• ACC

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • AAC/Mountain West/Conference USA

Votes: 64 27.7%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

cheese83

this is the same network that picture mike greenberg an anchor and dan orlosky, the man who ran out of the endzone during a game, a football expert

do you really think it is stretch to think they can manipulate college football into an nfl type product.

hell, they have convinced people that all those bcs and cfp ratings up to the final one actually scheissing matter

I don't think they'll ever be able to turn CFP into a NFL type product, the NFL is the top dog and they can basically tell ESPN what to do. If not they'll take their ball and just keep working with Amazon, CBS, and probably Google/YouTube TV in or before 2033.

Wexahu

"If only Houston, Cincinnati and BYU were in the conference, we wouldn't go to the SEC" - Texas/Oklahoma?

Yeah, gonna go ahead and doubt that one.

Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

This has all the fingerprints of ESPN, now that the NCAA is out of the way, just putting their final nail in that coffin and taking over college football. The wokest of the woke sports networks making a huge power play by consolidating the monied players and taking a giant steamy dump on everyone else. Kind of ironic.

It's gonna be really hard for me to get that excited about college football going forward. They are creating a product that just doesn't interest me.

Eight

I don't think they'll ever be able to turn CFP into a NFL type product, the NFL is the top dog and they can basically tell ESPN what to do. If not they'll take their ball and just keep working with Amazon, CBS, and probably Google/YouTube TV in or before 2033.

don't need all of the cfp to be an nfl product.

just need a select group who struggle following the rules and are willing to do whatever and spend whatever is need to win. consider how things work over in europe in the various domestic soccer leagues. you have the top tier and then lower leagues beneath that. same principle, but with the relegation and promotion component

as far as the rest, well, i am sure espn would be happy to broadcast the post season bowl games and the playoffs for the lower tiers.

Wexahu

this is the same network that pictured mike greenberg an anchor and dan orlosky, the man who ran out of the endzone during a game, a football expert

do you really think it is stretch to think they can manipulate college football into an nfl type product.

hell, they have convinced people that all those bcs and cfp ratings up to the final one actually scheissing matter

Oh, they'll turn it into an NFL-type product, there is no doubt. The question is what kind of interest is there gonna be in 10-20 years for what is basically the NFL except with far worse players.

I have my doubts, but hell, the media turned the Kardashian's into billionaires, I guess with enough promotion and marketing they can make people think a [ Finebaum ] sandwich is steak and lobster.

"If only Houston, Cincinnati and BYU were in the conference, we wouldn't go to the SEC" - Texas/Oklahoma?

Yeah, gonna go ahead and doubt that one.
I don't think it would matter in terms of OU and Texas leaving, but if we were at 10, I think the league would be in slightly more stable footing wrt not having to dissolve. As is, only 2 go and the league is on very shaky ground. OTOH, the "merger' with the PAC-12, no matter how unlikely, would be off the table if we were at 10 right now.

Wexahu

I don't think it would matter in terms of OU and Texas leaving, but if we were at 10, I think the league would be in slightly more stable footing wrt not having to dissolve. As is, only 2 go and the league is on very shaky ground. OTOH, the "merger' with the PAC-12, no matter how unlikely, would be off the table if we were at 10 right now.

Being at 10 without UT and OU wouldn’t make a difference. That conference would still be considered basically a G5 league.

cheese83

don't need all of the cfp to be an nfl product.

just need a select group who struggle following the rules and are willing to do whatever and spend whatever is need to win. consider how things work over in europe in the various domestic soccer leagues. you have the top tier and then lower leagues beneath that. same principle, but with the relegation and promotion component

as far as the rest, well, i am sure espn would be happy to broadcast the post season bowl games and the playoffs for the lower tiers.

I mean how can you compete with a professional league when they take your best players every year? So you're saying they want to turn the SEC along with a number of other teams into the Championship League and leave the NFL as the Premier League? I think a better analogy would be if someone tried to turn academy teams into a league that would compete against their professional clubs, just typing that sounds insane.

Zubaz

Agreed, but it would be at less risk of dissolving.
Would it? Pretty much all of the 8 remaining current members would still be looking at greener pastures with or without G5 teams being added a few years back. WVU would still be feeling out the ACC, Kansas and Iowa State would still be looking at the B1G, the Texas/Oklahoma remainders would still be looking at the PAC. The Big 12 is dead the second Texas and OU leave, whether the conference had 8 or 10 remaining teams.

If anything, not expanding has helped the remaining Big 12 schools, because it didn't give Houston, BYU, or Cincinnati a few years of "power conference" credibility, making their competition weaker when soliciting other conferences for membership.

Eight

I mean how can you compete with a professional league when they take your best players every year? So you're saying they want to turn the SEC along with a number of other teams into the Championship League and leave the NFL as the Premier League? I think a better analogy would be if someone tried to turn academy teams into a league that would compete against their professional clubs, just typing that sounds insane.

not exactly, the nfl wants no part of this for a number of reasons.

first, they don't spend a penny developing talent nor accountable for the medical issues for those who were in college football, didn't get signed and now have physical and other issues.

second, they need that pool to be as deep and wide as possible. consider that outside of the sec, you have seen an increased number of draft picks from "off brand" conferences. why, the number of kids who start in a big conference and transfer out, the number of kids who get overlooked.

this new "conference" is the champions league without the movement or mechanism to qualify.

you are right, the remaining schools are not going to be able to compete, but espn doesn't care, they want content and the remaining schools will need revenue .

the more i think about it how the hell is this not a perfect target for the federal trade commission, but it won't happen because college sports isn't a business right?

Would it? Pretty much all of the 8 remaining current members would still be looking at greener pastures with or without G5 teams being added a few years back. WVU would still be feeling out the ACC, Kansas and Iowa State would still be looking at the B1G, the Texas/Oklahoma remainders would still be looking at the PAC. The Big 12 is dead the second Texas and OU leave, whether the conference had 8 or 10 remaining teams.

If anything, not expanding has helped the remaining Big 12 schools, because it didn't give Houston, BYU, or Cincinnati a few years of "power conference" credibility, making their competition weaker when soliciting other conferences for membership.
I agree with the sentiment that the all Big 12 members will be looking elsewhere, but there may not be any offers out there. We'll have to see.

Anyway, don't agree with the bolded part at all. From a legal entity standpoint, the Big 12 is not dead if only OU and UT leave. As long as it has the minimum number of members (can't remember what that minimum is- 4? 6?), it will be able to keep the UT and OU buy outs and NCAA tourney units. If it gets below a certain number, it will have to dissolve. I can't remember what that number is, but being at 10 instead of 8 right now would give a little more wiggle room wrt hitting the conference minimum<------my only point.

Bob Sugar

It all comes down to invitations. If the PAC/Big 10/ACC all stand pat for now, I don't think the egos of TT, OSU, KSU, etc. would accept "stepping down" to the MWC or AAC. If the Big 10 ends up going after Oregon and USC to counter the SEC's move, then I think the remaining 8 Big 12 teams would merge with Utah, the Arizona schools, Colorado, UCLA, Cal, Washington and either Stanford or Washington Sate.

Wexahu

I agree with the sentiment that the all Big 12 members will be looking elsewhere, but there may not be any offers out there. We'll have to see.

Anyway, don't agree with the bolded part at all. From a legal entity standpoint, the Big 12 is not dead if only OU and UT leave. As long as it has the minimum number of members (can't remember what that minimum is- 4? 6?), it will be able to keep the UT and OU buy outs and NCAA tourney units. If it gets below a certain number, it will have to dissolve. I can't remember what that number is, but being at 10 instead of 8 right now would give a little more wiggle room wrt hitting the conference minimum<------my only point.

Isn't this fun? Instead of talking about depth charts, schedule strengths, and recruiting classes, this is what we're left with.

It's over, as far as college football the way we have always known it. Done. History. I don't think people have fully grasped that yet. It was basically over in my opinion once the NIL and transfer rules were put in play, this just bludgeons it to a point it won't be remotely recognizable. The separation between the have's and the have not's has always been a problem, now the gap will be so wide it's futile for the latter group to even try and compete.

Bob Sugar

Isn't this fun? Instead of talking about depth charts, schedule strengths, and recruiting classes, this is what we're left with.

It's over, as far as college football the way we have always known it. Done. History. I don't think people have fully grasped that yet. It was basically over in my opinion once the NIL and transfer rules were put in play, this just bludgeons it to a point it won't be remotely recognizable. The separation between the have's and the have not's has always been a problem, now the gap will be so wide it's futile for the latter group to even try and compete.
Maybe, but I will still watch and root for the frogs, That said, if TCU goes back to a conference slate of Tulane, ECU, etc., I will think long and hard about whether to renew season tickets. If the Big 12 poaches the 4-6 best teams from MWC/AAC I would renew. If TCU ends up in a conference with a bunch of PAC-12 teams, I would renew. AAC or MWC? I am leaning toward not renewing, unless there is a drastic change in ticket prices.

Eight

the elite programs don't want to compete with the "lesser programs". they are tired of carrying the dead weight even though only a select few of them truly win on a consistent basis.

they have had someone in their ear telling them they deserve a bigger piece of the pie, free of the old rules, and to direct their programs as they feel to play this game.

reminds me of some ways of this:

f3eb51e3-5251-4dbe-83e0-96d7efc3400e_text.gif

Bob Sugar

the elite programs don't want to compete with the "lesser programs". they are tired of carrying the dead weight even though only a select few of them truly win on a consistent basis.

they have had someone in their ear telling them they deserve a bigger piece of the pie, free of the old rules, and to direct their programs as they feel to play this game.

reminds me of some ways of this:

f3eb51e3-5251-4dbe-83e0-96d7efc3400e_text.gif
But the funny thing is that some of the have's will turn into perennial losers. It sounds all well and good for some 32-team super conference, until a Michigan or FSU ends up going 0-12 every year. Think those fans wouldn't love to go back to worst-case seasons of 6-8 wins?

Eight

But the funny thing is that some of the have's will turn into perennial losers. It sounds all well and good for some 32-team super conference, until a Michigan or FSU ends up going 0-12 every year. Think those fans wouldn't love to go back to worst-case seasons of 6-8 wins?

some like texas are already mired in mediocrity and who do they blame? their string of bad hires?

heck no, they just hire another idiot, spend a [ Finebaum ] load of money on renovations, and get the same result

play golf couple of times a month with two horns and one guy is a broken record on how texas is playing "down to the level" of the conference even though me and the fourth who is from the uk keeps reminding him texas would have to win 5 games straight just to even their record in the big 12 with the frogs

they don't see it, neither do michigan, fsu, etc... heck, consider all the sec, sec, sec crap you get from schools that get their arses beat on a regular basis. damn group think brainwashing so i don't feel sorry for any of them.

It all comes down to invitations. If the PAC/Big 10/ACC all stand pat for now, I don't think the egos of TT, OSU, KSU, etc. would accept "stepping down" to the MWC or AAC. If the Big 10 ends up going after Oregon and USC to counter the SEC's move, then I think the remaining 8 Big 12 teams would merge with Utah, the Arizona schools, Colorado, UCLA, Cal, Washington and either Stanford or Washington Sate.
I've thought about this possibility. The PAC-12 has to assume this will happen sometime. Do they wait for it to happen and adjust at that point by adding MWC schools or preemptively do something with the Big 12 leftovers now?