• The KillerFrogs

Your greatest sports moments?

JugbandFrog

I may not look like much now, but I did play a lot of sports back in my day. Now, remember I wasn't a star, but I was on the football team, basketball team and the track team. I tried out every year (middle school through high school) for the baseball team, but never made it. Being from a small town, everyone knew my weakness. I can still hit the ball pretty darn hard, but I had the Serrano weakness. I could not lay off the high ones. Hack hack hack.

Anyhoo, my greatest moment was in college when I beat Khadevis Robinson in a foot race from the Bellaire Apartments to University drive. We were drunk. He tripped. I won. Woohoo! I still razz him about it to this day. Mr I ran in the Olympics lost to a fat mexican on a spring night running down Bellaire Dr. N. Haha.

After that, I hit a basket one time in a game and in football I made a bunch of awesome blocks, but no one outside of me and my o-line coach ever appreciated them, so the story is not worth telling.

2themax

Sr yr in hs I scored a double-double (18 pts - 10 rebs) against a guy who was 6'8" and who went on to play for the Houston Rockets. I'm 6'2'. I dunked in that game.

Played te,cb,de,wr my sr yr in state champ fb game. We won by 1 pt. Caught a td pass.

Favorite feat was dunking a lob pass during pick up game @ Rickel. Guy threw the ball up and I caught it thinking I was going to lay it in. Looked for rim after catch and was surprised to see it really close. Jammed it best I could. Dang that felt really good. Only time I was ever able to do that.

Special to me was my 1st athletic trophy. A 2nd place Punt,Pass & Kick trophy when I was 9. Kept that thing thru college.

LeisureFrog

Freshman League Baseball (Age 12?)
One game
- grand slam
- 2-run homer
- solo homer
- double

* only 2 other homers in baseball career!

High School Soccer:
- double hat trick vs. Killeen
- game winning (1-0) playoff goal / bender around wall upper 90 vs. Dallas Skyline

Turk and Riggs, what year did you two graduate? Waco High Class of 02 here.

4 top memories

7th grade tackle football at a small catholic private school our team was dreadful. We were 0-8 and it was our last game tied 7-7 with 13 seconds left to play. I caught an 80 yard TD pass to end our season 1-8. I was carried off the field on my teammates shoulders. Hilarious to think about it.

4th grade was the first year they let anyone play competive basketball for your school. The first game of the year we won 20-2. I scored 18 points and rejected my best friend from the opposing team. His mom was not too happy about it.

Although my last one was not a personal achievement, I played highschool football with Derrick Johnson and I will never forget the game against John Tyler where he had 31 tackles. We lost that game, and later ended up being knocked out of the playoffs by them right before they lost to Katy for the championship. We blew a 21-0 lead in the second half and it made me sick. I really think that Waco High team of 01 had what it took to win a state title.

Last real competive sport I played was Varsity baseball and I ended my career with a double at Texas A&M Olsen Field against Texas A&M Consolidated who I believe later played in the State Finals.

TCURiggs

Turk and Riggs, what year did you two graduate? Waco High Class of 02 here.

4 top memories

7th grade tackle football at a small catholic private school our team was dreadful. We were 0-8 and it was our last game tied 7-7 with 13 seconds left to play. I caught an 80 yard TD pass to end our season 1-8. I was carried off the field on my teammates shoulders. Hilarious to think about it.

4th grade was the first year they let anyone play competive basketball for your school. The first game of the year we won 20-2. I scored 18 points and rejected my best friend from the opposing team. His mom was not too happy about it.

Although my last one was not a personal achievement, I played highschool football with Derrick Johnson and I will never forget the game against John Tyler where he had 31 tackles. We lost that game, and later ended up being knocked out of the playoffs by them right before they lost to Katy for the championship. We blew a 21-0 lead in the second half and it made me sick. I really think that Waco High team of 01 had what it took to win a state title.

Last real competive sport I played was Varsity baseball and I ended my career with a double at Texas A&M Olsen Field against Texas A&M Consolidated who I believe later played in the State Finals.

Clifton High Class of 01. Sounds like you went to middle school at Reicher? A couple of my buddies went there, so I'm sure you'd know them if so.

TCURiggs

Yes sir, Im sure we know a lot of the same people. Zach Duke was a Clifton 00 grad I believe. Played some select baseball with him in HS.

I grew up with Zach...great dude. He was actually in my class, but he transferred to Midway after our Freshman year (better baseball program, obviously)...that seems to have worked out well :biggrin:

RaiderHater

It's good to hear some HS soccer stories here.

I went to a private HS with only 85 students (about 45 were male). Our school sucked in every sport but soccer.

Even though our school was small we regulary played public schools with about 1000-1500 students and beat them about 6-0.

One of my favorite moments was when our team was scheduled to play a very solid HS soccer team, but they sent their JV team (probably didn't want to embaruss us). Our coach was furious. So we beat their JV team 12-0. Our coach demands that we play their varsity. A week later we play their varisty team and beat'em 2-1. Just loved the look on the coach's face after the game.

stevestamp

Under 14 North Texas State Champs in soccer was a shining moment for this young lad. We ventured over to Dallas and took care of business.

1986, junior year on varsity baseball at Southwest, went 5-8 with 6 RBIs as we beat Western Hills and Heights in a three way playoff to see who made the playoffs. One long day of baseball. Side story, seniors opted to attend Senior Prom that night and when they came back on Monday Coach Ingram kicked them off the team which sparked controversy.

Sticking with baseball, senior year had a three run double off the wall against Duncanville's David Nied that gave us the lead late in the game in the Rebel Classic. This was soon overshadowed by a moon shot grand slam off the bat of future Frog Paul Gonazlez.

Lastly, walked on to punt and kick at NTSU in 1987. Had to survive a "kickoff" between myself and 11 other kicers/punters in an open tryout to see who would go through two a days...was in the zone despite being extremely nervous in front of the always enigmatic Corky Nelson and won the competition.

asleep003

1967 as a nose guard on run defense and middle LB on pass defense for the Paschal Panthers. Playing Carter High School, very late in the game, we had a one score lead and Carter High was moving the ball down the field in the air. On our own 35 to 40... picked off a slant pass over the middle and swivel hipped it all of 7 yards on the return. Then our offense took over and ran out the clock. That's about as big as it gets for this nose guard. Cheers !