• The KillerFrogs

Ungrateful

Eight

I seem to recall a Clark Foundation graph showing most of the investment was made after the giving increased after we started winning and going to bowls. Whatever the root impetus, non of it would have mattered had GP not been there to give a reason to invest more.

the big money that i recall came in the early 2000's when frogs started upgrading facilities.

Froggish

who has said that if gary decided to retire at the end of the year the next hc would do better, but as i posted in another threat since joining the big 12 the frogs have had the 6th best winning percentage in conference play and the trend of the program is not good.

can gary turn this around? possibly, but will he be willing to do what is needed and i don't mean simply replacing sonny.

Nobody said that. The folks who get offended by the GP can do better talk like to infer things. There is absolutely no way to know that a new coach would improve a darn thing. Nor has anyone claimed that it would. However, isn’t that a separate discussion from where we are in the current state of our program? Some here are unwilling to admit that GP is struggling.

Its a fact that people do great things and reach points in their career where change is necessary for them and their employer to continue to do great things. I don’t know if GP is at that place but it’s possible that the program has peaked under his leadership. That’s not a reason to replace him but it’s certainly something to consider. I have no idea why so many get there feelings hurt when the idea is brought up.

Putt4Purple

who has said that if gary decided to retire at the end of the year the next hc would do better, but as i posted in another threat since joining the big 12 the frogs have had the 6th best winning percentage in conference play and the trend of the program is not good.

can gary turn this around? possibly, but will he be willing to do what is needed and i don't mean simply replacing sonny.

I have heard from several posters either through insinuation or straight out saying so. You've heard it as well. Guilty conscience? I did not cite you. You responded. Gary IS doing what is needed. Be patient Snowflake.

Strat Frog

Would there be any surprise if Gary pulled a Stoops and just bowed out soon? He’s been doing this a long time and has presumably saved some dough for retirement. Being a head coach is an all-in gig, and at some point, maybe it’s just a beat down that he no longer wants/needs. Stoops, of course, played it well by leaving the team in good shape with a successor. Gary clearly doesn’t have a successor on his staff, so maybe he makes key changes this off season, establishes a successor, and then rides off into the sunset...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
i think the big money came in after the Rose Bowl if I recall, I could be wrong

I can’t locate the giving total, but men’s revenue (Football was the big contributor) didn’t take off until 2005-06 which would indicate a pretty clear GP influence in my opinion. I’m guessing Deep can shed light, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Frog Club and upload_2019-10-21_21-37-55.png alumni giving didn’t jump proportionally.

i don't disagree that the line of successful coaches at tcu isn't long, but was that merely the failings of the coaches or supporting the program to the level needed to be competitive

i go back that the turn around in the football program took place before fran was ever hired

The actual historic timeline does not support your theory. Those where one-off wins not turnarounds. Gary was there with Fran and how has Fran done without Gary? All the major upswing for TCU has happened under one head coach.

>17 bowl games in 19 seasons

>The most wins in school history

> 3 seasons finished in the top 10

>10 seasons with 11 wins

> 11 top 25 finishes

>10 seasons with awards for graduation rates

>5 seasons with the #1 ranked defence

>6 conference championships including the Big 12 on his 3rd year

>He is ranked 4th among all active coaches for overall winning percentage >167-63 .726 winning percentage

>22 national coach of the year awards

>238 all conference selections

>48 players drafted by NFL

>119 players invited to NFL camps

>Bowl Games:

1982 Independence Bowl

1993 Las Vegas Bowl

1997 Insight.com Bowl

1998 Sun Bowl (TCU)

1999 Mobile Alabama Bowl (TCU)

2000 Mobile Alabama Bowl (TCU)

2001 galleryfurniture.com Bowl (TCU)

2002 Liberty Bowl (TCU)

2003 Fort Worth Bowl (TCU)

2005 Houston Bowl (TCU)

2006 Poinsettia Bowl (TCU)

2007 Texas Bowl (TCU)

2008 Poinsettia Bowl (TCU)

2010 Fiesta Bowl (TCU)

2011 Rose Bowl (TCU)

2011 Poinsettia Bowl (TCU)

2012 Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl (TCU)

2014 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (TCU)

2016 Valero Alamo Bowl (TCU)

2016 AutoZone Liberty Bowl (TCU)

2017 Valero Alamo Bowl (TCU)

2018 Cheez-It Bowl (TCU)

asleep003

Nobody said that. The folks who get offended by the GP can do better talk like to infer things. There is absolutely no way to know that a new coach would improve a darn thing. Nor has anyone claimed that it would. However, isn’t that a separate discussion from where we are in the current state of our program? Some here are unwilling to admit that GP is struggling.

Its a fact that people do great things and reach points in their career where change is necessary for them and their employer to continue to do great things. I don’t know if GP is at that place but it’s possible that the program has peaked under his leadership. That’s not a reason to replace him but it’s certainly something to consider. I have no idea why so many get there feelings hurt when the idea is brought up.

Froggish … some of you, in your group, seem to forget the 2012 and 2013 seasons, which combined for only 11 wins those 2 years. Remember what happened following that period? We stuck with him and we were gifted 3 really nice seasons out of the next 5 years(ranked in the top 10).

Many of us remember those dismal years between the mid 60s to the mid 80s. So let's lighten up on CGP and let him do his thing.... he knows what he needs to do more than you, I, and the rest on this site. But I will be really pisssed if Collins isn't moved up on the QB depth chart this week.

Last edited:

asleep003

The actual historic timeline does not support your theory. Those where one-off wins not turnarounds. Gary was there with Fran and how has Fran done without Gary? All the major upswing for TCU has happened under one head coach.

>10 seasons with 11 wins

> 11 top 25 finishes

>He is ranked 4th among all active coaches for overall winning percentage >167-63 .726 winning percentage

>Bowl Games:

1982 Independence Bowl

1993 Las Vegas Bowl

1997 Insight.com Bowl

1998 Sun Bowl (TCU)

2002 Liberty Bowl (TCU)

2005 Houston Bowl (TCU)

2007 Texas Bowl (TCU)

2010 Fiesta Bowl (TCU)

2011 Rose Bowl (TCU)

2018 Cheez-It Bowl (TCU)

That would be 7 top 10 finishes !

flyfishingfrog

>10 seasons with 11 wins

> 11 top 25 finishes

>Bowl Games:

1982 Independence Bowl

1993 Las Vegas Bowl

1997 Insight.com Bowl

1998 Sun Bowl (TCU)

2002 Liberty Bowl (TCU)

2005 Houston Bowl (TCU)

2007 Texas Bowl (TCU)

2010 Fiesta Bowl (TCU)

2011 Rose Bowl (TCU)

2018 Cheez-It Bowl (TCU)
Nothing special there that I can see.....I mean doesn't every school have a coach that has done that?

Chongo94

>10 seasons with 11 wins

> 11 top 25 finishes

>Bowl Games:

1982 Independence Bowl

1993 Las Vegas Bowl

1997 Insight.com Bowl

1998 Sun Bowl (TCU)

2002 Liberty Bowl (TCU)

2005 Houston Bowl (TCU)

2007 Texas Bowl (TCU)

2010 Fiesta Bowl (TCU)

2011 Rose Bowl (TCU)

2018 Cheez-It Bowl (TCU)

Bumpas doesn’t get any credit for some of this?

asleep003

Bumpas doesn’t get any credit for some of this?
Bumpas' 1st year(2004) was a disaster as DC at TCU and GP had to quickly take it back from him eventhough Bumpas held the title for 11 years. Don't be confused that Dick was sending in the signals to the defense, which actually came from GP.

Eight

>10 seasons with 11 wins

> 11 top 25 finishes

you forgot one, only 5 conference losing seasons in 19 seasons.

oh wait, that would mean that he has had losing seasons in 4 of his 7 years in the big 12 and that is headed to 5 out of 8, but then i would be ungrateful.

gary's work is greatly appreciated, but that does not put him above being questioned and there are issues within this program that continue to eat away at the program and his legacy.

steel wrote something that got ignored by many, but he raised some questions that have some validity, but somehow honest conversation is viewed i guess as being disloyal to gary and tcu

>Bowl Games:

1982 Independence Bowl

1993 Las Vegas Bowl

1997 Insight.com Bowl

1998 Sun Bowl (TCU)

2002 Liberty Bowl (TCU)

2005 Houston Bowl (TCU)

2007 Texas Bowl (TCU)

2010 Fiesta Bowl (TCU)

2011 Rose Bowl (TCU)

2018 Cheez-It Bowl (TCU)

froginmn

Then you have posted misleading and incorrect information in multiple threads.

First, we're fifth not sixth, and second, it's a very close grouping after first place OU. Three more wins over those seven plus years would have put us tied for second, and we were tied for third coming into this year.

Eight

Then you have posted misleading and incorrect information in multiple threads.

First, we're fifth not sixth, and second, it's a very close grouping after first place OU. Three more wins over those seven plus years would have put us tied for second, and we were tied for third coming into this year.

no, it is sixth and yes the grouping is close

i also notice no one mentions a losing record in conference play 4 out of 7 years