• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Season Thread

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
102098_pc.jpg

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
From their website:
Texas Tech baseball coach Tim Tadlock was ejected from Tuesday night’s 16-5 loss to New Mexico and was suspended two games, including Friday night’s matchup versus No. 6 TCU.

Tadlock was suspended pursuant to NCAA rule 2-26-h, 5-15a(4), Appendix D, which allows for the suspension of a coach for two games for prolonged or continued arguing, excessive expressions directed at an umpire after an ejection.

Tadlock was ejected in the third inning of Tuesday’s game with New Mexico and was suspended for Wednesday’s game against the Lobos, Friday’s game versus TCU and will be eligible to return Saturday.

TechAdvisor

What did he do? Ejections don't typically come with 3 game suspensions. He must have done something pretty egregious.

The Ump's strike zone was clearly different based on which team was batting. After a Tech player struck out from a pitch the catcher had to put his clove in the dirt to catch, Tadlock had enough and told the Ump that ball was just outside the dirt. That's literally all he said and was ejected.

Tadlock left the field but New Mexico's stadium didn't have a club house or locker rooms for the opposing team. It was raining and 40 degrees. Tech's bus was not allowed to stay in the stadium area so Tadlock asked the security guard if he could wait in the ticket office out of the rain. They told him that he could. The Ump later found out that Tadlock was in the ticket office so they appealed to the NCAA to extend his suspension to 3 games.

Mountain West umpires decided that a Big 12 coach shouldn't be allowed to coach an important Big 12 baseball game because he stood in a ticket office to get out of the rain.

Purp

The Ump's strike zone was clearly different based on which team was batting. After a Tech player struck out from a pitch the catcher had to put his clove in the dirt to catch, Tadlock had enough and told the Ump that ball was just outside the dirt. That's literally all he said and was ejected.

Tadlock left the field but New Mexico's stadium didn't have a club house or locker rooms for the opposing team. It was raining and 40 degrees. Tech's bus was not allowed to stay in the stadium area so Tadlock asked the security guard if he could wait in the ticket office out of the rain. They told him that he could. The Ump later found out that Tadlock was in the ticket office so they appealed to the NCAA to extend his suspension to 3 games.

Mountain West umpires decided that a Big 12 coach shouldn't be allowed to coach an important Big 12 baseball game because he stood in a ticket office to get out of the rain.
So what you're saying is the MWC isn't as bad as I thought?

Pharm Frog

Despite the unimpeachable credibility of these sources, I do not believe you. Never in the history of college baseball has a coach been ejected simply for saying "that ball was just outside the dirt." I know this for two reasons:
  • No ump would ever go through the trouble of ejecting a coach for that and subjecting himself to the attending paperwork, and
  • No coach in the history of baseball has ever said "that ball was just outside the dirt." (although if someone had, I imagine Tadlock would be among the most likely candidates to have done so). An ump would not eject someone for that. He would simply put a justifiably puzzled look in his face and then smile behind his mask.
Procedure to follow after an ejection: 1. The ejecting umpire shall call his conference administrator immediately after the game to report any ejection. 2. The ejecting umpire shall file an NCAA or conference ejection report with his conference coordinator and the NCAA secretary-rules editor as soon as possible after the completion of the contest.

TechAdvisor

Despite the unimpeachable credibility of these sources, I do not believe you. Never in the history of college baseball has a coach been ejected simply for saying "that ball was just outside the dirt." I know this for two reasons:
  • No ump would ever go through the trouble of ejecting a coach for that and subjecting himself to the attending paperwork, and
  • No coach in the history of baseball has ever said "that ball was just outside the dirt." (although if someone had, I imagine Tadlock would be among the most likely candidates to have done so). An ump would not eject someone for that. He would simply put a justifiably puzzled look in his face and then smile behind his mask.
Procedure to follow after an ejection: 1. The ejecting umpire shall call his conference administrator immediately after the game to report any ejection. 2. The ejecting umpire shall file an NCAA or conference ejection report with his conference coordinator and the NCAA secretary-rules editor as soon as possible after the completion of the contest.

One of the best ways to know when someone is lying is that they excessively use absolutes like "never in the history", "No Ump would ever", "no coach in the history". Why wastes everyone's time when we all know that you haven't listened to every coaches conversation in the history of baseball?