• The KillerFrogs

Your greatest sports moments?

SnoSki

Here's an idea for an offseason thread..

I assume that most of us who are on here have played sports at one point in our lives. Every blind squirrel finds a nut, so I want to hear what your greatest moment(s) as an athlete are...regardless of sport or age. I'm tired of bickering about apathetic and entitled students and would prefer to hear some good, lightly-embellished stories from KF.C's own.

I'll start--I'm not much of an athlete but I do have some memories. Here goes:

I was on the golf team in high school, and not bad at it, but not great by collegiate standards. I shot (and still shoot) around 85 on a consistent basis. Anyhow-- I was playing a practice round with my team one afternoon my junior year (2004) on the par 4 4th at Panorama Country Club just north of Conroe.

Through the first three holes, I was 1 over par. After my drive at the fourth, I was in the right rough, but inside the cart path, about 150 yards out from the hole. The tree-lined fairway had a left to right angle and sloped downhill, with a small, round green flanked by bunkers short left and right. The sun was in my eyes at 4 or so that afternoon. I took out my eight iron and gave it a good, but not great swing. If I recall correctly I may have hit it a bit thin.

I tried to track the ball's flight, but the sun got the best of me. All I could see was that it was headed for the pin and that I had hit it thinly. I figured that I had hit it long, behind the green. My partners hit up to the green area and I started looking for my ball and couldn't find it anywhere.. short, long, in the bunker, in the bushes next to the neighboring tee box, in the ditch WAY long.. nowhere. Just when I was about to give up on it, my friend walks over to tend the pin and asks what kind of ball I was playing, and what number, and sure enough, I had holed out for an eagle from the rough at 150 yards or so, which put me at -1 through 4 holes. I think I ended up shooting 38 or 39 that nine. Don't remember much else.

In second place.. I played CB in 7th grade and intercepted a pass in a game where we beat our opponent 56-7. Wish I was faster or I might've gotten more than 20 yards upfield.

Alright-- I'm sure we have some studs, and maybe even some college sports stories. Let us hear em!

Houston Frog

Alright-- I'm sure we have some studs, and maybe even some college sports stories. Let us hear em!

I think I can help you out with that.....

1.) I was absolutely on fire in the 4th grade championship game (basketball) and scored 30 of my team's 42 points.... we lost 42-44 to the heavy favorites, but we gave them all they could handle. It was the only game my grandpa ever saw me play, so he probably died thinking I had a future in the NBA.

2.) I was QB of my freshman team, and on the first play of the first game of the season (my first live action ever), I hit my WR deep along the sideline for an 80 yard TD pass. We missed the extra point and proceeded to lose the game 63-6, but it was a cool moment while it lasted.

pgdaly84

I played varsity tennis all four years of high school. During my senior year I was the #3 singles player and was matched up against the #3 of our biggest rivals. The first time I played him I had a one set lead, up 4-2 in the second set. Just had to hold serve two more times to put the match away. Suddenly, my game completely left me. Serve wasn't going in. My forehand was just missing. I even missed the easiest overhead smash in the world. Put it right into the net. I ended up blowing the set and losing the match. I remember having a very deep conversation with my coach as he drove me back to my car at school about how it seems important now, but in the grand scheme of things it will only be a small blip on the radar.

Three weeks later I was matched up against the same player in my final match as a high school tennis player and found myself in the same situation. Won the first set. Up 4-2 in the second set; when once again the SAME THING started happening! I was coming completely unglued and ended up losing the second set 6-4 after missing another easy overhead. I'm normally a very relaxed person, but I completely snapped and smashed my racquet into the fence, breaking the frame. I decided right there that I was not going to finish my high school tennis career with another loss like that. My opponent really wanted it too, and we ended up playing the longest match of the day. It ended up being a nearly 4-hour match, and I managed to come out 7-6 after winning the tiebreaker 10-8. Being able to come back after blowing it against the same kid was so incredibly satisfying that the feeling has stuck with me ever since. They even mentioned the match and my career record on the school tv the next morning. As a tennis player you don't really expect to ever get any recognition from your peers in high school with football and basketball getting most of the attention, so that was a really cool experience. Definitely my favorite memory as a competitive athlete.

jake102

1) I won the roller hockey championship three times in a row in elementary school. I was the leader in scoring, assists and goal to shots percentage as a goalie.

2) I had an On Base Percentage of 1.000 in my only season of YMCA baseball in the 3rd grade. It was machine pitch.

weklfrog

passing Orah in mile 4 of the 1994 Marine Corps Marathon and then holding her off to beat her by a whopping 5+ minutes in what was one of my two worst races at that distance.

halfwaytoheaven

One time when I was like four I was playing outfield in t-ball. I failed to catch a fly ball, it hit me in the chest and when I woke up I way lying on the bench.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
I put down 3 martinis, a six pack and 2 bottles of Frogs Leap watching the Blackhawks win the final game to claim the Stanley Cup.

frogbyproxy

First big hit in football. Boswell vs Decatur freshman year. They had a running back everyone felt would get a scholarship. He was returning the kickoff and we made eye contact but we didn't prepare to hit we just ran into each other at full steam. He was knocked out and had to be carried off the field and I kept playing. God I loved that hit and was on the head hunter thereafter. :biggrin:

8th grade year won district for junior high with a 2:03 in the 880 yard. You know you did something spectacular when everyone from varsity comes over and congratulates you because the time would have won varsity district that year. :tongue:

Junior year Temple High School. Coach Taft had been at our practice and he came over to me and stated if I wanted I would be in a Bear Uniform when I graduate (first college offer). The following week one of the offensive lineman blocking for me lost his balance and kicked my leg on the side and my knee was dislocated by 4 inches on the inside of leg. Russel Mikeska was second string behind me and look where he ended up(falcons)! :blush:

tcumaniac

*cough cough*

Since everyone on here thinks I'm a fat, unathletic dbag, I'd like to share something:

I grew up playing soccer since I was 4. Starting in 4th grade (a year early), I played select soccer for Fort Worth Futbol Club. I was the starting right defender all the way until 8th grade when I quit to focus on football. I played football in 7th grade at All Saints as the starting middle linebacker. In 8th grade I moved to Aledo playing middle linebacker and fullback. That year I severely broke my back, and my doctor made quit football forever. Despite that, I tried doing 2 a days going into freshmen year and ended up hurting my back to the point I couldn't move for a week or so. That's when I had to officially hang it up.

Before hurting my back in 8th grade, I had tried out for the tennis team after school one day with some buddies as a joke. The same day I had to turn in my pads to Coach Buck after reinjuring my back during two a days, I got a phone call from the JV tennis coach saying that I was on the roster, but wasn't signed up for the class. My doctor told me I had to avoid all sports that involved contact, even soccer, so I really had no other options, so I told the coach I'd join the team. I had never really played tennis before, so I was pretty behind. After rehabing my back, I started doing drills and private lessons at Ridglea Country club nearly every single night. I made friends with some of the kids on varsity and begged them to hit with me after their afternoon practices. By the spring of my freshmen year, I was challenging kids on the varsity ladder and beating them. After freshmen year, I worked my butt off all summer trying to catch up with the kids at the top of the ladder on varsity. I played for hours everyday, entered tournaments as often as possible and went to a lot of different tennis camps, including one at TCU.

After that summer I came back to earn the 5 spot on the singles ladder and got a spot at #3 doubles. That year I had off and on back problems and had to miss the entire spring season. After an entire spring of rehab, I spent the summer before junior year training at least 4 hours a day. My junior year I won over a spot at #1 doubles and stayed there until I graduated. I became one of the best players on a team that went undefeated in district all three years I was on the team, and I won first place in boys doubles both years.

My most memorable match was senior year against Wichita Falls Rider's number 1 doubles team. It was the fall, which is team tennis season. Aledo was against Rider in the semifinals of the regional tournament. There are 6 guys single matches, 3 boys doubles matches, 6 girls singles matches, 3 girls doubles matches and a mixed doubles match which adds up to 19 total matches. Each match is worth a point, so the first team to win 10 matches wins the overall match and moves on.

I was playing #1 doubles against their 2 best guys, who were both very highly ranked in the state. On paper they should have slaughtered us. We lost the first set 7-6 and were down 5-0 in the second set. We ended up coming back to win the match 6-7, 7-6, 7-5 in what the coaches called one of the most epic matches they've seen. The whole tournament stopped what they were doing to come watch our match. Winning that match was seriously one of the greatest moments of my life. The two rider kids refused to shake our hands and stormed off the court in tears. The sad part of the story is that Aledo ended up losing the overall match 9-10. Rider then went on to get second in state. Too bad our team wasn't able to win one more match. It was still fun making the Wichita Falls kids cry.

SnoSki

First big hit in football. Boswell vs Decatur freshman year. They had a running back everyone felt would get a scholarship. He was returning the kickoff and we made eye contact but we didn't prepare to hit we just ran into each other at full steam. He was knocked out and had to be carried off the field and I kept playing. God I loved that hit and was on the head hunter thereafter. :biggrin:

8th grade year won district for junior high with a 2:03 in the 880 yard. You know you did something spectacular when everyone from varsity comes over and congratulates you because the time would have won varsity district that year. :tongue:

Junior year Temple High School. Coach Taft had been at our practice and he came over to me and stated if I wanted I would be in a Bear Uniform when I graduate (first college offer). The following week one of the offensive lineman blocking for me lost his balance and kicked my leg on the side and my knee was dislocated by 4 inches on the inside of leg. Russel Mikeska was second string behind me and look where he ended up(falcons)! :blush:

Good stories! Did you end up playing college ball? Don't know your real identity, sorry..

FrogAbroad

I come from an athletic family—my dad was an all-state sprinter and played football, and my mom was on a state champion basketball team when they were in high school—but somehow I must've been busy when the athlete genes were handed out because, basically, I have none. As a kid I yearned to play football but it was soon obvious I lacked size, I lacked speed, and most critical of all I lacked talent. That's why I wound up being a team manager and later a trainer. At least I could be somewhat involved in the sport I'd have given one or maybe two key body parts to play.

So over the years I pursued activities that didn't require me to be big and fast, just willing to learn, and that's why I sort of fell into a love affair with horses. They loan me size and speed and together we make quite a team. My athleticism is upon the back of a horse.

A short while ago, five months to the day after a tibial plateau fracture, I climbed onto Rojo and we started chasing longhorn cattle for three days down in Big Bend country. These three days were both a goal and a reward for me, decided upon while lying in a hospital bed after surgery, something to give me reason to go through recovery and therapy. Now Rojo isn't that much of a cow horse but I was determined to help make him one. We wound our way through cacti and canyons looking for strays and pushing them through the brush towards the gathering point. We sweated and strained together and came to an agreement that he'd let me think I was in charge about 80% of the time. In truth we do make a couple of pretty fair hands.

On the third day we were riding drag along a dusty road towards the summer pasture and frankly he and I sort of got tired of the view, so we moved ahead and off to one side just a bit, riding flank to the herd. This pleased me but I could tell Rojo was somewhat less than satisfied. Now he had to walk rocky ground instead of the dirt road where we'd been, and being off to the side of that road there wasn't a whole lot of level ground. In fact there was a goodly number of dry creek beds and sand-bottomed coulees to transverse. Ol' Rojo would sort of slide down one side, then lurch up the other, and I reckon it was more work than he'd signed on to do.

After about an hour of this I spotted two young longhorns breaking from the herd and trying to circle back around to where we'd moved them from, so naturally I gives Rojo a kick in the ribs and we move off at a fast clip to push them back to the main herd. There was this little dry creek between us and them, and naturally I aimed to cross it and keep after them. Now, this is the 20% of the deal where Rojo let me know he was in charge, because just as we got to the edge of that drop-off I felt his muscles tense, and in an instant I knew exactly what he was going to do. And he did. He dropped his hindquarters just a tad and then uncoiled…right across that drop-off.

This was not at all what I'd planned but there was no time to stop and think about it. Rojo took off from the south side and came down on the north side, and I'm proud to say I was with him when he left the ground and when he returned to it.

It took me a few moments to realize what we'd just done, and when I did I think my first reaction was, "Damn, Rojo! Let's do that again!"

An experience like that…well, it's one of a whole bunch of reasons I think tomorrow's worth having only if there's horses there.

frogbyproxy

Good stories! Did you end up playing college ball? Don't know your real identity, sorry..

They couldn't do the surgery on the ligaments and tendons. Stated I would walk like chester for the rest of my life if I had another injury to the knee. Now days I think the surgery can be done but back then was impossible. So I was not allowed to play after that because the coaches didn't want to take the chance. The first coach that got to me when I was injured turned several different colors and I had to calm him down so he wouldn't throw up. :rolleyes: I feel like Al Bundy from Married with Children. :tongue:

NubomTurk

Tier 1
*cough cough*

Since everyone on here thinks I'm a fat, unathletic dbag, I'd like to share something:

I grew up playing soccer since I was 4. Starting in 4th grade (a year early), I played select soccer for Fort Worth Futbol Club. I was the starting right defender all the way until 8th grade when I quit to focus on football. I played football in 7th grade at All Saints as the starting middle linebacker. In 8th grade I moved to Aledo playing middle linebacker and fullback. That year I severely broke my back, and my doctor made quit football forever. Despite that, I tried doing 2 a days going into freshmen year and ended up hurting my back to the point I couldn't move for a week or so. That's when I had to officially hang it up.

Before hurting my back in 8th grade, I had tried out for the tennis team after school one day with some buddies as a joke. The same day I had to turn in my pads to Coach Buck after reinjuring my back during two a days, I got a phone call from the JV tennis coach saying that I was on the roster, but wasn't signed up for the class. My doctor told me I had to avoid all sports that involved contact, even soccer, so I really had no other options, so I told the coach I'd join the team. I had never really played tennis before, so I was pretty behind. After rehabing my back, I started doing drills and private lessons at Ridglea Country club nearly every single night. I made friends with some of the kids on varsity and begged them to hit with me after their afternoon practices. By the spring of my freshmen year, I was challenging kids on the varsity ladder and beating them. After freshmen year, I worked my butt off all summer trying to catch up with the kids at the top of the ladder on varsity. I played for hours everyday, entered tournaments as often as possible and went to a lot of different tennis camps, including one at TCU.

After that summer I came back to earn the 5 spot on the singles ladder and got a spot at #3 doubles. That year I had off and on back problems and had to miss the entire spring season. After an entire spring of rehab, I spent the summer before junior year training at least 4 hours a day. My junior year I won over a spot at #1 doubles and stayed there until I graduated. I became one of the best players on a team that went undefeated in district all three years I was on the team, and I won first place in boys doubles both years.

My most memorable match was senior year against Wichita Falls Rider's number 1 doubles team. It was the fall, which is team tennis season. Aledo was against Rider in the semifinals of the regional tournament. There are 6 guys single matches, 3 boys doubles matches, 6 girls singles matches, 3 girls doubles matches and a mixed doubles match which adds up to 19 total matches. Each match is worth a point, so the first team to win 10 matches wins the overall match and moves on.

I was playing #1 doubles against their 2 best guys, who were both very highly ranked in the state. On paper they should have slaughtered us. We lost the first set 7-6 and were down 5-0 in the second set. We ended up coming back to win the match 6-7, 7-6, 7-5 in what the coaches called one of the most epic matches they've seen. The whole tournament stopped what they were doing to come watch our match. Winning that match was seriously one of the greatest moments of my life. The two rider kids refused to shake our hands and stormed off the court in tears. The sad part of the story is that Aledo ended up losing the overall match 9-10. Rider then went on to get second in state. Too bad our team wasn't able to win one more match. It was still fun making the Wichita Falls kids cry.

You had me at "...everyone on here thinks I'm a fat, unathletic dbag..."

On the other hand, I was the Outstanding Physics Student at Midway High School my senior year, so... bravo, maniac.

TCURiggs

You had me at "...everyone on here thinks I'm a fat, unathletic dbag..."

On the other hand, I was the Outstanding Physics Student at Midway High School my senior year, so... bravo, maniac.

You grew up not too far from me...I'm from the big city of Clifton.

My favorite memory was breaking my facemask on some dude's head my Senior year on a kickoff. The team we were playing were the dirtiest bunch of goons I've ever seen (they had just broken our starting RB's leg on the previous TD on a dirty hit), so it felt even better to drop one of those clowns. I've had more meaningful sports moments, but that was my favorite.

For the record, I didn't snap the bars on my facemask. I broke the bracket that attached the facemask to the helmet. Either way, having to miss a couple of plays b/c I broke my helmet on one of those thug's heads made me feel good.

SnoSki

I think my first reaction was, "Damn, Rojo! Let's do that again!"

An experience like that…well, it's one of a whole bunch of reasons I think tomorrow's worth having only if there's horses there.

Pretty cool story! I like that. I've never really been around horses except at the rodeo, so I have to admit that they intimidate me quite a bit.