• The KillerFrogs

you can't build an offense without a foundation and that is the offensive line

MTfrog5

not me because based upon that 3rd clip shawn made the right read on the throw to derius davis. i thought it looked like davis was open deep and that clip shows he was definitely open.

uncle frog big guy? you going to tell me the failure to provide a pocket for shawn to step up on that throw and follow through wasn't a byproduct of poor offensive line play or you still going to keep selling that same old tire line of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]?
Definitely agree that Davis was open and is a TD if SR could have stepped into the throw

Eight

Come on now...you know it true...:)

davis was behind the safety and he was the only receiver in the center of the field.

seriously dude? who is the safety going to think shawin is throwing the ball?

you have a receiver to the top and the bottom and from the clip the receiver to the top is pinned to the sideline by the corner. you thinking staring there would fool the safety?

i am also impressed you can see shawn's eyes and where he is looking on that twitter feed

how about they don't turn the pass rusher loose so sean can step into the throw to the receiver who is outrunning the secondary.

Last edited:

CryptoMiner

10 players were signed and moved to the position and 2 basically have panned out from those classes. austin schlottman and cordel iwuagwu.

Elliott, McDermott, Bolisomi?

So 5 out of the ten started multiple games or have had significant PT, that is not a bad hit rate for any position.

CryptoMiner

not me because based upon that 3rd clip shawn made the right read on the throw to derius davis. i thought it looked like davis was open deep and that clip shows he was definitely open.

uncle frog big guy? you going to tell me the failure to provide a pocket for shawn to step up on that throw and follow through wasn't a byproduct of poor offensive line play or you still going to keep selling that same old tire line of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]?

Ball snapped at 5:19 thrown deep at 5:15 and defender had more than a step to reach SR. Bad throw OL not the problem there.

FrogLifeYo

davis was behind the safety and he was the only receiver in the center of the field.

seriously dude? who is the safety going to think shawin is throwing the ball?

you have a receiver to the top and the bottom and from the clip the receiver to the top is pinned to the sideline by the corner. you thinking staring there would fool the safety?

how about they don't turn the pass rusher loose so sean can step into the throw to the receiver who is outrunning the secondary.

This is really stupid we are arguing over this but here goes. I’m really not trying to be an argumentative [ Arschloch] so that not the point to my response.

I made it clear I thought it was a bad play call so I won’t go there.

As for Shawn he’d have been better off tucking it and running than throwing that pass. Watch the film the safety that picked it was already in a dead sprint to the middle of the field (his assignment on the play) before Shawn ever completed his drop. Davis beat a corner and only one of the two safeties. The interceptor was the deep safety on the play. He was the 3deep player and he was absolutely not beaten by Davis. He was the high safety coming over in a dead sprint before the ball even left SRs hand. By wrong spot I mean that The pass is actually thrown back towards the middle of the field. Instead of leading the receiver away from the deep safety he led him right to him. There was a lot wrong with the execution of that play. I beg you to watch the play and stop it just before SR finishes his drop. Look at the high safety and tell me he isnt already headed right to the deep middle of the field before Shawn ever plants for the throw.

Again I’m only responding because your the kind of guy who like to talk the technical part of the game. I like it to and it’s a Monday.

Eight

Elliott, McDermott, Bolisomi?

So 5 out of the ten started multiple games or have had significant PT, that is not a bad hit rate for any position.

where did you get 5 of the 10 have started multiple games or seen significant time?

elliott coming into this season has played in 15 games in 3 years missing time in 2016 and 2017 with injuries.

mcdermott-vai coming into this season has played in 7 game and did not have any game action in 2017

bolisomi played coming into this season has played in 5 games for his career.

so prior to this season those 3 have been on the roster for 118 games and due to multiple injuries etc..... the were in a combined 27 games and that isn't an issue?

CryptoMiner

Yeah those clips Matt Jennings posted on his Twitter were extremely telling. There’s been a lot of complaints about QB play and OC play calling, but it’s clear as day from watching those clips that this team has a bigger problem.

First clip an obvious breakdown but not sure if it was a bad recognition or if unprepared for. They made adjustments at halftime so assume it surprised the coaches also.

On 2nd, OL was supposed to block inside as he did but snap handled poorly and late handoff meant back did not have time to get around DE as expected. Not a terrible snap but not the best.

3. 4+ seconds to throw that, not OL problem

4. As stated looks really good, nice pocket and SR had clear options

CryptoMiner

where did you get 5 of the 10 have started multiple games or seen significant time?

elliott coming into this season has played in 15 games in 3 years missing time in 2016 and 2017 with injuries.

mcdermott-vai coming into this season has played in 7 game and did not have any game action in 2017

so prior to this season those 3 have been on the roster for 118 games and due to multiple injuries etc..... the were in a combined 27 games and that isn't an issue?

Elliott started the first 2 games this season,

Bolisomi has had injury issues but has played significantly this year, we are talk about this year's OL right?

Same for McDermoott Vai but all three have played in every game this season.

Eight

davis is running past the safety and i will take that foot race any day of the week and in regards to the throw there is absolutely no way to prove or disprove the throw was in the wrong spot because shawn was hit when he made the throw.

this isn't the case of the 2 interceptions against texas. this was shawn was hit and that directly impacted the result of the play.

in regards to whether he should have even made the throw or not the play is there if the protection holds up

Wexahu

Not sure anyone is saying it isn't an issue. But other teams deal with playing inexperienced players all the time, and sometimes it comes across as just making excuses for bad play. As for Elliott, i don't think a guy who's been in the program 3+ years and has played in 15 games coming into the season is all that inexperienced. I think more than anything it's recruiting misses and plain old lack of development from this group. If they missing as many assignments as it appears they are, at some point the coaching should probably be questioned as well. Is Thomsen a really good OL coach or is he just the guy who replaced the guy everyone thought was terrible?

FrogLifeYo

Not sure anyone is saying it isn't an issue. But other teams deal with playing inexperienced players all the time, and sometimes it comes across as just making excuses for bad play. As for Elliott, i don't think a guy who's been in the program 3+ years and has played in 15 games coming into the season is all that inexperienced. I think more than anything it's recruiting misses and plain old lack of development from this group. If they missing as many assignments as it appears they are, at some point the coaching should probably be questioned as well. Is Thomsen a really good OL coach or is he just the guy who replaced the guy everyone thought was terrible?
As it relates to Thomsen I’d say there’s not enough data..I personally believe he’s a big upgrade but that’s my gut and meaningless. If indeed recruiting and development is as questionable as some have said then he’s doing a hell of a job getting them to play at their current standard given his short time on the job. Lineman don’t hit the field as underclassman very often

Wexahu

As it relates to Thomsen I’d say there’s not enough data..I personally believe he’s a big upgrade but that’s my gut and meaningless. If indeed recruiting and development is as questionable as some have said then he’s doing a hell of a job getting them to play at their current standard given his short time on the job. Lineman don’t hit the field as underclassman very often

I thought for the most part we had pretty good line play from 2012-2017. Sure, some years weren't as good as others but overall I thought it was pretty good, and we had some similarly inexperienced lines during that time too. And I can't really recall who was the OL coach for all those years other than Anderson for at least a couple. Point is, that coach didn't do a poor job IMO.

Uncle_Frog

no, the fumble saturday night was byproduct of a pass rusher being turned loose so i am not exactly sure how that has nothing to do with the offensive line.

on the intercepted shovel pass please tell me again why that defensive end was able to intercept the pass if he was being blocked. that play in so many ways encapsulates the problems this offense has had this year. shawn made a bad decision, but as bad as the decision was so was the execution in the offensive line that basically blocked no one on that play, as well as a poor play call.

somehow you on multiple threads have expressed that if this team doesn't have the turnovers it is a much different year which is basically cherry picking moments when this team has made multiple errors that cost it during the ohio state game, the texas game, and the hurt things in the iowa state game
Cherry picking moments? You mean turnovers? Our QB is tied for 124th in FBS in INTs throw, and 126th in total turnovers. Those are not cherry-picked plays as they are for the season to this point. Quoting stats is not being a hater or cherry-picking, it's bringing facts into the discussion.

I actually like Shawn and think his injury could be a big problem for 2019 if Collins isn't up to par as Shawn needs the reps right now. Shawn throws a pretty ball, is a fantastic athlete, and I love his demeanor on the field as he really doesn't get rattled. He seems to play focused and is always upbeat. You can't coach that and I love that about him. I think he will get better with time but he does make more mistakes than he should. You can like an athlete and their upside while not being a fan of their recent production.

Our O Line can absolutely play better (I agree that the unit was not good against Iowa State) and losing Cordel was a big blow. I would say they have been average to this point. They might be the biggest issue going forward if we don't get some pieces back, but that unit hasn't been the biggest issue to this point in my opinion.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this.

4th. down

In '14, 15 and 16, we signed 11 offensive linemen and 2 dropped out of school for a net of 9 on campus now and active. Thomsen came into the program in Feb. '17 so these are not his recruits. Given some realistic time, Thomsen will recruit his type of lineman (McKinney, Lanz, Burnette, Avila, Dike, White, and '19 commits Coker, Brown, and Williams so far).

I believe most of us think Thomsen is doing all he can with what he has to work with but the future looks promising with the '18 commits and who we have so far for '19. For the '19 season we will have 13 offensive linemen that are RS or higher that Thomsen will be working with, not including the '19 recruiting class. An uptrend is in the making.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
@Eight

QJWAc3J.jpg

Tumbleweed

in theory yes froglifeyo, but zone requires the line moving in co-ordination with each other and everyone recognizing the front the same so the linemen all know who is responsible for whom.

if this was the same group for the fifth straight game that works, but this was basically the fourth line-up in 5 games and as some have pointed out this string of ohio state, texas, and iowa state was not exactly a great 3-game stretch for an offensive line that is struggling with injuries and inexperience.

does anyone know if the quarterback or a designated offensive lineman make the pass protection calls in the tcu offense?

Understand the center is a pretty bright young man but is so green in experience. In the past it's always been the center. I don't have the confidence to say he is the one.
Good question eight , I too would like to know. btw: enjoy ur input eight.

One more concerning tackling. It's not very good but if you look at the tape, these kids take the wrong angles multiple times and are a half step behind. Appears to be a lot of pressure on these kids right now. They...... do have some talent on this team that's for sure.

Eight

you do understand that no other position on the field requires the degree of physical and mental co-ordination that is required in the offensive line.

the group has to not only see the very same thing the fronts and recognize what is taking place be

your just mad because i beat the filters

Eight

Cherry picking moments? You mean turnovers? Our QB is tied for 124th in FBS in INTs throw, and 126th in total turnovers. Those are not cherry-picked plays as they are for the season to this point. Quoting stats is not being a hater or cherry-picking, it's bringing facts into the discussion.

I actually like Shawn and think his injury could be a big problem for 2019 if Collins isn't up to par as Shawn needs the reps right now. Shawn throws a pretty ball, is a fantastic athlete, and I love his demeanor on the field as he really doesn't get rattled. He seems to play focused and is always upbeat. You can't coach that and I love that about him. I think he will get better with time but he does make more mistakes than he should. You can like an athlete and their upside while not being a fan of their recent production.

Our O Line can absolutely play better (I agree that the unit was not good against Iowa State) and losing Cordel was a big blow. I would say they have been average to this point. They might be the biggest issue going forward if we don't get some pieces back, but that unit hasn't been the biggest issue to this point in my opinion.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this.

you acuse me of cherry picking and lay the losses at the feet of robinson with the turnovers.

conveniently forgetting the multiple mistakes made in those losses such as turpin throwing a forward lateral on the kick return after ohio state regained the lead.

how about the dropped pass on the crossing route by turpin on the series before the collapse.

what about the hold on the first series that took points off the board? huh, maybe there were more mistakes than the turnovers in that game as well as the texas game and the iowa state game

no one is saying you should be happy with shawns mistakes and the there is nothing wrong in saying his mistakes are hurting this offense, but they have struggled to score points and taken point off the board against three good defenses and to say it is primarily because of shawn's play is just wrong.