• The KillerFrogs

you can't build an offense without a foundation and that is the offensive line

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
your just mad because i beat the filters
Mad? Moi? No. If I were mad...

oprah-ban.gif

Eight

First clip an obvious breakdown but not sure if it was a bad recognition or if unprepared for. They made adjustments at halftime so assume it surprised the coaches also.

On 2nd, OL was supposed to block inside as he did but snap handled poorly and late handoff meant back did not have time to get around DE as expected. Not a terrible snap but not the best.

3. 4+ seconds to throw that, not OL problem

4. As stated looks really good, nice pocket and SR had clear options
First clip an obvious breakdown but not sure if it was a bad recognition or if unprepared for. They made adjustments at halftime so assume it surprised the coaches also.

On 2nd, OL was supposed to block inside as he did but snap handled poorly and late handoff meant back did not have time to get around DE as expected. Not a terrible snap but not the best.

3. 4+ seconds to throw that, not OL problem

4. As stated looks really good, nice pocket and SR had clear options

the first two are most likely communication issues and goes back to my point of playing 4 different lines in 5 games. that is an huge issue in regards to communication and gets magnified when you have a number of guys with limited actual game time

#3 seriously, this isn't bull riding where you only have to go for a certain time. that isn't jj watt, one of the schobel's, suh, or insert your favorite college dominant defensive lineman. asking 2 offensive linemen to hold 1 defensive linemen for just a a half a count longer is not only not unheard of, but i would bet if you asked wc nix it is what is expected on that play.

Eight

Not sure anyone is saying it isn't an issue. But other teams deal with playing inexperienced players all the time, and sometimes it comes across as just making excuses for bad play. As for Elliott, i don't think a guy who's been in the program 3+ years and has played in 15 games coming into the season is all that inexperienced. I think more than anything it's recruiting misses and plain old lack of development from this group. If they missing as many assignments as it appears they are, at some point the coaching should probably be questioned as well. Is Thomsen a really good OL coach or is he just the guy who replaced the guy everyone thought was terrible?

show me another team that has played 4 different offensive lines in 5 games including 4 different right guards and been effective this year so far.

yes, a guy playing in just over a year's time of games in 4 season is inexperienced when he has missed extensive time due to injuries. it isn't simply the games missed, but also the practices and elliott, david, and mcdermott-vai have missed almost 6 years of playing time due to a variety of injuries.

this isn't the matrix where ct can simply download the information directly into the brains of his offensive linemen and they are ready to roll. no other position requires the physical and mental co-ordination among all 5 members each play and that is something that requires real time experience to develop.

i would love to hear wc talk about this some time on the pod cast because i truly don't believe some here recognize the difficulty in building chemistry in an offensive line when you are continually shuffling bodies.

Eight

Understand the center is a pretty bright young man but is so green in experience. In the past it's always been the center. I don't have the confidence to say he is the one.
Good question eight , I too would like to know. btw: enjoy ur input eight.

One more concerning tackling. It's not very good but if you look at the tape, these kids take the wrong angles multiple times and are a half step behind. Appears to be a lot of pressure on these kids right now. They...... do have some talent on this team that's for sure.

i am not sure what has happened but this team does not tackle like it did when it first joined the big 12.

some will point to the emphasis on the finesse offense, but washington runs a similar offense and their secondary will lock your ass up and take you to the ground

FrogLifeYo

I think we all would admit that our line play has been average at best and there is some pretty good reasons for their mediocrity. When I was a high school football coach I had a older gentleman who I considered a mentor..he would always say.

“Running the ball and stopping the run is like penicillin to hooker, it covers up the sickness and quiets the desperation”

Until we can effectively lean on the run game we are all going to be way to preoccupied with the QB and the OC around here..Want to know how to “fix” Robinson?...Give him a run game he can trust when times get tough...

CryptoMiner

#3 seriously, this isn't bull riding where you only have to go for a certain time. that isn't jj watt, one of the schobel's, suh, or insert your favorite college dominant defensive lineman. asking 2 offensive linemen to hold 1 defensive linemen for just a a half a count longer is not only not unheard of, but i would bet if you asked wc nix it is what is expected on that play.

What the heck are you rambling on about? You don't think coaches drill QBs and punters on having a clock in their head?

HS QBs even use a 4 second count. SR had plenty of time to get the throw off which is what you are missing. He wasn't under pressure and launched a moon shot into triple coverage and yet you want to blame the OL on that play. Ask Patrick Batteaux what he would expect.

CryptoMiner

the first two are most likely communication issues and goes back to my point of playing 4 different lines in 5 games. that is an huge issue in regards to communication and gets magnified when you have a number of guys with limited actual game time

Wrong, they weren't even recognizing the stunt, communication wasn't the issue, preparation was. They fixed the problem after halftime.

Eight

Wrong, they weren't even recognizing the stunt, communication wasn't the issue, preparation was. They fixed the problem after halftime.

just curious how you know it was a matter of not recognizing the stunt instead of you get him, no i thought you had him

Eight

What the heck are you rambling on about? You don't think coaches drill QBs and punters on having a clock in their head?

HS QBs even use a 4 second count. SR had plenty of time to get the throw off which is what you are missing. He wasn't under pressure and launched a moon shot into triple coverage and yet you want to blame the OL on that play. Ask Patrick Batteaux what he would expect.

qb's and punters?

you are comparing a punter with a quarterback waiting for davis to clear the safety.

it was a moon shot because he got hit, davis had run past the first two defensive backs and was clearing the third.

there is a variety of people who can share some blame on the play and the fact you keep going back to the 4 seconds has me curious if you or a family member where the offensive lineman

4th. down

Well really as Shawn saw the play developing, it wasn't triple coverage as he was beginning to release the ball. That other safety was coming fast (Small, where are you) and at the end of the play it was triple coverage. But just to think that Shawn has that kind of power to throw the ball 50 yds., on target off his back foot, just wow.

PO Frog

I thought for the most part we had pretty good line play from 2012-2017. Sure, some years weren't as good as others but overall I thought it was pretty good, and we had some similarly inexperienced lines during that time too. And I can't really recall who was the OL coach for all those years other than Anderson for at least a couple. Point is, that coach didn't do a poor job IMO.
You must not have watched 2013. I spent a lot of time watching replays and focusing just on the OL (everything about that “offense” was awful) and we had many plays in which multiple lineman never even made contact with a player on the opposing team. It was not good at all and could not have possibly been entirely due to talent or lack thereof. I had some great gifs saved at the time because it was so bad it was comical. See if you can find the Tech game for the rock bottom. Woof.

CryptoMiner

just curious how you know it was a matter of not recognizing the stunt instead of you get him, no i thought you had him

What makes you think they recognized the play but then went into "you get him, no I thought you had him?"

They were doing all sorts of stunts which confused the OL at first. It was corrected so that tells me it was a surprise to the coaches as opposed to clarifying who had whom. Not sure how you even derive a comm error on that,

CryptoMiner

qb's and punters?

you are comparing a punter with a quarterback waiting for davis to clear the safety.

it was a moon shot because he got hit, davis had run past the first two defensive backs and was clearing the third.

there is a variety of people who can share some blame on the play and the fact you keep going back to the 4 seconds has me curious if you or a family member where the offensive lineman

What, are you just jumbling words to try and justify your POV?

You are conflating SRs ability to read the over the top safety issues with OL issues. What the hell does anything you just wrote relate to the OL play, he had time to release a moon shot.

Eight

What makes you think they recognized the play but then went into "you get him, no I thought you had him?"

They were doing all sorts of stunts which confused the OL at first. It was corrected so that tells me it was a surprise to the coaches as opposed to clarifying who had whom. Not sure how you even derive a comm error on that,

not knowing how tcu calls protections, who makes the calls to slide protection, who identifies defenders in the front etc. i would have to guess that somewhere, sometime one offensive lineman is talking to another near him or they are all presuming they are seeing the very same thing which is a bigger guess than i made because the only thing at stake in my guess is confirming i am an ass which i said long ago as opposed to turning a defender loose as what happened a few times