• ACC

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • AAC/Mountain West/Conference USA

Votes: 64 27.7%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Bizarro Frog

This gives the PAC a major invasion into the Central time slot. And some Eastern, due to early games. Go get Nebraska or Colorado State.
I recently read the article on ESPN about the demise of Nebraska. Their recruiting would be better if they had ties to TX and the West Coast. Don’t think they would move but they could use a re-boot.

I'd like to think we're a favorite to be added to Pac but I think the reality is that they won't make a move. I think the most likely scenario is the remaining Big 12 (6, probably) form a conference with the best of the leftovers. Boise, BYU, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, SDSU and UNLV would be potential targets. It would be WAC.0.

Bob Sugar

I'd like to think we're a favorite to be added to Pac but I think the reality is that they won't make a move. I think the most likely scenario is the remaining Big 12 (6, probably) form a conference with the best of the leftovers. Boise, BYU, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, SDSU and UNLV would be potential targets. It would be WAC.0.
The key would be strategic scheduling of OOC games and then winning most/all of them. If the top 6 or so teams in a new Big 12 (TCU, OSU, UCF, Boise, BYU, and maybe Baylor or Memphis could consistently win OOC games against SEC, Big 10 and PAC-12 schools, then the conference prestige would be fine. You'd also need at least 12, if not 14 schools, so that your top schools do not always have to play each other until the championship game, allowing everyone to pad their records like the SEC did the past decade.

LVH

The key would be strategic scheduling of OOC games and then winning most/all of them. If the top 6 or so teams in a new Big 12 (TCU, OSU, UCF, Boise, BYU, and maybe Baylor or Memphis could consistently win OOC games against SEC, Big 10 and PAC-12 schools, then the conference prestige would be fine. You'd also need at least 12, if not 14 schools, so that your top schools do not always have to play each other until the championship game, allowing everyone to pad their records like the SEC did the past decade.

You're assuming SEC, Big 10, etc. would even want to schedule non conference games against the watered down Big 12.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Adding AAC teams is no solution. We probably could have gotten away with that moving to 12 from 10, but adding 4 spares to 8 lightly regarded (by the Networks) teams doesn't cut it. There's a big clock ticking away that has 5 years left on it, and when the bells toll, we'd better be in a spot where we are still at the level we currently are and not slipped down the slope for convenience sake.

The PAC is really the only option, and that goes for both entities: The Rump BIGXII and PAC12. They're already dying, and they know it. A merger will revitalize and renew their fortunes, and save our bacon. Right now they're talking tough and all, but that is merely posturing.

cheese83

That article got it right.

I keep seeing all over this board how so many believe 64 teams is the magic number... TCU just needs to be one of those 64.

64 is not the magic number. The magic number is somewhere between 24 and 32.

You guys really think schools like Wake Forest and Washington State will survive this?

A 24-32 team college system is one of the dumbest ideas ever if that's where they're going with it. Why would they make a de facto minor league to the NFL and get rid of the pageantry along with what is about to be a massive money maker in the expanded playoff? The NFL has massive numbers compared to college football and their only chance at that would be a better and expanded playoff system. Or maybe I'm missing it and they just want to punt all CFB and cut their losses?

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

This is a good link, during the regular season the highest rated game was Clemson vs. ND and conf champ weekend Clemson vs. ND again (that's over Bama v UF). The SEC has strong numbers but matchups and slots seem to play a big role across the board no matter the conference. Everyone keeps talking though like the SEC just dominates every weekend and it doesn't appear to be the case. They do well but not good enough to just run the whole damn thing.

Eight

can't have a texas heavy conference, especially when tech is the biggest draw of the five and hell no to byu.

Eight

A 24-32 team college system is one of the dumbest ideas ever if that's where they're going with it. Why would they make a de facto minor league to the NFL and get rid of the pageantry along with what is about to be a massive money maker in the expanded playoff? The NFL has massive numbers compared to college football and their only chance at that would be a better and expanded playoff system. Or maybe I'm missing it and they just want to punt all CFB and cut their losses?

This is a good link, during the regular season the highest rated game was Clemson vs. ND and conf champ weekend Clemson vs. ND again (that's over Bama v UF). The SEC has strong numbers but matchups and slots seem to play a big role across the board no matter the conference. Everyone keeps talking though like the SEC just dominates every weekend and it doesn't appear to be the case. They do well but not good enough to just run the whole damn thing.

personally believe that espn has been desperate to buy a bigger share of the nfl broadcast and has been kept on the edges so they are going to create their own version that they can control.

as far as the schools they are grooming they don't give a [ Finebaum ] about pageantry, tradition, bowls, etc,,,it is egos and money. texas has been looking to get away from the perceived in state parasites since the 90's and arkansas wanted them to go to sec with them.

there is no real governing body over college football and espn has been exploiting this for decades. look at the complete [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] in the bcs and cfp. both nothing more than made for tv drama created to provide espn with more in season drama and draw more eyeballs

this is about hubris, power, and money and they don't care what will be altered. the thing is that even if you decide to boycott watching espn if you have cable, satellite, or most streaming services they are still getting paid via their excessive carriage fees

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

There is an old parable about a goose that lays golden eggs...

CountryFrog

When will we all learn the only thing anyone cares about now is $$$?
Kansas makes a lot of money for themselves with their basketball program but tv rights are what bring money into the conference and that's driven by football.

I'd love to see the money that their basketball program actually generates for the conference but I'm guessing it's not a ton because they were an eyelash away from being MWC members 12 years ago when it looked like all those Big 12 schools were going to the former PAC-10.

Mean Purple

Kansas makes a lot of money for themselves with their basketball program but tv rights are what bring money into the conference and that's driven by football.

I'd love to see the money that their basketball program actually generates for the conference but I'm guessing it's not a ton because they were an eyelash away from being MWC members 12 years ago when it looked like all those Big 12 schools were going to the former PAC-10.
And tourney dollars get soaked up by the NCAA. The dance is one of their key funding tools.

cheese83

personally believe that espn has been desperate to buy a bigger share of the nfl broadcast and has been kept on the edges so they are going to create their own version that they can control.

as far as the schools they are grooming they don't give a [ #2020 ] about pageantry, tradition, bowls, etc,,,it is egos and money. texas has been looking to get away from the perceived in state parasites since the 90's and arkansas wanted them to go to sec with them.

there is no real governing body over college football and espn has been exploiting this for decades. look at the complete [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] in the bcs and cfp. both nothing more than made for tv drama created to provide espn with more in season drama and draw more eyeballs

this is about hubris, power, and money and they don't care what will be altered. the thing is that even if you decide to boycott watching espn if you have cable, satellite, or most streaming services they are still getting paid via their excessive carriage fees

The NFL numbers crush college, that's quite a move they're making if they want to chase the NFL money with their own league. Good luck to whoever came up with that idea at ESPN, I'm guessing his career won't last very long.

Eight

The NFL numbers crush college, that's quite a move they're making if they want to chase the NFL money with their own league. Good luck to whoever came up with that idea at ESPN, I'm guessing his career won't last very long.

this is the same network that pictured mike greenberg an anchor and dan orlosky, the man who ran out of the endzone during a game, a football expert

do you really think it is stretch to think they can manipulate college football into an nfl type product.

hell, they have convinced people that all those bcs and cfp ratings up to the final one actually scheissing matter