• The KillerFrogs

Will A&M trigger the next reallignment explosion

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
And how about that kid who records the game, getting home that night, watching it again and again, seeing the Coach Butterteeth commercials at each break, then having that game replay 2-3 times the following week, all the while getting UT propaganda during each show.

How long do you think before the "Lone Star Recruiting Show" lead by big fat Ketchum starts, conveniently aired right after the high-school game of the week? And who will the announcers be for these games? Any chance they'll be well known Longhorns? Think there will be any games televised that don't have a UT recruit involved? How long before some assistant says to a kid during his junior year "maybe we'll have to consider showcasing your highschool this fall on the Longhorn Channel"?

It just goes on and on. I can't possibly see how this channel isn't just a 24 hour recruiting tool for UT. It saddens me what college sports has become and I hate that we allow our "bell cow" school to get away with as much as they do.

The only silver lining is that even with all these advantages, Championships will likely still come once every 40 years down in Austin.

No question and think it is a bigger problem for OU, Tech, etc than TCU. UT already kicks our butt (as well as just about anyone else in the area). I know there were some serious shockwaves being felt when it became apparent Gray was going to UT, a lot of people felt he was almost a lock for TCU until the UT recruiting machine kicked in.

I guess they will get 25 out of the top 25 instead of 20 in the future, but man the NCAA really needs to look at this crap. Even ESPN has to seriously consider what they are doing. What kind of audience will there be if only a few programs can compete in the future?

YCBJ Frog

Supposedly the SEC was ready to extend a formal offer, but never heard from TAMU that they would accept so they didn't extend it. This happened because the new big XII deal happened in the interim. I've also heard Mizzou tried to partner with them and the SEC wanted OU and would've taken OSU to get them. Mizzou apparently freaked out when the Big 10 took Nebraska and not them. I still think that any combination of 4 from Texas, Texas A&M, OU, OSU, Mizzou, North Carolina, Florida State, and Virginia Tech are the SECs targets in this. I hope they go for westward expansion and not eastward, because eastward will gut the BEast as a consequence and West will give it some new top members.

AggieFrog

A&M could have gone to the SEC last year (and the administration hasn't heard the end of it yet with the Former Students - the vast majority were quite upset that we didn't go). A&M stayed in the Big 12 Lite for 3 Reasons:

1. Money roughly equal to the current SEC deal
  2. Easier competition (no doubt the SEC is a much better conference, but they did not see a reason to play in a tougher conference for the same money)
  3. The Texas Legislative session was about to begin = you don't rock the boat when the state is about to determine your budget for the next two years
By all accounts, the A&M brass thought we would have a few years to let the new alignment shake out before Texas' greed led to conference games on their network. Now they're being forced to react.

BTW - there are rumors of a possible huge donation coming to the athletic department from a former student in the neighborhood of $100-150M with a contingency that A&M move to the SEC.

Personally, I'd love to see the Big 12 Lite implode so I hope it's all true. Even if not, it's at least something to talk about until fall camp.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
A&M could have gone to the SEC last year (and the administration hasn't heard the end of it yet with the Former Students - the vast majority were quite upset that we didn't go). A&M stayed in the Big 12 Lite for 3 Reasons:

1. Money roughly equal to the current SEC deal
  2. Easier competition (no doubt the SEC is a much better conference, but they did not see a reason to play in a tougher conference for the same money)
  3. The Texas Legislative session was about to begin = you don't rock the boat when the state is about to determine your budget for the next two years
By all accounts, the A&M brass thought we would have a few years to let the new alignment shake out before Texas' greed led to conference games on their network. Now they're being forced to react.

BTW - there are rumors of a possible huge donation coming to the athletic department from a former student in the neighborhood of $100-150M with a contingency that A&M move to the SEC.

Personally, I'd love to see the Big 12 Lite implode so I hope it's all true. Even if not, it's at least something to talk about until fall camp.

I have seen Aggies actually hopping from side to side in rage at the missed opportunity of the SEC. Sort of silly looking, really...

A "huge donation" would be a powerful incentive for them to move, but whoever is writing the check better wait until the paperwork is signed before handing the check over to A&M.

Oh, to see the BigXII-II collapse! The wailing! The gnashing of teeth! The old TCU love of schadenfruede is still strong...

Planks

There is no scenario that exists in which the Big East exists but the Big 12 doesn't. The collapse of the Big 12 means the beginning of Superconferences, which means the Big East will be raided and destroyed in order to create these Superconferences.

As much as it sucks to admit, the Big 12's existence is the only thing keeping the Big East alive. That means that TCU's AQ status is contingent on there being a Big 12. As a TCU fan, I am strongly rooting AGAINST the collapse of the Bog 12.

YA

I can see occasionally rocking a bow-tie at a wedding or something, but being "that guy" who is known as being the bow-tie guy is a little weird IMO.
It has been my experience that folks that consistently wear bow-ties are not trustworthy.

Houston Frog

It has been my experience that folks that consistently wear bow-ties are not trustworthy.

So we can go ahead and add "people who consistently wear bow-ties" to the list of non-trustworthy individuals?

- Women with a dagger tattoo on their forearm
- Men who have the same first name as a city
- Guys who consistently wear bow-ties
- People with two first names
- Men who order their steak well-done

Anyone else?

mrnicefrog

So we can go ahead and add "people who consistently wear bow-ties" to the list of non-trustworthy individuals?

Anyone else?

Women with unusually high heels.
Men wearing a pinky ring.

bumblebeetuna

Anyone else?

-Vegetarians
-Mormons

JimSwinkLives!

Anyone else?

1) Never get involved with a woman like that.
2) Never play cards with a guy like that.
3) Never get less than twelve hours of sleep.

You follow those three rules, and everything else is cream cheese.

Houston Frog

1) Never get involved with a woman like that.
2) Never play cards with a guy like that.
3) Never get less than twelve hours of sleep.

You follow those three rules, and everything else is cream cheese.

finstock.jpg

JimSwinkLives!

finstock.jpg

Coach Finstock: Look Scotty, I know what you're going through. Couple years back, a kid came to me much the same way you're coming to me now, saying the same thing that you're saying. He wanted to drop off the team. His mother was a widow, all crippled up. She was scrubbing floors. She had this pin in her hip. So he wanted to drop basketball and get a job. Now these were poor people, these were hungry people with real problems. Understand what I'm saying?

Scott Howard: What happened to the kid?

Coach Finstock: I don't know. He quit. He was a third stringer, I didn't need him.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog

Anyone else?

Guys with a middle name of Wayne.

cdsfrog

There is no scenario that exists in which the Big East exists but the Big 12 doesn't. The collapse of the Big 12 means the beginning of Superconferences, which means the Big East will be raided and destroyed in order to create these Superconferences.

As much as it sucks to admit, the Big 12's existence is the only thing keeping the Big East alive. That means that TCU's AQ status is contingent on there being a Big 12. As a TCU fan, I am strongly rooting AGAINST the collapse of the Bog 12.

I definitely disagree. Were the big 12 to disband Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri would left out in the cold. Scooping those 3 up would make the big east a solid football conference a legendary basketball conference.

mrnicefrog

I definitely disagree. Were the big 12 to disband Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri would left out in the cold. Scooping those 3 up would make the big east a solid football conference a legendary basketball conference.

I agree. If the big10 or SEC wanted Mizzou, they would have already taken them. Same witth the Kansas schools. So if the Big12 disbands, there will be shools available for the Big East to take.

And Baylor and Tech can go to the Sunbelt. :tongue:

PurplePutt

I'm on that band wagon too. While maybe not a great choice, ISU is out there too. They have had some pretty salty football teams in the past. Those 4 and someone else puts 14 in the BE and that is a much better number than 16.

Baylor would be begging to get an invite to the BE and TCU could black ball them for all the all the stupid Big 12 bragging they have done over the years.

I honestly don't know where Tech would go? Conference USA? :rolleyes:

cdsfrog

I'm on that band wagon too. While maybe not a great choice, ISU is out there too. They have had some pretty salty football teams in the past. Those 4 and someone else puts 14 in the BE and that is a much better number than 16.

Baylor would be begging to get an invite to the BE and TCU could black ball them for all the all the stupid Big 12 bragging they have done over the years.

I honestly don't know where Tech would go? Conference USA? :rolleyes:

hopefully the wac :laugh: