• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Season Thread

HoustonHornedFrog

Agree. Even with the Saturday debacle, the Frogs are 15th in the country in WHIP. 35th in walks allowed. 11th in K-BB ratio. Attempting to decipher non-verbal clues from CJS's recent mound visits, I'm inclined to think that recently the pitchers just haven't been doing what they have been coached to do.

Speaking of what they have been coached to do, does KS coach them to pitch inside more than most? I ask because we hit a lot of batters. Over 1 a game on average (more than anyone else per game in the Big 12) and almost twice as many as we get hit per game.

Paint It Purple

Speaking of what they have been coached to do, does KS coach them to pitch inside more than most? I ask because we hit a lot of batters. Over 1 a game on average (more than anyone else per game in the Big 12) and almost twice as many as we get hit per game.
Schloss has preached having the guts to go inside since he's been at TCU. I'm guessing KS feels the same way. It's a tenet of successful pitching and pitchers. The guts part isn't that you'll hit the guy, it's the fear of leaving it out over the middle. (Blast away)

Pharm Frog

Did anyone see the tweet indicating JJ out at least another 3-4 weeks? SIAP Can't find the tweet again

Found it....I don't follow Kendall Rogers but Son of Pharm had re-tweeted.

ftwfrog

Is Dalton Horton out? Can he pitch Tuesday? I know it was UT Rio Grande Valley Pan American Univerisity IUPUI, but he looked fine against them in a Tuesday start(or maybe it was DBU?) ...hell I don't remember.

Pharm Frog

Coming in right behind McCormick at No. 2 once again is Cary Grove’s Quinn Priester. Priester is a hard throwing right-handed pitcher with polish and a lightning quick arm. Priester made it clear he is one of the top arms in the Midwest after taking home top prospect honor’s at the 2019 Top Prospect Games this summer. At the event Priester sat 87-89 mph and spun an advanced curveball with sharp, late action and depth.

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/profiles/IL/Quinn-Priester-6180732459#tab2

6-foot-3, 175-pound right-handed pitcher with a highly athletic frame. Works from a high ¾ arm angle with a long, loose, lightning quick arm action. Tall and fall, online delivery with smooth rhythm. Fastball flashed hard running action at 87-89 mph for strikes. Showed feel for his curveball. Curveball has 11-5 shape with sharp breaking action while maintaining fastball arm speed at 73-74 mph. One of the top arms in the 2019 Class.

Video in the link below. If you are inclined to watch...how about that view behind CF late in the video?

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/IL/2019-Top-Prospect-Games-Top-Overall-Prospects-9072561483

PO Frog

Coming in right behind McCormick at No. 2 once again is Cary Grove’s Quinn Priester. Priester is a hard throwing right-handed pitcher with polish and a lightning quick arm. Priester made it clear he is one of the top arms in the Midwest after taking home top prospect honor’s at the 2019 Top Prospect Games this summer. At the event Priester sat 87-89 mph and spun an advanced curveball with sharp, late action and depth.

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/profiles/IL/Quinn-Priester-6180732459#tab2

6-foot-3, 175-pound right-handed pitcher with a highly athletic frame. Works from a high ¾ arm angle with a long, loose, lightning quick arm action. Tall and fall, online delivery with smooth rhythm. Fastball flashed hard running action at 87-89 mph for strikes. Showed feel for his curveball. Curveball has 11-5 shape with sharp breaking action while maintaining fastball arm speed at 73-74 mph. One of the top arms in the 2019 Class.

Video in the link below. If you are inclined to watch...how about that view behind CF late in the video?

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/IL/2019-Top-Prospect-Games-Top-Overall-Prospects-9072561483
My eyes glaze over when I hear reports of guys "sitting at x mph" blah blah blah so I don't take any stock or have much interest in such reports, but is 87-89 fastball really considered one of the best arms in the Midwest?

Pharm Frog

My eyes glaze over when I hear reports of guys "sitting at x mph" blah blah blah so I don't take any stock or have much interest in such reports, but is 87-89 fastball really considered one of the best arms in the Midwest?

As PurplePutt mentioned, this kid is young. But here's some other things I like simply from reading the interwebs:

• He's from the Midwest. A couple of years ago there was a fella from Colorado who had done research (pretty sure it was self-reported survey research) that claimed that pitchers from the Midwest and Northeast had thrown 30% fewer innings per year than kids from the South (including Florida and California). I actually can't remember if it was innings or pitches but you get the idea.
  • He also plays football. Dual sport athletes are more intriguing than single sport athletes to me for the most part. Good size.
  • "Sitting" at 87-89 is pretty damn good. Would you like to know if he can command both sides of the plate with it? Can he run it up there in the early '90's when he needs to? Would you like to know if he can drop the hammer in zones where he wants to pitch? Of course. I would also say that college pitchers "sitting" at 87-89 with 12-6 breaking balls and change-ups at the ankles give a certain "home town" team fits.
  • So, yes...if CKS thinks this kid is worthy of an offer based on current performance and projectability, I'm delighted with it.

EDIT: Will defer to Moose on this but I seem to remember that DF was "sitting" somewhere around that range while a senior at Oak Ridge.

Last edited:

PO Frog

As PurplePutt mentioned, this kid is young. But here's some other things I like simply from reading the interwebs:

• He's from the Midwest. A couple of years ago there was a fella from Colorado who had done research (pretty sure it was self-reported survey research) that claimed that pitchers from the Midwest and Northeast had thrown 30% fewer innings per year than kids from the South (including Florida and California). I actually can't remember if it was innings or pitches but you get the idea.
  • He also plays football. Dual sport athletes are more intriguing than single sport athletes to me for the most part. Good size.
  • "Sitting" at 87-89 is pretty damn good. Would you like to know if he can command both sides of the plate with it? Can he run it up there in the early '90's when he needs to? Would you like to know if he can drop the hammer in zones where he wants to pitch? Of course. I would also say that college pitchers "sitting" at 87-89 with 12-6 breaking balls and change-ups at the ankles give a certain "home town" team fits.
  • So, yes...if CKS thinks this kid is worthy of an offer based on current performance and projectability, I'm delighted with it.

EDIT: Will defer to Moose on this but I seem to remember that DF was "sitting" somewhere around that range while a senior at Oak Ridge.

Not questioning the recruit. I'm questioning the Midwest.

Pharm Frog

Not questioning the recruit. I'm questioning the Midwest.

In the past I might have questioned it too but not anymore. These kids are far more open to travel than in the past AND I don't think they get as "over-used" as some pitchers from the South. Illinois in particular has some really good baseball. You will see some really strong pitching from the Midwest at these showcase tournaments. Started seeing several impressive arms from the mountain west too over the past three or four years. The Orioles organization certainly has no questions about pitchers from the Midwest. Took three pretty quickly last year (or it may have been the prior year -- all runs together).

Pharm Frog

Root for excellent weather in Albuquerque on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tech is out there for a two-game mid-week series. Would love for that to be a couple of games that go deep into extra innings.

Not getting what I was rooting for. Raining in ABQ. Still the possibility of it clearing up for tonight's game. Field turf yard so that increases the likelihood of getting a game in.