• ACC

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • AAC/Mountain West/Conference USA

Votes: 64 27.7%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Big Frog II

Right now I don't think anyone knows how this will end except, Texas and Oklahoma are as good as gone. Can the remaining 8 stay together? I doubt it. Will the Pac12 or ACC lose schools? Possible. I doubt this gets solved anytime soon. Just hope that Texas and Oklahoma stay the next two seasons to allow us some extra time to get things worked out. Again, I really hate what has become of college athletics. Regardless, we must continue to adapt to survive.

LVH

Right now I don't think anyone knows how this will end except, Texas and Oklahoma are as good as gone. Can the remaining 8 stay together? I doubt it. Will the Pac12 or ACC lose schools? Possible. I doubt this gets solved anytime soon. Just hope that Texas and Oklahoma stay the next two seasons to allow us some extra time to get things worked out. Again, I really hate what has become of college athletics. Regardless, we must continue to adapt to survive.

It's not hard at all to see where this is going - a college "premiere league" of the top 24 to 32 schools. Once you realize that is the end game, it all makes sense, and why if we were to join the Pac 12, it would be meaningless

tcufootballjh98

It's not hard at all to see where this is going - a college "premiere league" of the top 24 to 32 schools. Once you realize that is the end game, it all makes sense, and why if we were to join the Pac 12, it would be meaningless

How would they determine membership in this hypothetical league? The assumption is Texas would be a member after the last 10 years of mediocrity? If this materializes, I would expect plenty of legal challenges from those who are more deserving of inclusion.

flyfishingfrog

How would they determine membership in this hypothetical league? The assumption is Texas would be a member after the last 10 years of mediocrity? If this materializes, I would expect plenty of legal challenges from those who are more deserving of inclusion.
The TV networks will tell them who is in based on who they are willing to pay for….in fact my understanding is two major networks basically have already done this

find it funny that anyone thinks how well you have played in the recent past has a thing to do with it

what school exactly has a valid argument they bring more viewers to a game than Texas? And thus more ad money for the broadcast

And who are you going to sue and for what? Your school not being big enough for inclusion?

flyfishingfrog

The one thing about merging would be it will create one of the better tier 2 leagues - the other top tier 2 being whatever happens to the rest of the ACC after Clemson bails and if the B1G and SEC have the balls to kick out the Vandys and Northwesterns of the world

Frozen Frog

If it is moving to 32-48 teams I am not sure I want TCU to be a part of it. The financial windfall would be great, but the financial costs would likely be far greater. All of these moves could come down to who has the biggest pocketbook, and the smaller ones might not survive. There are already concerns about schools going under financially. This could only make it worse.

TCU's best hope is the Big Ten doesn't grab Notre Lame or another ACC team. They are the big fish, but so far they have remained steady. No school is going to leave the SEC or Big Ten for the ACC! WVU is probably has the fewest options, but it may be in the best position for a new conference. The ACC in its current state is most likely. If AAU is not an issue as some are asking with the Big Ten then that could be a possibility. If Mizzou goes to the Big Ten then the SEC might look at WVU. Away from having 2 full openings going west is tough on the ACC.

All of that being said of the western 7 remaining schools in the Big 12 if any 2 of the big state schools join the SEC or Big Ten likely opens the door for TCU. I still think the Pac takes TCU. TCU may not deliver the DFW or Texas TV market, but presence in DFW for alumni and recruiting is desirable.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The TV networks will tell them who is in based on who they are willing to pay for….in fact my understanding is two major networks basically have already done this

find it funny that anyone thinks how well you have played in the recent past has a thing to do with it

what school exactly has a valid argument they bring more viewers to a game than Texas? And thus more ad money for the broadcast

And who are you going to sue and for what? Your school not being big enough for inclusion?
Cynical, and probably right on target.

BrewingFrog

Well I look at like this - if the NFL had a chance to start over - would Green Bay have a franchise?

And why does the NFL keep trying so hard to get a team(s) in LA?
Because the TV people are imbeciles?

The NFL can't draw flies in LA. The denizens of that place actually enjoyed not having a team, because then the ridiculous NFL blackout rules didn't apply and they could watch the better matchups.

It's really about the approach of the new sociopaths that run TV and Media in general. There is no such thing as tradition, or history. Only here, and now. It's the Atlantic City* approach to each and every event or sport they get control of. As of a few days ago, they now control College Football completely, having broken the last traditional, regional ties to population and viewership. Moving forward, it will simply be an anodyne, flavorless exercise lamely spiced up by increasingly moronic announcers and more commercials.

*Dennis Leary once ranted: "There's two ways of doing this, the Las Vegas way, and the Atlantic City way. Vegas is like, 'C'mon out! Have some fun! Spend some money!' Atlantic City is 'Screw you! Give us your money!'"

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
what does "lib" have to do with anything?

When younger, I travelled all over the world 3 times.
For the last 15 years we have travelled the U.S. every month for our pleasure and entertainment.
Constant trips. Golf trips, fishing trips, Wine trips, Food trips, Concerts..........

Then all the LIBERAL [ Finebaum ] started in Oregon, New York, Washington, Chicago, DC, Massachusetts, California, etc., etc...

I have refused to support any of these LIB [ Finebaum ] hole states/cities with my tourism money since- because they lie and spin and destroy their own cities and our country for some BS Narratives. "White Rage...... what a bunch of [ Finebaum ]!!!"

It's not that hard too understand if you read my entire post........unless you've been living on a toadstool somewhere, or you're a LIB

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Because the TV people are imbeciles?

The NFL can't draw flies in LA. The denizens of that place actually enjoyed not having a team, because then the ridiculous NFL blackout rules didn't apply and they could watch the better matchups.

It's really about the approach of the new sociopaths that run TV and Media in general. There is no such thing as tradition, or history. Only here, and now. It's the Atlantic City* approach to each and every event or sport they get control of. As of a few days ago, they now control College Football completely, having broken the last traditional, regional ties to population and viewership. Moving forward, it will simply be an anodyne, flavorless exercise lamely spiced up by increasingly moronic announcers and more commercials.

*Dennis Leary once ranted: "There's two ways of doing this, the Las Vegas way, and the Atlantic City way. Vegas is like, 'C'mon out! Have some fun! Spend some money!' Atlantic City is 'Screw you! Give us your money!'"
Pretty much - which is why this move by OU/Texas truly is the end of college football

this isn’t a mid to bottom dweller leaving the B12 for “greener” pastures - this is two teams that control our conference leaving to begin to form a league of elites to get away from those of us they see as inferior - not on the field but in overall structure

the game is not about wins and losses at any levels anymore - it is about dollars and cents to the
Schools and now the players- and it’s going to be worse than the NFL since they had decades to adjust with concepts like salary caps, the draft, free and restrictive free agency, contracts

none of which college has in place

After 2025 college athletics will begin to crumble away quickly as football stops being able or willing to fund everything else

BrewingFrog

Pretty much - which is why this move by OU/Texas truly is the end of college football

this isn’t a mid to bottom dweller leaving the B12 for “greener” pastures - this is two teams that control our conference leaving to begin to form a league of elites to get away from those of us they see as inferior - not on the field but in overall structure

the game is not about wins and losses at any levels anymore - it is about dollars and cents to the
Schools and now the players- and it’s going to be worse than the NFL since they had decades to adjust with concepts like salary caps, the draft, free and restrictive free agency, contracts

none of which college has in place

After 2025 college athletics will begin to crumble away quickly as football stops being able or willing to fund everything else
The thing I cannot understand in this matter, and I touched on this yesterday, is the literal giving up of their control over their fortunes this move represents.

As you say, UT ruled the BIGXII and had since DeLoss Dodds cobbled it together lo these many years ago. Even with 10 members, and an uncertain landscape before us, the BIGXII was a viable and valuable property, and UT called all the shots within and without. Now, they are on the fringe of the heartland of the SEC, and facing far more capable Programs than they have been losing to in the BIGXII. They do not control the layout of Divisions, or get to put a thumb on the scales of Conference decisions like they used to. They are now a very junior partner, and not the Grand Poo-Bah.

Is all that money (theoretically) worth the loss of self-determination and influence?

tcufootballjh98

The thing I cannot understand in this matter, and I touched on this yesterday, is the literal giving up of their control over their fortunes this move represents.

As you say, UT ruled the BIGXII and had since DeLoss Dodds cobbled it together lo these many years ago. Even with 10 members, and an uncertain landscape before us, the BIGXII was a viable and valuable property, and UT called all the shots within and without. Now, they are on the fringe of the heartland of the SEC, and facing far more capable Programs than they have been losing to in the BIGXII. They do not control the layout of Divisions, or get to put a thumb on the scales of Conference decisions like they used to. They are now a very junior partner, and not the Grand Poo-Bah.

Is all that money (theoretically) worth the loss of self-determination and influence?

You underestimate how delusional Texas has become. They truly believe they can compete for SEC championships after going .500 in Big-12 play over the last decade.

Eight

For the last 15 years we have travelled the U.S. every month for our pleasure and entertainment.
Constant trips. Golf trips, fishing trips, Wine trips, Food trips, Concerts..........

Then all the LIBERAL [ #2020 ] started in Oregon, New York, Washington, Chicago, DC, Massachusetts, California, etc., etc...

I have refused to support any of these LIB [ #2020 ] hole states/cities with my tourism money since- because they lie and spin and destroy their own cities and our country for some BS Narratives. "White Rage...... what a bunch of [ #2020 ]!!!"

It's not that hard too understand if you read my entire post........unless you've been living on a toadstool somewhere, or you're a LIB

you do realize that even though the thread title asks the question about "where we will end up" this isn't a travel thread or poll?

BrewingFrog

You underestimate how delusional Texas has become. They truly believe they can compete for SEC championships after going .500 in Big-12 play over the last decade.
Perhaps. One would hope that the "Brain Trust" making the decisions over there would be a bit more, I dunno, level headed? Realistic?

Evidently not.

flyfishingfrog

The reality is if they don’t move to be part of this new elite group - they would lose out on the chance to play for the title

just like FCS teams have their own championship- every level will end up with their own and only those teams in the elite 24/32 will have a shot at the top prize

the rest of us will most likely form a tier 2 championship for the B team squads

so they could have said no and been relegated like the rest of us but they would never admit they can’t compete

BrewingFrog

The reality is if they don’t move to be part of this new elite group - they would lose out on the chance to play for the title

just like FCS teams have their own championship- every level will end up with their own and only those teams in the elite 24/32 will have a shot at the top prize

the rest of us will most likely form a tier 2 championship for the B team squads

so they could have said no and been relegated like the rest of us but they would never admit they can’t compete
I don't believe that is the case. UT is a Brand Name Program, a ratings magnet, and commands the attention of at least two of the largest TV markets in the US. They have a legion of Alumni and T-Shirt fans all over the Nation, and thus commanded their destiny to a large degree. TCU, or Vanderbilt for that matter, has none of those advantages. A "Great West Conference" marketed with UT and OU in the East, and USC, UCLA in the West would have been a dandy foil to the "Greater SEC." But, alas...

I don't think UT had much say in the matter. They were probably made a suggestion, or, "an offer he can't refuse." The SEC was probably made a nice offer as well. No way this happens without prior approval of the people with the checkbook. In the end, all the Collegiate parties are simply pieces being moved about on a board.

I believe ESPN/Disney is simply hoarding all the Big Players and telling the Streamers to go and pound sand. They have the SEC under contract, probably for a good long while, and they are expanding the property they own. They also own the Playoff, and thus, control the Game in it's entirety for the next few years.

asleep003

Then all the LIBERAL [ #2020 ] started in Oregon, New York, Washington, Chicago, DC, Massachusetts, California, etc., etc...

I have refused to support any of these LIB [ #2020 ] hole states/cities with my tourism money since- because they lie and spin and destroy their own cities and our country for some BS Narratives. "White Rage...... what a bunch of [ #2020 ]!!!"

Go take a crap on someone else's thread please... tell us where the frogs end up !!!

Dogfrog

I don't believe that is the case. UT is a Brand Name Program, a ratings magnet, and commands the attention of at least two of the largest TV markets in the US. They have a legion of Alumni and T-Shirt fans all over the Nation, and thus commanded their destiny to a large degree. TCU, or Vanderbilt for that matter, has none of those advantages. A "Great West Conference" marketed with UT and OU in the East, and USC, UCLA in the West would have been a dandy foil to the "Greater SEC." But, alas...

I don't think UT had much say in the matter. They were probably made a suggestion, or, "an offer he can't refuse." The SEC was probably made a nice offer as well. No way this happens without prior approval of the people with the checkbook. In the end, all the Collegiate parties are simply pieces being moved about on a board.

I believe ESPN/Disney is simply hoarding all the Big Players and telling the Streamers to go and pound sand. They have the SEC under contract, probably for a good long while, and they are expanding the property they own. They also own the Playoff, and thus, control the Game in it's entirety for the next few years.

It’s a Disney/ Hearst corporate takeover of college football. UT is a major brand, that may be panicking a little because they have sucked on the field and Daddy ESPN has not been real pleased with their [ Finebaum ] Longhorn network. They most likely firmly believe that it will be ESPN who determines who is relevant and who is not long term, so better join them than get beaten by them.