• The KillerFrogs

Ungrateful

WIN

Don't see Patterson going anywhere unless it is his decision. If he is willing to do the things (coaching changes) to get the offensive side of the ball functioning then he will be able to focus on what he does best, defense.

The lack of improvement on either side of the ball has me concerned. People talk about execution as if that is not a coaching issue, it is 100% coaching. Execution is about having your head in the game and good coaches spend as much time on the mental side, if not more, than the physical.

Opintel

Moderators
There are possibly some coaches who are not 100% committed to the adjustments necessary. That is up to LHCGP to fix. What WIN said is pretty much spot on.

SwissArmyFrog

Exceptionally well said.

All the talk about getting a new head coach should really stop. All you spoiled ungrateful snowflakes need to shut your mouth. Coach P. is the program. He built it brick by brick and in the process created a revenue stream for our university that surpasses our wildest expectations. The national visibility the football program brings to our university, helps drive private funding for research and scholarships. The ascension of TCU is an epic feat that should have learned our loyalty. If the university even hints about getting ride of Gary my donations and many others will stop.

Eight

All the talk about getting a new head coach should really stop. All you spoiled ungrateful snowflakes need to shut your mouth. Coach P. is the program. He built it brick by brick and in the process created a revenue stream for our university that surpasses our wildest expectations. The national visibility the football program brings to our university, helps drive private funding for research and scholarships. The ascension of TCU is an epic feat that should have learned our loyalty. If the university even hints about getting ride of Gary my donations and many others will stop.

first, gary didn't build this program by himself.

the old line about taking a village to raise a child can equally be applied to reviving the tcu football program.

inside the rebuild process was started by fran and it was taken over by gary, but it wasn't gary alone. hell, gary alone didn't build the defense into the back bone of his teams. he has had throughout the rise of the program strong assistants who have helped forged this program.

the problem is that now gary stands alone on that staff. he has no peers left, no one to challenge him, he has followers now on that staff and not equals and anyone who truly believes gary has done this all on his own and his has been without peer throughout his time at tcu are clueless.

i don't agree with how jerry jones handled letting tom landry go, but i agree with it being the right decision.

landry fundamentally was still the cowboys offensive and defensive co-ordinators even though others held the titles, his defense was no long confusing offenses as a change in the nfl to the short passing game exposed a defense built to stop the run, the scouting department was no longer finding players no one else knew about and the draft was littered more with busts than players, and landry wasn't willing to change.

gary said in an interview long ago that he decided in his first year as head coach that he was going to do it his way and not worry about the results. hired or fired he was going to be himself.

so without a peer on the staff and having from the start operating under the belief all or nothing on doing it his way why should there be hope that gary will truly do what is needed to make the changes to address problems in all phases of this prgoram?

in regards to loyalty? he has benefited multiple times over and then some with the bumps each time he considered a job elsewhere.

Billy Clyde

How is coaching TCU to 17 bowls in 19 seasons running a program into the ground? It has been six seasons since TCU missed a bowl and it looks likely TCU will not bowl this season. How it is that running a program into the ground? If GP misses a bowl in three consecutive seasons, then you have a valid stance.

Things cycle. Very few programs can be a Top 10 program annually over the long haul. I think what must of us truly fear is being a perennial a 6-7 win team per season. We want more 9 -11 wins per seasons than the 6-7 range. That is our expectations. Failing short of those expectations is not running a program into the ground, but rather leaving us frustrated.

If you are happy being a perennial contender for "maybe" get eligible for the Summer's Eve Bowl, you are right where you need to be. . .

This was supposed to be the "bounce-back" year that Gary is known for, after a pretty abysmal, yes, abysmal bowl season last year.

Things are trending down, and doing more of the same but with greater intensity is NOT the answer. Major upheaval is called for.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

the old line about taking a village to raise a child can equally be applied to reviving the tcu football program.

inside the rebuild process was started by fran and it was taken over by gary, but it wasn't gary alone. hell, gary alone didn't build the defense into the back bone of his teams. he has had throughout the rise of the program strong assistants who have helped forged this program.

the problem is that now gary stands alone on that staff. he has no peers left, no one to challenge him, he has followers now on that staff and not equals and anyone who truly believes gary has done this all on his own and his has been without peer throughout his time at tcu are clueless.

i don't agree with how jerry jones handled letting tom landry go, but i agree with it being the right decision.

landry fundamentally was still the cowboys offensive and defensive co-ordinators even though others held the titles, his defense was no long confusing offenses as a change in the nfl to the short passing game exposed a defense built to stop the run, the scouting department was no longer finding players no one else knew about and the draft was littered more with busts than players, and landry wasn't willing to change.

gary said in an interview long ago that he decided in his first year as head coach that he was going to do it his way and not worry about the results. hired or fired he was going to be himself.

so without a peer on the staff and having from the start operating under the belief all or nothing on doing it his way why should there be hope that gary will truly do what is needed to make the changes to address problems in all phases of this prgoram?

in regards to loyalty? he has benefited multiple times over and then some with the bumps each time he considered a job elsewhere.

Rarely do any great leaders accomplish anything alone. Washington, Lincoln, you name them always rely on help. But why do great leaders get the credit and why are they few and far between? Especially in the case of TCU. My guess if he was so easy to replace someone would have between a Dutch, Abe and Gary.

People who so easily talk of moving on may want to study our history. They may not like the results. I can say from experience that a bump in the road hear and there sure beats the whole bus careening down the abyss year after year. Could someone step in and do better, possibly. But it sure hasn’t been our DNA.

Eight

Rarely do any great leaders accomplish anything alone. Washington, Lincoln, you name them always rely on help. But why do great leaders get the credit and why are they few and far between? Especially in the case of TCU. My guess if he was so easy to replace someone would have between a Dutch, Abe and Gary.

People who so easily talk of moving on may want to study our history. They may not like the results. I can say from experience that a bump in the road hear and there sure beats the whole bus careening down the abyss year after year. Could someone step in and do better, possibly. But it sure hasn’t been our DNA.

i don't disagree that the line of successful coaches at tcu isn't long, but was that merely the failings of the coaches or supporting the program to the level needed to be competitive

i go back that the turn around in the football program took place before fran was ever hired

asleep003

There is no village without this one special individual …. every program has a village. It's the leader of that village that brings the success or not.

Eight

There is no village without this one special individual …. every program has a village. It's the leader of that village that brings the success or not.

so if the only thing that has changed are the foot soldiers on the staff so to speak who are replaceable and the leader has stayed the same why do we find ourselves in this situation?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
i don't disagree that the line of successful coaches at tcu isn't long, but was that merely the failings of the coaches or supporting the program to the level needed to be competitive

i go back that the turn around in the football program took place before fran was ever hired

Which turn around was that? The Sun Bowl in 65 misery followed, the 84 Bluebonnet Bowl mediocrity followed or 94 Independence Bowl then 4 years until 2 bowls by Fran?

It seems to me a turn around would be more like the unprecedented sixteen bowls under one coach from 2001 to 2018.

The program is in decline and the it’s falling pretty rapidly. If you are willing to claim GP single handedly built the program brick by brick then you must also be willing to admit its decline is his fault as well. You don’t get to claim one without claiming the other.
Unless you joined the thread as a threat because you're one of the top donors, go pound sand.

Wait, you joined 2 weeks ago and waited to make that your first post? lmao

To be clear, if I am a top donor you agree with me, but if not you you want me to “pound sand”. That says a lot. “lamo” is there a type of post I am supposed to make for my first? I am not sure of the points you are trying to make. Maybe you could construct a counter argument to my post if you disagree. Or is that - lamo.

Putt4Purple

This a thousand times over. I could not have said it better.
The thought on this board that just to replace Gary and things will get better is just plain insane! To change as an experiment is insane!

Thanks for your post Hoosier!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The thought on this board that just to replace Gary and things will get better is just plain insane! To change as an experiment is insane!

No charge! But people usually get slammed for agreeing me, beware...

4 Oaks Frog

I can’t believe you channeled both Obama and Hillary before you really got started. Thanks for the humor! KF.com was needing a dose...
GO FROGS!
BEAT big orange cows!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Eight

Which turn around was that? The Sun Bowl in 65 misery followed, the 84 Bluebonnet Bowl mediocrity followed or 94 Independence Bowl then 4 years until 2 bowls by Fran?

It seems to me a turn around would be more like the unprecedented sixteen bowls under one coach from 2001 to 2018.

when the administration decided that winning was important enough to invest in the success of the program

Eight

who has said that if gary decided to retire at the end of the year the next hc would do better, but as i posted in another threat since joining the big 12 the frogs have had the 6th best winning percentage in conference play and the trend of the program is not good.

can gary turn this around? possibly, but will he be willing to do what is needed and i don't mean simply replacing sonny.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
when the administration decided that winning was important enough to invest in the success of the program

I seem to recall a Clark Foundation graph showing most of the investment was made after the giving increased after we started winning and going to bowls. Whatever the root impetus, non of it would have mattered had GP not been there to give a reason to invest more.