• The KillerFrogs

2013 Updated recruiting list

ProfessorChaos4

Many players choose based on the number of drug dealers on the team. The more the merrier. I think I used that tactic on NCAA 12 once. That could be holding us back right now.

West Coast Johnny

Pretty sure Matthews can run okay. He's another Dalton in appearance. We're not changing our offense, I'll guarrantee you that is wrong.

Why would you change what is working so well. The one thing that might happen differently, is the use of the tight end. And that is in question. Basically, we change nothing.

Not sure why anyone thinks that Matthews can run. I'm not saying that he can't. I'm saying that he hardly ever did in high school. Remember the good ole days of 2009 when all we ever heard about is how Casey is faster, more athletic and a better runner then Andy..... Horribly bad scouting as Casey looked at times terrible running the ball last year. We have definately changed our QB recruiting philosophy. We used to recruit duel threat QBs like Dalton. Now we don't seem to be focussing on any type of QB and recruit running threat QBs (Boykin) and pass first QBs (Matthews). Of all the QBs we have, the most like Andy Dalton is Austin Aune. It's dumb to say we ain't changing anything and I kind of agree that we are evolving more towards a pro-style offense.

Houston Frog

Not sure why anyone thinks that Matthews can run.
Pretty simple, we saw highlights of him where he ran effectively. Not a burner by any means, and he didn't rely on the run, but he was mobile (much like Dalton during his time at TCU)

We have definately changed our QB recruiting philosophy. We used to recruit duel threat QBs like Dalton.
Dalton was definitely not a dual-threat in high school. Jared Gayheart was Katy's running QB and Andy was their passing QB during Andy's junior year when Jared graduated (went on to play baseball at Rice), then Andy stepped into the full-time role as a senior, but was used almost entirely as a drop back passer.

Now we don't seem to be focussing on any type of QB and recruit running threat QBs (Boykin) and pass first QBs (Matthews). Of all the QBs we have, the most like Andy Dalton is Austin Aune.
We want smart kids that are excellent passers, if they can run it's a bonus. Yes, Boykin can run, but he has a cannon for an arm, arguably the strongest arm on the team.

The zone read is a small part of the offense, we're not going to change our entire QB recruiting philosophy based on one play. Sure, a running QB is great, but that is completely secondary in importance to whether they can make all the throws and make good decisions.

It's dumb to say we ain't changing anything and I kind of agree that we are evolving more towards a pro-style offense.
No it's not, and I doubt we are

Mike Brooks

Which is exactly why we sent out our first 2013 offer to Tyrone Swoopes! Duh!!!!!!!!
Nice response toots. If he comes to TCU and we think he is the next VY then you accommodate him. However, there is a shift to the type of player we want at the position IMO and that shift is pro style.

FROGDADDY

Pretty simple, we saw highlights of him where he ran effectively. Not a burner by any means, and he didn't rely on the run, but he was mobile (much like Dalton during his time at TCU)

Dalton was definitely not a dual-threat in high school. Jared Gayheart was Katy's running QB and Andy was their passing QB during Andy's junior year when Jared graduated (went on to play baseball at Rice), then Andy stepped into the full-time role as a senior, but was used almost entirely as a drop back passer.

You misspelled Gayhart you dumbass. Wrong thread?

talor

I read tonight that Deon Hollins Jr. is looking to visit after things didn't turn out the way he wanted at UT's junior day. UT offered 2 DE's and 1 LB not named Hollins.

This dude has a hell of an offer list.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Since it has been reborn, here is the updated list:

http://www.killerfro...pic=134501&st=0

2013 Football recruiting
1 commit 20 expected The class of 2013 is expected to be 20 strong. Biggest areas of need are Linebacker, Center, Wide Receiver and Safety.

Commits:

Sammy Douglas 6-2/180/4.6 S Arlington, TX Younger brother of Curtis Douglas and more of a true safety though plays at LBer. Covers well and extremely athletic. Good hip turn and has great size for a cover safety. 1st team all-district in 2011.

Was recruited by TT, OU and UT (has JD invites from Tech & OU).

Offers:

Kenny Hill 6-2/210 Southlake, TX son of former Ranger pitcher, key player in Southlakes 2011 champioship. In 2011 rushed for 1,383 yds and 24 TDs and passed for 3,006 YDs and 25 TDs completing 63% of his throws.

Cody Thomas QB 6-4/205/4.65 Colleyville, TX (Heritage)

Austin Bennett WR 6-0/170/4.41 Manvel, TX 37" vert and has a best of 11.4 seconds in the 100 meters, 23.0 in the 200 and 50.0 in the 400. In 2011 had 41 receptions 767 yards and 6 touchdowns as a junior.

John Diarse WR/ATH 6-0/185/4.6 Monroe, LA (Neville) Plays QB.

Eldridge Massington WR 6-3/188/4.6 Mesquite, TX (West)

J'Mon Moore WR 6-3/181 Missouri City, TX (Elkins)

Kyrin Priester WR 6-3/180/4.5 Snellville, GA (Brookwood) transfer from Lake Mary

Ra'Shaad Samples WR 6-0/170/4.32 Dallas, TX (Skyline)

Jeremiah Gaines TE 6-3/235/4.6 Red Oak, TX

Charlie Reid TE 6-4/225/4.65 Fort Worth (All Saints Episcopal)

Durham Smythe TE 6-6/230/4.8 Belton, TX

Joshua Outlaw OT 6-3/295/5.21 Lithonia, GA (Martin Luther King)

Andrew Billings OG/NT 6-2/298/5.0 Waco, TX (Waco)

Darius James OG 6-5/319 Kileen, TX (Harker Heights)

Sergio Phillips OG 6-3/300 DeSoto, TX Top OG in Texas

Marcus Adams DT 6-0.5/265/5.11 East Point, GA (Tri-Cities) showed well at GT combine, good quick first step

Montravius Adams DT 6-3/290 Vienna, GA (Dooly County)

Justin Manning DT 6-2/275/4.9 Dallas, TX (Kimball)

Melvin Jones LB 6-3/245/4.6 Lake Charles, LA (Washington-Marion)

Mike Mitchell LB 6-4/215/4.6 Plano, TX (Prestonwood Christian Academy)

Duke Riley LB/SS 6-2/205/4.6 New Orleans, LA (John Curtis) leading tackler for the Patriots last 2 seasons has speed to move to safety. Phyical, hard working player.

Paul Whitmill LB 6-1/200/4.5 Bastrop, TX OU favorite, possibly best LB in Texas, also plays RB. Camped in July

Antwuan Davis DB 6-1/171/4.39 Bastrop, TX speedster, s/b one of the highest recruited DBs in Texas for 2013, transfer from DeValle camped at TCU

Erik Huhn S 6-3/200 Cibolo, TX (Steele) OU also offered

Laquvionte Gonzalez ATH 5-10/170/4.4 Cedar Hill, TX

Ty Slanina ATH 6-0/180/4.35 East Bernard, TX Grandfather is legendary Texas HS coach George Harris. Played QB/DB and was an Aggie commit before Sumlin pulled his
offer.

Kameron Miles ATH 6-2/200 Mesquite, TX (West) Oergon St offer

New videos:

Sammy Douglas

Andrew Billings

Houston Frog

Our entire offense was built around the zone read and variants with Dalton making decisions in the running game. Pachall looked awkward as hell running it. If we don't change then I hope he gets better at managing the running game.

Exactly.... we couldn't run the zone-read worth a crap this year, yet we still managed to have one of our best offensive years on record. That's because Pachall could wing it around the field.

On the other hand, say we had a QB who couldn't throw worth a damn, but was great at the zone read..... my guess is we wouldn't have been so hot on offense.

That is because passing the football is WAY more important than being able to run the zone read, as far as a QB's skill-set is concerned.

Being able to run the zone read is a bonus, and it adds another dimension, but it's not going to be the determining factor in who we recruit to play the position.