• The KillerFrogs

Visitor Here

CountryFrog

So much to do in downtown and west 7th. The others have already mentioned most of it. Just walk around and see what looks good. If you like improv then 4 Day Weekend is a good place to hit in downtown for some drinks and laughs.

And like someone else said, whatever you do, stay away from Dallas.

Ron Swanson

Hey everyone,

So, some friends and I just booked a last minute trip to TCU for this weekend. Really excited to visit a new Big 12 campus. Was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on some places to eat, things to see, etc? Any tailgating info we should know? We are flying in Friday evening and leaving Sunday, so we have a little bit of time to check things out. I know we are definitely going to Game Day Saturday morning, so I'm excited to see the signs in person, haha. Appreciate any and all info in advance. Heres to a good game Saturday afternoon.

I hope you and your friends from western Virginia enjoy north Texas.

Frog-in-law1995

If the “19” in your name indicates class of 19, ignore the old dudes on here.

Drink Friday/Saturday night off W 7th (East of University, South of and along 7th, North of Lancaster, West of and along Foch). Tons of bars. Plenty with TVs to catch others gsmes. This is the area most TCU students go out. If you like burgers, Rodeo Goat in there is awesome. Downtown has some good bars. It’s an older/less educated (read: Denton) crowd. If you have time to blow it’s fine to visit - when I was a student we went out downtown before W 7th built up. Demo has changed since. Downtown is awesome but ignore you’re an undergrad it’s probably not your night scene. You might check the Billy Bob’s concert calendar for Saturday night. Otherwise the stockyards blow with olds and tourists.

If you want a bite by campus - Dutch’s on university or Fuzzy’s tacos (the original) on Berry.

Uber is easy - no need to rent a car most likely. Designated pick up on Cantey St on TCU’s campus.

Best BBQ is on Magnolia - Heim. Everything is good. Order a side of bacon burnt ends.

If you’re doing breakfast Sunday - early or late - ol south is the greasy spoon type place and torchys tacos is a regional chain that has great breakfast tacos and a full bar. There are plenty of true brunch places too if that’s your thing.

If you want to drink local - TX Whiskey and TX Bourbon; Rahr, Martin House and Wild Acre beer.

Protip - stay out of dallas.

If the 19 indicates his graduation year, he’ll need a very good fake id for those places.

Chongo94

The original??? I have too much respect for you to think this is not some sort of practical joke to pull on someone coming all the way from Western Virginia.

Bring cash, go to Joe T's and get Tito's special margarita with your meal.

If you want good Tex Mex, you don't go to Joe T's...it's all about the atmosphere there.

netty2424

Speaking of moonshine, anybody tried the shine at that Mash’d place on W7th? Why on earth would anybody drink that swill when there’s a full bottle of Maker’s right next to it?
My FIL had some apple pie in the freezer at home one of his work buddies made and it would knock you silly if you didn't properly respect it, but was pretty damn good to sip on.

Realtorfrog

I'd say Horseshoe Hill is a must for Chicken Fried Steak......haven't been to Heim but Railhead has excellent pork ribs. As for Mexican food, so many to pick from but I guess Esperanza's or Dos Molina's for the best beans I've ever had.

I prefer Sundance Square for going out but Crockett/W 7th is popular with the college kids.

We're pretty friendly..... just ask and we'll steer you in the right direction.

WVU_19

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Will definitely check some of these out. BBQ is high on my list of things to try while there. We are staying in Ft. Worth and don't plan to go to Dallas at all, except for the airport, if that counts.

PS- I think the Western Virginia thing is hilarious and i'm not surprised it pi$$ed a few of our fans off. I cant tell you though how many times this mix up happens IRL though. Im fully planning to see this on Game Day signs Saturday and then watching people freak out, haha.

Frog-in-law1995

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Will definitely check some of these out. BBQ is high on my list of things to try while there. We are staying in Ft. Worth and don't plan to go to Dallas at all, except for the airport, if that counts.

PS- I think the Western Virginia thing is hilarious and i'm not surprised it pi$$ed a few of our fans off. I cant tell you though how many times this mix up happens IRL though. Im fully planning to see this on Game Day signs Saturday and then watching people freak out, haha.

The airport is in Fort Worth (and Grapevine). Darning Dallas, man.

Purp

If the “19” in your name indicates class of 19, ignore the old dudes on here.

Drink Friday/Saturday night off W 7th (East of University, South of and along 7th, North of Lancaster, West of and along Foch). Tons of bars. Plenty with TVs to catch others gsmes. This is the area most TCU students go out. If you like burgers, Rodeo Goat in there is awesome. Downtown has some good bars. It’s an older/less educated (read: Denton) crowd. If you have time to blow it’s fine to visit - when I was a student we went out downtown before W 7th built up. Demo has changed since. Downtown is awesome but ignore you’re an undergrad it’s probably not your night scene. You might check the Billy Bob’s concert calendar for Saturday night. Otherwise the stockyards blow with olds and tourists.

If you want a bite by campus - Dutch’s on university or Fuzzy’s tacos (the original) on Berry.

Uber is easy - no need to rent a car most likely. Designated pick up on Cantey St on TCU’s campus.

Best BBQ is on Magnolia - Heim. Everything is good. Order a side of bacon burnt ends.

If you’re doing breakfast Sunday - early or late - ol south is the greasy spoon type place and torchys tacos is a regional chain that has great breakfast tacos and a full bar. There are plenty of true brunch places too if that’s your thing.

If you want to drink local - TX Whiskey and TX Bourbon; Rahr, Martin House and Wild Acre beer.

Protip - stay out of dallas.
Lots of good info in this one. I'd recommend Wild Acre for a craft beer experience and Trinity River Distillery right next door for two pretty good birds with one stone. I'd also add Panther Island Brewery as another great local craft stop.

There are a lot of varying opinions about Joe T's around here, but the food is more than respectable and the atmosphere is something you won't find anywhere else. It's a cash only joint and the lines get long fast so go early, but they seat about 1,500 people in the place and you can go get a pitcher of margs at the bar to enjoy in line whilst you wait.

Cosign on the Heim rec also. If you're going to eat something in Texas it needs to be excellent BBQ and Tex-Mex.

ETA: If you have the itch to go to Dallas save yourself the hassle and just trust us. It's a bunch of pretentious $50K millionaires prancing around trying to one-up each other until they go bankrupt and have to start all over with new credit lines. It's like the civic equivalent of the Cold War except they're all too darnin shallow to know what communism even is, let alone have an opinion about it. It's a darnin oasis for Yankees in between a lot of wholesome goodness on all sides. Darn those penis wrinkles.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

Lots of good info in this one. I'd recommend Wild Acre for a craft beer experience and Trinity River Distillery right next door for two pretty good birds with one stone. I'd also add Panther Island Brewery as another great local craft stop.

There are a lot of varying opinions about Joe T's around here, but the food is more than respectable and the atmosphere is something you won't find anywhere else. It's a cash only joint and the lines get long fast so go early, but they seat about 1,500 people in the place and you can go get a pitcher of margs at the bar to enjoy in line whilst you wait.

Cosign on the Heim rec also. If you're going to eat something in Texas it needs to be excellent BBQ and Tex-Mex.

ETA: If you have the itch to go to Dallas save yourself the hassle and just trust us. It's a bunch of pretentious $50K millionaires prancing around trying to one-up each other until they go bankrupt and have to start all over with new credit lines. It's like the civic equivalent of the Cold War except they're all too darnin shallow to know what communism even is, let alone have an opinion about it. It's a darnin oasis for Yankees in between a lot of wholesome goodness on all sides. Darn those penis wrinkles.

tradingplacesyeah.jpg