• The KillerFrogs

Your Best Single Moment Memory in TCU Sports

ricksterh

My favorite was when Ricksterh scored the 99th and 100th point against the A&M Fish in 1965, the second time he had scored the 100th point that season for the Wog Basketball team..What a player!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I think you got the assist on that play when you weren't busy shooting your hookshot from the corner on the assist from Mickey McCarty! :biggrin: :biggrin:

MadFrog

Like many of you I was at a lot of these. I almost passed out screaming so hard when Jamie hit that shot against UT. Same thing with the CWS grand slam from last year. I was on the Meacham Field tarmac when that Southwest jet rolled up to us after the hurting Wacker put on the pigs in Arkansas. Any of the Killer Frogs' DMC sellout victories from their 1986 and 1987 championship teams also rank high with me (oh, that team could play).

But, by far, without a doubt, there was no better feeling in my opinion than watching the Rose Bowl win. 13-0, # 2 final ranking in both major polls, kicking the Big 10, the talk of the nation, ...

Liverlips

Was a co-captain on the Sun Bowl team...the only thing that topped being out there for the pre-game coin toss was actually the mid-game, post halftime on field meeting with the officials and USC captain rep. I stood across from Chris Claiborne and realized that he, and the rest of his USC team were done...they wanted no more. Its hard to describe how great it feels to demoralize a heavily favored opponent...by halftime

With that said...Rose Bowl and CWS are now 1 & 2, with my Sun Bowl experience 3rd

masterfrog

This is really tough, but I would have to say Jamie Dixon's "shot heard around the world" against Texas to win the game. I was only 14 years old but was at the game and never nor never will forget it. Daniel Meyer was freaking ELECTRIC! Plus it was UT

Tank's "Immaculate Deflection" is right up there as well along with Curry's grand slam.
Pretty much the exact same story for me on the Dixon shot. My dad bought scalp tickets before the game, and my memory may be playing tricks on me, but we were in the middle of an Orange section (so I would guess the UT section), but it was not behind the Longhorn bench. We were behind the opposite basket from where Dixon's shot went in. Brownlee hit the free throws to give the Longhorns their first lead since the opening minute and my section was going wild. When Dixon's shot went it, my dad and I jumped up and down so long that when we gained our composure and looked around our section was empty. I have never had a repeat of an experience like that at a TCU game. I just wish the team could have won the final game of the year so we didn't have to share the conference crown.

Houston Frog

Was a co-captain on the Sun Bowl team...the only thing that topped being out there for the pre-game coin toss was actually the mid-game, post halftime on field meeting with the officials and USC captain rep. I stood across from Chris Claiborne and realized that he, and the rest of his USC team were done...they wanted no more. Its hard to describe how great it feels to demoralize a heavily favored opponent...by halftime

With that said...Rose Bowl and CWS are now 1 & 2, with my Sun Bowl experience 3rd

Pretty awesome

asleep003

In 1961, I was one of the 3 TCU mascots(6th graders) that led the Frogs on to the field at all the home games in uniform... plus we were allowed one road trip a year. Since SMU was a home game that year, we were allowed to select. Of course we wanted Texas, as they were #1 at that time and had several All-Americans. TCU was fairly 'flee bitten' at the time with little hope... yet we beat the horns in a 60,000 horseshoe Memorial Stadium on a beautiful Autumn afternoon... knocking out James Saxton (all-American RB) twice during the game, before he was pulled from the game. A very deep pass from Sonny Gibbs to Buddy Isles was the difference, as the Frogs botched the kick.... the frogs had 2-3 successful goal line stands.

On the way home on the bus, we stopped off in Temple, Texas to eat. They were one T-bone short at the restaurant and Sonny gave me his T-bone and took Chicken fried steak instead. By the way, Tommy Joe Crutcher also did a great job on both sides of the ball that Saturday!

Deep Purple

Standing on the field after the Sun Bowl victory. Beginnings are always best.

Funny, but after the Rose Bowl I told my wife, "This feels almost exactly like the Sun Bowl win in '98." It was the same thrill, pride, and boundless elation.

These are easily the two most fun TCU bowls I've ever attended -- and I've been to most of them during the last 15 years.

zfrawg

Hard to single out 1 moment. The Rose and Sun Bowls are the best experiences along with the 05 game in Norman sitting at the opposite end of all the Frog sections. As far as in game moments: Marvin White's hit was awesome, LT hitting 406, and when my brother Mike hit his 57 yarder against UTEP. We were listening to the game on speaker phone from our house in Montgomery AL.

Curry's GS was also great. I was watching the game on DVR about 1 hr behind while visiting family in OH. My father-in-law said something about us getting killed, ticked me off so I fast forwarded the game and caught up to live time right at the start of that inning. I still don't think that ball "really" landed!

TCUBetterThanYou

Mine was 2005 in Norman. I've never had a feeling like that. Beating Texas to go to the CWS might have been close, but to sit there in total shock at what my team just accomplished, I just don't think I will ever have that feeling again. I still remember just sitting there in the endzone as the crowd shuffled out, until almost every drop of crimson and cream was gone. I was there with my Dad, and we didn't even talk. We just sat there staring at the field.

I will be so ecstatic if/when we win a national championship in football, but even then, I know the feeling won't be as intense, because I will be ready for it this time.

One's I've personally witnessed:

(1) Rose Bowl -- the entire thing, from start to finish, was the best Frog experience. Nothing else is even close. I can still hear our crowd chanting "T - C - U". And watching and amped-up Marcus Cannon be the first guy on the field -- in an obvious gesture of showing the crowd that we had some size, too -- was a poignant moment. The final seconds, as Dalton did the kneel down, were highly emotional for everyone in the crowd. Moist eyes everywhere, and rightfully so.

(2) Jamie Dixon's shot -- I was a student and rushed the court. It was a very exciting moment.

(3) The entire 1984 Season -- and watching Kenneth Davis run. That was a special season. I still rank it in the top three in my lifetime behind the last two years.

(4) Tony Jeffery's 343-yard game at the Superdome against Tulane. If he had been in better condition, he could have rushed for 400+. He almost collapsed after his last long TD run, and left the game at about the start of the 4th quarter.

"TV Moments"

(1) Sun Bowl

(2) Curry's blast. You could sense something was about to happen, which made it all the more special.

(3) College Game Day at TCU -- that was a big moment in validating our program.

honnonih

Rose Bowl and Arkansas game are #2 and #3. The best though, was 1971 Johnny Grace's perfect game. Full count on the final batter (an all-american) against #4 Pan American. Struck him out (swinging) on the best slider ever thrown. Pandamonium in a full stadium (kids had come running to the stadium in the final innings when they heard what was going on.) Great memory.

2themax

Will never forget the team meeting after the K Davis/T Jeffery performance against Utah St. The team was just as shocked and surprised as everyone else. Wacker and staff were stunned but very very happy.

RaiderHater

Depends how you define "moment". If it is one specific play lasting 30 seconds or less then its definitely Curry's Grand Slam against Florida State.

If it can consider a whole game or great achievement then definitely the rose bowl victory.

I know some people mentioned LT's rushing record day. But c'mon football's a team sport. There's no way LT running for 406 against a horrible defense in front of 20,000 fans can top TCU beating #5 Wisconsin in the ROSE BOWL in front of 94,000 fans and millions watching on TV.

westtexfrog

I know that for most of you there have been bigger moments during more recent successess, but for me, the moment was 1981 when the Frogs finally beat Arkansas. If that didn't offer hope that there IS a better world if we reach for it, nothing will.

23 - 14 victory over Bevo wasn't too bad either, but the '81 Arkansas was pretty damn awesome. We capped a long night of celebration with in "pigs in the blanket" while reading recap of the game in the "Good" Startle-Gram at Old South around 5:00 am. I remember going by ACS after Old South and the score was still lit on the old scoreboard.

halfwaytoheaven

Curry's GS was also great. I was watching the game on DVR about 1 hr behind while visiting family in OH. My father-in-law said something about us getting killed, ticked me off so I fast forwarded the game and caught up to live time right at the start of that inning. I still don't think that ball "really" landed!

I was watching that game at my parents' place. Just after Curry stepped to the plate, my mom, who was listening to the radio broadcast on her headset, let out an ear-splitting "YEESSSS!!!" Dad and I looked at her, then looked back at the TV (which was on a delay, apparently), just in time to see the Grand Slam.

But that hit just won us a game - if it had been for the CWS title, then it would be higher. Also, I didn't see it in person. The Rose Bowl win, followed by the Super Regional win in Austin - those are 1 and 2 for me.

Also, fun story from the Super Regional. So, I'm heading back up 35 after the game, throwing my Frog up at every car I see with a TCU flag or decal on it, and I stop for a burger in Round Rock. I'm ordering my food, wearing purple in a sea of burnt orange. The girl behind the counter looks at me and asks,

"Did you guys just play those guys?"

I nod.

"Who won?"

I give her the "what has two thumbs and loves beating the longhorns" gesture, and she giggles a little. Good times.

westtexfrog

One's I've personally witnessed:

(1) Rose Bowl -- the entire thing, from start to finish, was the best Frog experience. Nothing else is even close. I can still hear our crowd chanting "T - C - U". And watching and amped-up Marcus Cannon be the first guy on the field -- in an obvious gesture of showing the crowd that we had some size, too -- was a poignant moment. The final seconds, as Dalton did the kneel down, were highly emotional for everyone in the crowd. Moist eyes everywhere, and rightfully so.

Still get chills when I think about our crowd at Rose Bowl chanting "T-C-U". After the game all our fans gathered around the band behind the ESPN booth, they were so loud I think ESPN had to cut away from the live post game broadcast for a commercial. One Frog in particular was all over Herb..."How bout those Frogs Herbie?" BTW, I just got back from LA last night and folks out there are still talking about TCU.

Opintel

Moderators
The Rose Bowl victory (was there), then the huge relief from the victory over those damn Razorbacks.

There have been so many in this thread...makes my little purple heart ready to pop! It's good to be a Froggie. :biggrin: