute trash and extremely arrogant / condescending. (hypocrite much?)

People would not be frustrated that people had better seats than them if the seats were regularly occupied and sat in.

People are frustrated that the best seats in the stadium continue to sit empty game after game after game. People are frustrated that our attendance problems literally affect our capability to recruit most effectively. People like NorthDallas40 are especially frustrated because the old seats they used to faithfully sit in now regularly go unoccupied. Cut it out with your elitist crap. It's a bad look.

Here's the deal. $ makes the world go round (it also is responsible for the quality of team we all have the privilege of watching). Until someone can make a valid argument that their team spirit was/is more impactful to the building and sustaining of TCU's football success than the huge annual contributions made by those that hold those seats, this topic should be put to bed.

And by the way. I could be wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion that those who are complaining are not the ones making the huge donations. Maybe those complaining could take a break from complaining just long enough to thank those that laid out the huge coin to build the program. But hey, if that $ stops, those that are complaining will be able to sit anywhere they want in very short order.

Last edited:

MTfrog5

Some of y'all need to realize that empty seats are literally all over the country every Saturday and Sunday. Interesting that the Texas section wasn't filled until well over half way into the first quarter too. Maniac didn't seem to worried about showing their section though

Moose Stuff

Or a Whorn!

The next time a visiting fan sits near you engage them in conversation. Show some interest in their program, give them a compliment, tell them you root for them when they aren’t playing TCU (even if it isn’t true)...... I do it every time and I’ve yet to find myself seated next to an annoying fan. Guy from Arkansas last year gave my 3rd grader a hug as she was crying after the loss. Couple from Tech has been near me at multiple non TCU/Tech games simply because they said they enjoyed how they were treated at previous games and just like college football.

stbrab

The next time a visiting fan sits near you engage them in conversation. Show some interest in their program, give them a compliment, tell them you root for them when they aren’t playing TCU (even if it isn’t true)...... I do it every time and I’ve yet to find myself seated next to an annoying fan. Guy from Arkansas last year gave my 3rd grader a hug as she was crying after the loss. Couple from Tech has been near me at multiple non TCU/Tech games simply because they said they enjoyed how they were treated at previous games and just like college football.
Ah, I was saying it in jest. I've never sat next to a Whorn at any of our games. I have sat next to a Raider and a Sooner in recent years, and did exactly what you suggest...with mixed results. But on the whole, I think you're correct. Most opposing fans just want a good game experience, and to be treated with respect.

Chico Dusty

I always try to look at the positive at situations. I came to TCU in 2002 when we were in Conference freaking USA. And now we’re one of the best teams in the country competing for a National Championship. In less than 15 year span. It’s actually incredible to witness and comprehend. What other school started we were and now in our situation? How are our former conference USA mates doing? Could our attendance be better? Sure, but we have an amazing stadium, the best coach in the country, legit game day atmosphere, and top level team. I honestly can’t get over how awesome it is.

And as far as Patterson goes - I don’t know him personally, or really much about him other than what I’ve picked up reading this board and supporting the team for 15 years. What he has here - and what he is chasing does something far more than money can do and that is to be immortalized forever as doing something no other coach/program has done in the modern era - and that is take a mid major program and build them up and win a national championship. You don’t grind feverishly for decades and claw your way to the top - and get ever so close while still very much in the hunt to just jump ship. And as the Babe said in Sandlot “remember kids, there’s heroes and there’s legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die”. Patterson is going to be a legend.

Last edited:

TX_Krötenechse

Something that Maniac never seems to consider, probably because of his age, is the huge amount of improvement we’ve made with regards to fan loyalty and attendance. In 2006, you could walk in to any game and get a ticket for dirt cheap and have your pick of seats, practically. It was a running joke among students that we showed up in the second quarter and left in the third. There were always people watching, and there were always students and other who were loyal and stayed til the end, but it was definitely NOT the majority.

Since 2008 it’s gotten better pretty much every year. I’d be willing to bet that 2008 was a damn sight better than 1998, for that matter. Since the stadium renovation the difference in game atmosphere compared to my first few years at TCU is immense.

mc1502

Something that Maniac never seems to consider, probably because of his age, is the huge amount of improvement we’ve made with regards to fan loyalty and attendance. In 2006, you could walk in to any game and get a ticket for dirt cheap and have your pick of seats, practically. It was a running joke among students that we showed up in the second quarter and left in the third. There were always people watching, and there were always students and other who were loyal and stayed til the end, but it was definitely NOT the majority.

Since 2008 it’s gotten better pretty much every year. I’d be willing to bet that 2008 was a damn sight better than 1998, for that matter. Since the stadium renovation the difference in game atmosphere compared to my first few years at TCU is immense.

I graduated in 94. Back then I could just show up, show my student ID, and proceed to sit anywhere I wanted. We sucked. But many years and $'s later things are different.