• The KillerFrogs

Why can’t TCU land an elite QB?

TCUdirtbag

Seems odd after all this success and all these recruits that there’s no elite QB. Morris is the only QB with credibility, and no one really knows what he can or cannot do. Would really suck to have all these talented guys, and not have a QB slinging the rock.
Sassy Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Endless Purple

Yes, why will TCU not open the check book to get whoever? Looks like this NIL deal isn’t going away so why not pay them? Thanks for your comment.
You do know that TCU can't pay any player, right?

I much prefer that Dykes and staff find players that fit their system, have good skills on the field and strong leadership off the field. Having boosters pay players that have huge egos and demand money over team, and will likely transfer the next year or two for more money, does not build a winning team. It only satisfies egos of some fans.

82 Frog Fever

@82 Frog Fever - Based on Sonny’s history with guys like Goff, Driskel, Buechele and Mordecai, I’d say Sonny and Riley adjusted to Max’s run ability. I could be wrong.
You’re not wrong. We’re both just spitballing.
TCU will do or change whatever they must given the talent they have at the time.
However they‘re still looking for ‘24 running QBs similar to Michael Hawkins who’s on campus today, so they‘re
looking to run a spread running offense.
if TCU lands one of these guys, Davila may start to wonder.

Briles offered this 2024 QB from Aledo on 1/27. He has great speed, a true dual-threat. Ran sophomore 100-meter times of 10.68, 10.83, and 10.96 in Spring 2022. He is only 5’11“ but 185 lb. A December scouting report is included in the 247 link.

He committed to Duke on 1/24 after a visit there. Duke had been recruiting him daily for 2 months and showed the most interest. He did mention he liked the Duke academics in addition to the rising football program and offensive scheme, so the national prestige of a Duke degree could be tough to beat.

Last edited:

What Up Toad

Briles offered this 2024 QB from Aledo on 1/27. He has great speed, a true dual-threat. Ran sophomore 100-meter times of 10.68, 10.83, and 10.96 in Spring 2022. He is only 5’11“ but 185 lb. A December scouting report is included in this link.

He committed to Duke on 1/24 after a visit there. Duke had been recruiting him daily for 2 months and showed the most interest.

If I remember correctly, both of his parents are TCU grads.

I did not know that. It could help.
One thing to note here on the timing is Hauss committed to Duke 3 days before TCU offered.
It’s very possible he could reconsider.
Yes, 2024 signing day is a long way out on the recruiting cycle but sounds like he loves Duke — very much likes the OC whom has him believing he is “their number one guy.” He also mentions the premier education of Duke will last a lifetime. Duke has that national prestige. His parents traveled with him for the visit. Meanwhile, TCU already has Davila in the 2024 class.

Last edited:

82 Frog Fever

Yes, 2024 signing day is a long way out still on the recruiting cycle, but sounds like he loves Duke — very much likes the OC who and has him believing he is their “number one guy,” and then the national prestige of the Duke degree. His parents traveled with him for the visit. Meanwhile, TCU already has Davila in the 2024 class.

I saw that, he was really excited about Duke.
Man he’s fast and has a build that looks like he could take a hit.
A 10.68 100m as a Soph., he could be our QB and kick returner. :>)

BleedNPurple

BTW Duggan as I recall was one of the top dual-threat QBs when we recruited and signed him. Did that make him elite? Maybe not, but I would take him any day, every day.
Many of us thought of him as elite QB and he panned out too. A lot of variables go into “Elite QB’s.” For one thing they need to be a rock star winner at the high school level usually- but there are exceptions to that too. I am too lazy to look up Tony Romo’s HS stats but he played at a small college and turned out to be elite. So there’s pedigree elite - Manning at UT who is anointed Elite, proven elite Andy Dalton and Max Duggin and Chandler Morris championships and state player of the year and then there’s players with all the tools that need to be polished and that are future elite. It takes years for most QB’s to develop at the D1 level - they all have potential but it takes so much work to bring an elite QB up to ready to play anyway regardless. Thus I can see so many NIL $$ going nowhere and this crazy notion that you can pay a high school kid more than an NFL player and truly anticipate whether they’ll turn into a great player or not this NIL will be one less and less of a factor as schools like A$M pay big bucks for kids that can’t even get them to a bowl game come into focus.

I trust our coaches to take our “non elite QB’s” and turn them into winning QB’s. I give development more credence than elite.

Double D

Tier 1
I thought this guy was an elite QB but didn't work out due to knee injury.

Also wasn't Shawn Robinson considered an elite QB coming out of high school?

I think TCU gets elite QBs.

Froggish

There are 130 FBS teams and generally less than 10 QBs considered elite in every cycle. In addition elite is really just eye of the beholder stuff. If I'm an OC running a pass pro offense did I score an elite QB by getting a 5 star dual threat? I suppose but he's most likely not going to fit my system. The point is that there are too many variables. TCU had 3QBs on this past years roster that were all rated 4 stars. About 100 other teams would have been pretty stoked to have that QB room.

Last edited:

BleedNPurple

I thought this guy was an elite QB but didn't work out due to knee injury.

Also wasn't Shawn Robinson considered an elite QB coming out of high school?

I think TCU gets elite QBs.
I think TCU has gotten their share of elite QB’s and the proof is what happens in the end. I’ll take winning QB’s over elite! They sound like 2 different definitions. Right now Manning at UT is an elite QB. Will he win games? Have no idea - right Pedigree and lots of NIL. If he turns into a back up QB then perhaps it’s the beginning of the end of the big bucks NIL.

abell2do

Well there ya go folks. Amazing season and TCU signed some REALLY good players except QB. After Duggan being a runner up, I would think QB would be lined up to play for Dykes. Well Morris doesn’t have any competition now, so hopefully he stays healthy and leads us to a great season.

LisaLT

Well there ya go folks. Amazing season and TCU signed some REALLY good players except QB. After Duggan being a runner up, I would think QB would be lined up to play for Dykes. Well Morris doesn’t have any competition now, so hopefully he stays healthy and leads us to a great season.
I'm most disappointed that they let Sam Jackson get away.

I have to believe someone will be signed at SOME point as a back up QB. Otherwise, we better have an EXCELLENT O line this season to protect Mr. Morris. I have a feeling he has been waiting for HIS time to shine. Let's hope and pray its this season and he makes it from start to finish.

ShreveFrog

Having a projected starter with potentially 4 years of eligibility has probably turned top portal transfers off, and probably led Jackson to split. Will bet TCU adds some qb depth after spring practice with the next round of transfers of guys seeing their paths blocked. As @Eight has pointed out, Hoover will get lots of reps this spring. Who knows? Maybe he develops into a quality backup or starter someday.
I'm excited about Davila arriving in 2024 to be developed.

Eight

long way to go until august and the portal will open back up after spring ball, but go ahead and either piss and moan or troll, but i will just wait and see

Last edited: