• The KillerFrogs

2024-2025 European Football Thread

HF-EOC

The offsides call that negated Bayern’s equalizer. Bayern dude’s shoulder does look a bit offside, but is Rüdiger’s arm playing them on? Legit IDK

Both semis were good drama. Madrid… this sort of thing only happens to them.

I could not tell either, but crazy they whistled it so quickly when it is so close.

Chongo94

Me too. I thought refs these days are told to allow plays of that nature (razor-close offsides, etc) to play out and VAR can address it on the backend.
That’s what I thought as well.

And what if a different ref had red-carded Nacho for the two hands to the face push? Madrid got lucky but they always get the benefit of the doubt, sadly.

Will be pulling for Dortmund with everything I have but I know it won’t matter, sadly.

Last edited:

dawg

That’s what I thought as well.

And what if a different ref had red-carded Nacho for the two hands to the face push? Madrid got luck but they always get the benefit of the doubt sadly.

Will be pulling for Dortmund with everything I have but I know it won’t matter, sadly.
Absolutely.

Purp

Me too. I thought refs these days are told to allow plays of that nature (razor-close offsides, etc) to play out and VAR can address it on the backend.
I think that's typically the plan, but the problem with that is that the VAR then has to have evidence of a clear and obvious error to overturn the call. Even with AI VAR technology it's not always that clear and obvious with offsides. I'd rather the referees call the game as if there were no review options and just call it like they see it. If they screw something up VAR can overrule them, but don't leave your flag down if you think you saw offsides. Don't swallow your whistle if you're pretty sure you saw a foul in the box. Grow a pair and blow your whistle.

In this particular case I'm pretty sure he was off. I don't think extremities like arms count within the laws as body parts that can make a player offsides. My understanding is that the torso (up to and within the shoulders) is what matters. In this case the shoulder is clearly beyond the rear edge of the defender's torso, which makes him offsides.

I could be wrong on that understanding of the rule b/c it's been tweaked so much over the years as VAR technology evolves, but I'm fairly certain that's how they look at it.

Chongo94

PSV did decide in the end to not keep Dest. Bidness is bidness after all. But from the way I heard to the news I was listening to, they seem to hope that they can get him cheaper because of the injury now once he completes his rehab and stuff at Barcelona with Barcelona paying for all that.

So they’ll likely go back in for him when he’s healthy again.

Last edited:

HF-EOC

PSV did decide in the end to not keep Dest. Bidness is bidness after all. But from the way I heard to the news I was listening to, they seem to hope that they can get him cheaper because of the injury now once he completes his rehab and stuff at Barcelona with Barcelona paying for all that.

So they’ll likely go back in form him when he’s healthy again.
Stinks for him, but like you said, just business.

I saw they did make the Tillman move permanent on a 4 year deal. Nice spot for him to keep developing.

Purp

So they’ll likely go back in for him when he’s healthy again.
This is kinda what I expected. I also agree Earnie Stewart will make another play for him when he's healthy.

dawg

Puli with 2 today. Musah started also.
A sammich shop in Milan has given him his own sammich.

saturday night live snl GIF

Purp

kaiser soze

Gio got 30 mins burn too in the NF tie at AV earning a crucial point to climb into a tie at the top of the relegation pool. Came on one minute before the equalizer. Don't think he was involved but maybe his USMNT form can be a kick start
Welp. 45 days later and Gio has again worked himself out of roster inclusion. Must be a real pain in the ass. Hopefully the Reyna camp is learning some humility and is more open to a club that needs him to play 90 rather than one with a flashy name that does not. Still young, but the window is getting smaller.

Chongo94

Welp. 45 days later and Gio has again worked himself out of roster inclusion. Must be a real pain in the ass. Hopefully the Reyna camp is learning some humility and is more open to a club that needs him to play 90 rather than one with a flashy name that does not. Still young, but the window is getting smaller.
This is starting to be my thoughts as well. Attitude can easily devoid oneself of talent.

I remember that Claudio could be petulant too but it came across as wanting to win back then from what I remember. Clearly, I was wrong as were many others. And the wife seems to be the biggest ass of the bunch.

Purp

This is starting to be my thoughts as well. Attitude can easily devoid oneself of talent.

I remember that Claudio could be petulant too but it came across as wanting to win back then from what I remember. Clearly, I was wrong as were many others. And the wife seems to be the biggest ass of the bunch.
I always read the Claudio situation as being frustrated that he was the only legitimate world class talent on the roster. Even then I don't remember him being an ass about it, but more just recognizing he was better than his peers and that made things difficult against most of our opponents. The context of the last two years really makes me rethink those initial perceptions, for sure. Had never heard of his wife before the WC and I wish I had still never heard of her.

Do we know why he wasn't included? I noticed that Saturday, but assumed he had picked up another injury. He's been in and out of the team sheet since he got there.

dawg

Jedi getting some love after another very solid season. One of The Guardian's "ten unexpected stars of the season."

Antonee Robinson, Fulham

It’s been another solid season for Antonee Robinson at Fulham, so much so that the US international has been linked with a high-profile exit this year. João Palhinha’s defensive prowess is rightly applauded, but the left-back’s fine reading of the game enables Fulham to turn defence into attack quickly. Robinson has made more interceptions (78) than any other player in the Premier League this season. When it comes to filling the left-back spot in the team of the season, the 26-year-old deserves to be mentioned.

Rose Bowl

How In the hell is Chelsea going to finish 6th? They were near dead three months ago and with a miracle could finish 5th.

EPL has had the best race of any big European league.