• The KillerFrogs

Wes, Need A Rumor Confirmed...

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I understand your argument, but its a hypothetical. To most it only makes sense assuming every ticket holder sells their ticket at the values you describe.

I also agree, TCU bent over...for $5,000,000. IF we were going to lose the home and home anyway, then I'm okay with it. I'd rather play OSU at Cowboys Stadium than not play them at all. IF, as some reports indicate, this was strictly a money play...then I'm disappointed in CDC.

I wouldn't blame him.

Just reading an article in the FWST and one paragraph stood out as the possible reason behind all of this

"Del Conte said he also considered how two games against the powerhouse Buckeyes would affect TCU’s College Football Playoff aspirations. The matchup aids strength of schedule, but a loss by a big margin could be negative.

Our scheduling philosophy is to put ourselves in the best position possible to win a Big 12 championship and have the best non-conference schedule that gives us an opportunity to be in the CFP,” Del Conte said.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...niversity/article147401554.html#storylink=cpy"

Fellows..there is the underlying reason for this. Its not just money.

I actually agree with the premise of this and we do get OSU in our backyard, not theirs

Last edited:

frognutz

I wouldn't blame him.

Just reading an article in the FWST and one paragraph stood out as the possible reason behind all of this

"Del Conte said he also considered how two games against the powerhouse Buckeyes would affect TCU’s College Football Playoff aspirations. The matchup aids strength of schedule, but a loss by a big margin could be negative.

Our scheduling philosophy is to put ourselves in the best position possible to win a Big 12 championship and have the best non-conference schedule that gives us an opportunity to be in the CFP,” Del Conte said.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...niversity/article147401554.html#storylink=cpy"

I actually agree with the promise of this and we do get OSU in our backyard, not theirs

Need to look no further than 2016 OU who's playoff chances were over after week 3 despite going undefeated in Big 12 play.

Starting this year, the two best teams in the conference are already adding an additional game against a guaranteed highly ranked opponent in the new CCG.

Not saying we adopt Baylor scheduling, but we probably shouldn't be scheduling Alabama in OOC play either.

Uncle_Frog

Just my opinion, but the comments from people saying they won't attend the game now are, quite frankly, embarrassing. I too would rather have a home and home with Ohio State and was really excited about the Buckeyes coming to The Carter. However, $5 Million goes a long way and I guarantee you the only way CGP agreed to this (and trust me, CDC did not make this decision with CGP's stamp of approval) was by committing the $5 Million to additional football facilities/upgrades. If they believe those dollars and upgrades/additions will help get better recruits and improve our program then we should all be on board.

Next, CDC has done an unbelievable amount for TCU in the last few year including raising funds for the new $160 MM stadium, new renovations for basketball, new renovations for baseball, and managed to assemble/retain the best coaching trio in D1 with CGP, CJS, and CJD. Some of the comments on here towards him are a bit aggressive and sound like those of spoiled brats...

Finally, TCU season tickets are pretty darn cheap. Less than half of many large state schools for comparable tickets. I get that people are upset about the additional cost, but you already save a significant amount of money by being a TCU fan. If 40-50k Ohio State fans can pay for flights AND hotels AND tickets, then you can support you schools by traveling 20 minutes down I-30. They moved the game to Arlington not Ohio... If you are too proud to support your team at the most famous football stadium in the world, while playing one of the marquee teams in the sport, with tons of hype and on prime time national TV--then good riddance!

frognutz

Just my opinion, but the comments from people saying they won't attend the game now are, quite frankly, embarrassing. I too would rather have a home and home with Ohio State and was really excited about the Buckeyes coming to The Carter. However, $5 Million goes a long way and I guarantee you the only way CGP agreed to this (and trust me, CDC did not make this decision with CGP's stamp of approval) was by committing the $5 Million to additional football facilities/upgrades. If they believe those dollars and upgrades/additions will help get better recruits and improve our program then we should all be on board.

Next, CDC has done an unbelievable amount for TCU in the last few year including raising funds for the new $160 MM stadium, new renovations for basketball, new renovations for baseball, and managed to assemble/retain the best coaching trio in D1 with CGP, CJS, and CJD. Some of the comments on here towards him are a bit aggressive and sound like those of spoiled brats...

Finally, TCU season tickets are pretty darn cheap. Less than half of many large state schools for comparable tickets. I get that people are upset about the additional cost, but you already save a significant amount of money by being a TCU fan. If 40-50k Ohio State fans can pay for flights AND hotels AND tickets, then you can support you schools by traveling 20 minutes down I-30. They moved the game to Arlington not Ohio... If you are too proud to support your team at the most famous football stadium in the world, while playing one of the marquee teams in the sport, with tons of hype and on prime time national TV--then good riddance!

Seriously. I don't get it either.

Comments I've read on here (not necessarily this thread):

"Players don't care about playing there. They all played there in high school anyway"

"Bad for recruiting because there will be more Ohio State fans"

"Horrible venue for college football"

"Tired of TCU playing games there"

"Why did we even build a new stadium"

"Ohio State had nothing to do with this decision, it was a TCU money grab. That's all it cares about"

"More proof that TCU and CDC don't care about the fans"

Instead of trusting CDC and HCGMFP, who have sheparded one of the biggest athletic turnarounds in recent history, to manage athletics in today's modern environment, we're now apparently so spoiled that we have all this room to complain about playing the most successful team in football over the last 5-6 years at the most recognizable venue in our half of the world.

stbrab

I wouldn't blame him.

I actually agree with the premise of this and we do get OSU in our backyard, not theirs
Interesting story...I suspect, and hope it's more than just a payday. The one constant is that the Cowboys/Jerry Jones started the ball rolling. Regardless, I plan on going to the game.

TRF51

For those who say it's not a big deal and we should all just suck it up. Consider they basically just doubled or increased the cost of our season tickets with this one game. Many of us pay $300 a ticket which is good. To get a decent seat to this one game we will be paying $300 or close to it. Multiply that by 4 and you can understand the frustration. To some of us dropping $1200 for a game (that you should not have to because you were told it would be part of your season ticket package) might not be a big deal but to many of us it is a big deal.

TRF51

Nobody has purchased season tickets for 2018 so that's not a great argument.

True, I have a feeling if they try and raise the price many will not re-up. If they kept the OSU game I am sure they would jack the price and everyone would have stayed.

smufrogger

It is a horrible venue for college football.

And while I have bought tcu season tickets for going on fourty years- I don't feel I owe Jerry a damn thing nor do I feel the urge to see tcu somewhere else but the carter for a non bowl game - at a bowl game price tag ! I've done that three times and I'm out for this one - and frankly don't give a damn if you don't agree with me. I and my party of six will watch it on my own big screen vs jerrys big screen!
But enjoy it- Jerry thanks you for your money!!

frognutz

For those who say it's not a big deal and we should all just suck it up. Consider they basically just doubled or increased the cost of our season tickets with this one game. Many of us pay $300 a ticket which is good. To get a decent seat to this one game we will be paying $300 or close to it. Multiply that by 4 and you can understand the frustration. To some of us dropping $1200 for a game (that you should not have to because you were told it would be part of your season ticket package) might not be a big deal but to many of us it is a big deal.

Everyone understands those feelings.

Fortunately, thanks to some of the best athletic leadership in the country, you get to watch home games against Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Kansas State, and Texas Tech that season. How soon some people forget.....

Pharm Frog

on prime time national TV

That's good enough for me. Economical. Don't even have an ounce of interest in making the trek to Arlington to watch that game in person. Would have had much greater interest in trying to score a ticket or two at ACS. But I'm generally against neutral site games until the post-season and believe that all D1 schools should have their football venue on campus. So yes...get off my lawn (especially you Armadillo)

Chongo94

I mean I would and probably will go to the game. But I do understand the concerns of both sides.

My more than likely super pathetic issue with this is, whenever I go to the death star, inevitably I watch the damn screen more than the field. And I ALWAYS leave thinking I just wasted so much money watching tv when I could've just stayed at home and seen the same thing on my own tv and saved money.

I know, that's dumb of me but it is what it is.

Uncle_Frog

That's good enough for me. Economical. Don't even have an ounce of interest in making the trek to Arlington to watch that game in person. Would have had much greater interest in trying to score a ticket or two at ACS. But I'm generally against neutral site games until the post-season and believe that all D1 schools should have their football venue on campus. So yes...get off my lawn (especially you Armadillo)

Just so I have it straight: you have over 21k posts on KF.c and probably spend hundreds of hours each month following TCU athletics, presumably live in the area, consider yourself a good Frog fan, yet are too proud or "cool for school" to go support your team at probably the biggest game of the year because they moved it 20 minutes away? I understand there are lots of reasons people can't make home games, but to not go because you are throwing a temper tantrum is pretty pathetic.

PO Frog

Just so I have it straight: you have over 21k posts on KF.c and probably spend hundreds of hours each month following TCU athletics, presumably live in the area, consider yourself a good Frog fan, yet are too proud or "cool for school" to go support your team at probably the biggest game of the year because they moved it 20 minutes away? I understand there are lots of reasons people can't make home games, but to not go because you are throwing a temper tantrum is pretty pathetic.
He doesn't live in the area

Pharm Frog

No idea how many posts I have. Do not live in that area. Do not spend "hundreds of hours each month" following Frog athletics. Not sure I spend "hundreds of hours a month" doing much of anything other than sleeping and working. Do consider myself a Frog fan. Enjoy being on the TCU campus when I do come down. Enjoy being at ACS. Do not enjoy Arlington. Have no interest whatsoever in supporting Jerry Jones Enterprises with my money. Can enjoy football games in the comfort of my home on a decently large television that is paid for. I have been known to have a temper but this is no tantrum. Have no issue with them switching venues although I don't like the idea personally. I do see why some season ticket holders would be upset. Simply preference on my part.

Uncle_Frog

No idea how many posts I have. Do not live in that area. Do not spend "hundreds of hours each month" following Frog athletics. Not sure I spend "hundreds of hours a month" doing much of anything other than sleeping and working. Do consider myself a Frog fan. Enjoy being on the TCU campus when I do come down. Enjoy being at ACS. Do not enjoy Arlington. Have no interest whatsoever in supporting Jerry Jones Enterprises with my money. Can enjoy football games in the comfort of my home on a decently large television that is paid for. I have been known to have a temper but this is no tantrum. Have no issue with them switching venues although I don't like the idea personally. I do see why some season ticket holders would be upset. Simply preference on my part.
I guess the part that we are going to disagree on is where the focus should be. You are concerned about where you have to go and whether you enjoy being at a certain stadium. I think the concern should be with showing up and supporting the team if you are able to make it. You have every right to your opinion, I just happen to strongly disagree.

tcumaniac

I guess the part that we are going to disagree on is where the focus should be. You are concerned about where you have to go and whether you enjoy being at a certain stadium. I think the concern should be with showing up and supporting the team if you are able to make it. You have every right to your opinion, I just happen to strongly disagree.

See that's the problem. If TCU is going to ignore the well being of its fan and simply make the best "business decision" for itself, don't be surprised when the fans stop showing up because they're doing the same thing for themselves.

Reminds me of a quote I read from an article a few years ago on Michigan Football's struggling attendance:

"If the people running college football see their universities as just a brand, and the athletic departments merely a business, they will turn off the very people who've been coming to their temples for decades. Athletic directors need to remember the people in the stands are not customers. They're believers. Break faith with your flock, and you will not get them back with fancier wine.

If you treat your fans like customers long enough, eventually they'll start behaving that way, reducing their irrational love for their team to a cool-headed, dollars-and-cents decision to buy tickets or not, with no more emotional investment than deciding whether to go to the movies or buy new tires."

cdsfrog

I wouldn't blame him.

Except they will bring just as many if not more.

Deep Purple

I mean I would and probably will go to the game. But I do understand the concerns of both sides.

My more than likely super pathetic issue with this is, whenever I go to the death star, inevitably I watch the damn screen more than the field. And I ALWAYS leave thinking I just wasted so much money watching tv when I could've just stayed at home and seen the same thing on my own tv and saved money.

I know, that's dumb of me but it is what it is.
It's not dumb, it's good sense. Twice I've paid super-charged ticket prices to attend TCU games at JerryWorld, and twice I've spent most of the game looking at that humongous monitor. You can't help it. It's so overwhelming, your eye is automatically drawn to it.

After the last game I attended, I thought, "This is completely stupid. I just spent well over a thousand bucks to watch a game on TV that I could have watched in HD from my own TV room for no more than the monthly cost of may satellite subscription."

That was the last time I ever attended -- or will attend -- a TCU game at JerryWorld.