• The KillerFrogs

Will A&M trigger the next reallignment explosion

mrnicefrog

My aggie buddy & I were discussing this last weekend. Longhorn truck pulls up, puts banners all over the stadium, does the broadcast & interviews, etc.

Its Tigerprowl on steroids.

I can't wait to be at highschool game when this happens. I'll be the guy in the backgroud giving
the horns down sign with one hand and flipping the bird with the other. :tongue:

Stiff Arm Frog

I used to fear the chos that major realignments would bring. Now I welcome it. TCU is a diamond in the rough waiting to be gobbled up by someone big who notices. Don't see anything negative coming from SEC expansion or Big 12-2 breaking up. Only means better options than the BE for TCU or better options for BE expansion.

Well, to an extent. Just remember, it could just as easily be the Big 10 gobbling up Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgirs, etc., and the Big East disbanding. I never like the idea of chaos. I doubt it would end with an improvement for TCU.

mrnicefrog

Well, to an extent. Just remember, it could just as easily be the Big 10 gobbling up Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgirs, etc., and the Big East disbanding. I never like the idea of chaos. I doubt it would end with an improvement for TCU.

No offense to our new confernce mates, but if the Big 10 looks to expand, I don't think it raids the Big East. I think it would go to the ACC for Va Tech or UNC, or to the Big12 for Mizzou or Kansas.

InterestedObserver

My aggie buddy & I were discussing this last weekend. Longhorn truck pulls up, puts banners all over the stadium, does the broadcast & interviews, etc.

Its Tigerprowl on steroids.

And how about that kid who records the game, getting home that night, watching it again and again, seeing the Coach Butterteeth commercials at each break, then having that game replay 2-3 times the following week, all the while getting UT propaganda during each show.

How long do you think before the "Lone Star Recruiting Show" lead by big fat Ketchum starts, conveniently aired right after the high-school game of the week? And who will the announcers be for these games? Any chance they'll be well known Longhorns? Think there will be any games televised that don't have a UT recruit involved? How long before some assistant says to a kid during his junior year "maybe we'll have to consider showcasing your highschool this fall on the Longhorn Channel"?

It just goes on and on. I can't possibly see how this channel isn't just a 24 hour recruiting tool for UT. It saddens me what college sports has become and I hate that we allow our "bell cow" school to get away with as much as they do.

The only silver lining is that even with all these advantages, Championships will likely still come once every 40 years down in Austin.

helcap

As the old joke goes, if the Aggies leave the Big XII for the SEC it would raise the average IQ in both conferences!

researchfrog

Whenever you see a guy walking around downtown (or whatever district you work in) wearing a bow-tie, what do you instantly think to yourself? For me it's....

"Look at this d-head trying to be 'the bow-tie guy' in his office"'

I guess that's one way to try and make a name for yourself

Bowties are cool!

11th_doctor_1222.jpg

SnoSki

Yeah I have a hard time believing that the Longhorn network is 100% ok rules-wise. Maybe I am just mistaken but it would seem to me that having a university-specific national television network broadcasting from your game is getting awfully close to boosters crossing the line.

I mean if J Gray hadn't made up his mind yet, how much do you wanna bet that the Longhorns would do anything in their power to get a guy in burnt orange on national TV to interview him? To follow him around and talk to him about the greatness of UT?

In an age where the NCAA complains that some schools' media guides are too fancy, I find it hard to believe that a school-specific national TV station covering HS games is no problem.

I mean why don't we start a TCU network and broadcast games at the schools where we're after a recruit? Aledo, Brenham, Katy, Brownwood, LA, CA, FL, wherever?

HG73

No way the Ags had a "stand alone" offer from the SEC. SEC vs a watered down Big12? Nobody is that stupid, even Aggies. Their offer, if there was one, was conditioned on bringing UT or OU with them.

mtmedlin

If AtM goes, ya know Slive will pitch for OU and Texas. Texas has to take Tech and OU is tied to OKSt. The only thing not mentioned is the Big 10. THe SEC isnt the only one that will be interested and I doubt that Missou will ever be in the BE. I would love them but if the Pac12 or SEC goes to 16, the Big 10 will take a look at Missou and ATM....so will the SEC. Missou is a solid fit for both conferences and with little "good" inventory Missou will be a factor. (remember the Big 10 only will take AAU universities).
Also, as far as the SEC, If they can only get AtM and not Oklahoma, I can see them going after Virginia Tech. Their one of the only ACC teams that plays similar style and doesnt have overlapping market coverage. Fl State would piss off Florida but thats a very profitable rivalry and team. I would also be worried about losing West Virginia.