• The KillerFrogs

Your greatest sports moments?

SuperToad

I have 3 that really stand out.

1) winning District as a freshman in golf. I played the best game of my life and moved on to regional. Although i placed 5th in regional, it was an experience of a lifetime. I also saw a real Horned Lizard for the first time!

2) beating the absolute crap out of our cross town rivals in football in senior year in HS. It was rainy the first half but we still racked up the points. Ended up 39-0. I'm normally the kicker, but in the 4th quarter, i got to play runningback. It was awesome.

3) getting to play in Cowboys Stadium. I will never ever forget this. When we walked out on the field for wrm ups, we stood in awe of just how massive it was from the field, and getting to try to punt the ball at the Jumbo-Tron was pretty fun. Played my very last game of football there.

DannyAdelante

I grew up in Ireland, and came from a big soccer family. My dad played underage soccer for the Scottish national team, and my younger brother played underage soccer for the Irish national team. My brother was offered professional contracts but then blew out his knee when he was 17, never fully recovered, and that was that. He used to play center midfield in the same team as Darron Gibson (of Man Utd and Ireland) when they were teens.

I was never as talented as either my dad or my brother. I was good, but not in the class they were in. I won county titles and got to national finals with my soccer and gaelic football teams, which were pretty nice, but my favourite sporting achievements were when I took up American football in college.
I played CB, WR, K & P, and we made three national championship games in a row - 2007-2009, winning all of them.
In the 2007 game I picked off a pass just before halftime which was a big momentum changer.
In the 2008 final, I didn't allow one complete pass, and I made a pancake block on an INT return for a TD which looked pretty awesome on film afterwards!
The best was the 2009 final. I wasn't going to play CB or WR because of neck injuries that I'd picked up, so I was just the kicker and the punter. The final finished 6-6 and went to overtime - NFL rules. My roommate, who used to play basketball for South Carolina, picked off a pass at the start of overtime, and put us in good field position. Three plays later, I ended up kicking the field goal that won us the national championship.
Although it was only in Ireland, the euphoria of seeing the ball go through the posts and having the entire team jump on you was incredible. I can just imagine what Wes Byrum must have felt, doing it on the national stage to win the championship against Oregon last season.

Army Frog Fan

I did make it onto the field during the Fresno State-Nevada game last season. I broke off a solid run but was tackled just before crossing the goal line...

FrogsMcGee

I was the 5th ranked 300 hurdler nationally in the class of 2000 at the time of my last meet with a time of 36.79. I was a ranked about 12th in the 110 hurdles with at time of 14.07. Personal best high jump was 6'7". Personal best 400 meter time was 47.1, although I was clocked at a 46.2 split on the final leg of the 4x4 in the district meet my senior year in high school. I ran cross country in the fall to stay in shape and have a good base for track, with a personal best 5k time of 16:32. Constant recurring hamstring problems at TCU prevented me from improving on any of that.

BogeyGolf7

In 8th grade I was 6-6 from 3 in a game, so with seconds remaining and we are down 3, Coach draws up a play for me to get ball to try to tie it up
Unfortunately our point guard had the ball stolen from him in the back court and we lost by 5

Best play I've ever been apart of was a 8-2-5 double play my senior year in baseball
Top of the 7th tied at 2 Runners at 1st and 2nd - 1 out
base hit to center, our CF throws a strike to me at the plate, the runner was sliding to the back of the plate so I dive after him to tag him out, spin around and throw out the next runner going to 3rd
We win the game, 3-2 in the bottom of the 7th to advance to the playoffs

SFA Frog

One time when I was like four I was playing outfield in t-ball. I failed to catch a fly ball, it hit me in the chest and when I woke up I way lying on the bench.

In little league (4th or 5th grade I think) I was at bat and I too caught the ball with my chest. I remember the pitch before I stood there with the bat on my shoulder and somehow still hit the ball foul. However, that last pitch I woke up laying on home plate with 2 EMTs, the umpire and coaches around me. The home plate umpire was a little hispanic man with a noticable accent that was standing at my feet yelling at me to "BREATHE".

geno

It was my freshman year at TCU. At the required PE class, we broke up into teams to play basketball. I wore thick glasses then, had taken them off to play. Having the ball, early in the game, I tried to pass it to a teammate under the basket. Being almost blind, my pass went way over him and into the basket, two points. Teammates assumed I was a whiz at basketball, kept passing me the ball. Felt good for awhile, til they realized I had done well to find my way onto the court. Sic transit gloria.

ricksterh

I grew up in Indiana back in the "Hoosiers days". If you saw that movie I grew up in that. Half way through my soph year in hs we moved to Richardson. The kids from there played football Wendell Housley A&M, Steve Higgins Arkansas. Mike Oliver OU, Lou Brewer Tech, Andy Rooker Rice baseball and a couple who played at SMU. I was captain of my hs basketbsll team. Like me most of us had moved in from other parts of the country. I went to Tyler JC to try out and a couple weeks later I got a letter from Coach Wagstaff who said if I came there and made the team he might give me a scholarship. I thought it was a thanks for trying letter and went over and talked to the coaches at TCU. They told me if I could make the varsity they would give me a scholarship so I came to TCU. Back then we had a freshman team and I played on that. It came down to the last game of the saeson when we played Texas in Austin for the Championship. We lost by two. Our Coach Bob Walker told us if we worked and stuck together we could win the SWC. My senior year I earned a half scholarship and a letter as the manager. The last game of the season we were tied with that same Texas bunch and Baylor. We beat Baylor in Waco and Ark upset Texas and we won the SWC. We played and beat the big 8 champion KSU to go to the Final 8 in the NCAA. That was my biggest thrill to
be part of that.

Deep Purple

Jr High football. This was when we still played single-platoon. I made a tackle for loss, scored a TD, and made a 2-point conversion in a one game. My twin brother intercepted a pass and made a TD-saving tackle in the same game. The stadium announcer was just calling the player last names Some guy sitting near my mother wasn't paying attention to the jersey numbers, just the names. He turned to her and said, "Man, that Deep Purple kid is all over the field, isn't he?"

Mom always got a good laugh out of that.

groundfrog

Sophomore year at TCU, IM Football. Because the stupid co-ed rules made it all but impossible for a guy to touch the ball on offense, I spent most of the time on defense, playing a mlb/safety type position. On consecutive plays I had a QB sack and pick six that went 40 yards the opposite way. Our team had zero offensive production, so that may well have been the only points we scored that night...

frogbyproxy

Too bad there are not any "Do Overs". Soooo many things I could have changed. First thing I would have changed was not going to watch the girls track team in Ennis my freshman year. :tongue: The rest would be easy. :laugh:

hometown frog

I like the Al Bundy Thread. This is good stuff.

My best was getting to say that I ripped a double off of someone from the Ryan family..... Now it was Reece.....but he had the same pitching motion as his old man so in my head I claim credit for smashing a Nolan Ryan fastball off the top of the fence in right center field at the old TCU ballpark. (fall intra-squad game during open tryouts.) I just wish it had been 2 foot higher so I could really go Al Bundy and talk about how I went yard against Nolan..... :tongue:

The other one was back in high school my sophmore year playing JV baseball. We had a varsity team drop out of the Southwest Classic Tourney late so they decided to just let us fill in for them. Our first game we are playing Sam Houston High, who was rated in the Star Telegram's Area Top 5 at the time. They had a big RF that was HUGE and a beast on the ballfield. (he got a D1 scholly somewhere big like UT or Okie but I think injuries washed him out...) Any rate, he crushes one into the alley and tries to leg out an inside the park home run on us. CF gets to the ball and makes a helluva one hop relay throw in time to me at the plate. Problem is the BIG locomotive train was literally screaming as he was coming down the line. (I swear he had red eyes and steam billowing out of his helmet, but I may be a bit confused there...) I think I weighed 130 with all of the catching gear on at the time so I think the absolute frozen fear of getting killed kept the ball in my glove as he 'slid' (*cough* bulled into me forearm first *cough*) into me and we went tumbling backwards. He came up with a mild limp, I came up with the ball and the ump came up with a "YER OUT!!" I then went into the dugout and ate all the Advil I had in my bag to get rid of the headache....

ShivasFrog

Walk-off HR on last at-bat in final Little League game. My dad was the ump in the field and gave me a wink as I rounded second. It was the only HR hit by our .500 team that season.

Trelvis

I once threw a ball over them mountains...

9a1iiu.gif

Limp Lizard

Let's see. Going undefeated in football in 8th and 9th grade. Quit before 10th grade to play golf...and the team was never the same
rolleyes.gif
. In football: glory and regret on the same play, in 9th grade playing as a hulking 5-7, 150 lb OG, and getting a great block on the much bigger nose guard, got under his pads and drove him straight back about 3 yards...was so shocked about how easy that was (looking at him before the play I thought he was going to kick my [Craig James]) that I just stopped and he broke away and made the tackle for just a 5-yard gain. 50 years later, I still wonder how far I could have pushed him if I hadn't quit.

Then, senior year in HS, leading the golf team to the regional tournament. And I don't want to talk about the regional tourney, though.
blush.gif

And kind of a dirty player in intramural football at TCU...inadvertently... would crush the blocker's Adam's apple with my elbow as I rushed the passer.

Lots of good golf memories over the years, plus a weird-assed tennis serve which would kick sideways. Golf is the only game I play now.

And, of course, the most ironic moment, when before Freshman year, I went with my friend from HS who had a scholly to TCU as an offensive lineman. His teammates saw little me with the big fellah, and assumed I was on the track team....and I was very, very slow, despite my small size.

purplepreacher

I played left tackle for WB RAy (Corpus christi) JV. We beat our cross town rivals (Roy Miller) for the first time in 1958. I weighed 145 lbs. Know it doesn't sound like much, but it means a lot to me.