• The KillerFrogs

Ungrateful

H0RNEDFR0G

9781401301309_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

froginmn

The “what have you done for me lately” mentality displayed by some here is a shame.

Over the last few years, I have witnessed TCU football do some things that as a student in the 90s I wouldn’t have dared to dream about. We have won multiple conference titles and moved into a P5 conference. The prevailing wisdom then was that we wouldn’t be able to hack the “day in day out” competition, yet in year three the smallest school in the conference won a conference title and despite a rough patch, has won 56% of our conference games. We played in the Big 12 championship game in 2017, and only one full season has passed since then.

I attended the 2010 Fiesta Bowl, the first big time bowl TCU had played in during my lifetime. I attended the 2011 Rose Bowl, which validated TCU’s football accomplishments and set the stage for a move to the Big 12.

I attended the 2014 Peach Bowl with my then 13-y-o daughter, who is now applying to TCU.

And none of this mentions that countless other exciting experience that Coach has brought us – Sun Bowl, Alamo Bowls, and many more. These experiences have brought a lot of joy to me and to my family.

Of course I don’t want our team to follow up a 4-5 season with a 2-7 season, but to think that some feel we should get rid of the coach that has led us to where we are is truly a shame. If the game “has passed him by” it sure did so quickly, since we were in the B12 CG two years ago. And I’m glad we didn’t get rid of him the last time he went 4-5 then 2-7, because I enjoyed that Peach Bowl.

Maybe a little perspective would help, and maybe thinking that developments at the QB position have put us in a no win situation would be that perspective (a top recruit flaming out and the next year’s top recruit suffering injury has put us in a position where we have to play a true freshman for the first time in Patterson’s history).

Maybe you think Patterson isn’t capable of bouncing back, but I’ll bet on Gary every single time. I’m thankful for the amazing and unlikely run he developed for TCU football and for what it has meant to me. I certainly hope things get figured out soon, but I’m confident that Gary knows more about coaching college football than anyone on this board and that he’ll return us to the top of the standings.

Go Frogs!

McGregor's Goat

I think GP deserves every benefit of the doubt, and I recognize what a miracle he worked at TCU. That doesn't mean that he's my buddy or a good person (I really have no idea), but I'm grateful for the job he's done. And things would have to get much worse before I would suggest that he should be pushed out.

None of that means that I should give a less than honest assessment of how things are going. I think GP has done a bad job this year and that he would probably agree. I think the decision to sign Delton was bad and the decision to start him was alarming, the decision to stick by Cumbie all this time was bad, and talent evaluation and/or development seems to have slipped quite a bit. We're losing to less talented teams and getting badly out-coached at times. Maybe GP gets it turned around, or maybe he's lost his edge and it's part of a long decline like with Beamer at Va Tech, Mack at Texas, or Bowden at FSU.

Christcu

Would there be any surprise if Gary pulled a Stoops and just bowed out soon? He’s been doing this a long time and has presumably saved some dough for retirement. Being a head coach is an all-in gig, and at some point, maybe it’s just a beat down that he no longer wants/needs. Stoops, of course, played it well by leaving the team in good shape with a successor. Gary clearly doesn’t have a successor on his staff, so maybe he makes key changes this off season, establishes a successor, and then rides off into the sunset...

Christcu

Would there be any surprise if Gary pulled a Stoops and just bowed out soon? He’s been doing this a long time and has presumably saved some dough for retirement. Being a head coach is an all-in gig, and at some point, maybe it’s just a beat down that he no longer wants/needs. Stoops, of course, played it well by leaving the team in good shape with a successor. Gary clearly doesn’t have a successor on his staff, so maybe he makes key changes this off season, establishes a successor, and then rides off into the sunset...

asleep003

The “what have you done for me lately” mentality displayed by some here is a shame.

Over the last few years, I have witnessed TCU football do some things that as a student in the 90s I wouldn’t have dared to dream about. We have won multiple conference titles and moved into a P5 conference. The prevailing wisdom then was that we wouldn’t be able to hack the “day in day out” competition, yet in year three the smallest school in the conference won a conference title and despite a rough patch, has won 56% of our conference games. We played in the Big 12 championship game in 2017, and only one full season has passed since then.

I attended the 2010 Fiesta Bowl, the first big time bowl TCU had played in during my lifetime. I attended the 2011 Rose Bowl, which validated TCU’s football accomplishments and set the stage for a move to the Big 12.

I attended the 2014 Peach Bowl with my then 13-y-o daughter, who is now applying to TCU.

And none of this mentions that countless other exciting experience that Coach has brought us – Sun Bowl, Alamo Bowls, and many more. These experiences have brought a lot of joy to me and to my family.

Of course I don’t want our team to follow up a 4-5 season with a 2-7 season, but to think that some feel we should get rid of the coach that has led us to where we are is truly a shame. If the game “has passed him by” it sure did so quickly, since we were in the B12 CG two years ago. And I’m glad we didn’t get rid of him the last time he went 4-5 then 2-7, because I enjoyed that Peach Bowl.

Maybe a little perspective would help, and maybe thinking that developments at the QB position have put us in a no win situation would be that perspective (a top recruit flaming out and the next year’s top recruit suffering injury has put us in a position where we have to play a true freshman for the first time in Patterson’s history).

Maybe you think Patterson isn’t capable of bouncing back, but I’ll bet on Gary every single time. I’m thankful for the amazing and unlikely run he developed for TCU football and for what it has meant to me. I certainly hope things get figured out soon, but I’m confident that Gary knows more about coaching college football than anyone on this board and that he’ll return us to the top of the standings.

Go Frogs!
Brilliant !