• The KillerFrogs

Unbelievable- Bascik fired from The Ticket

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(tetonfrog @ Apr 28 2010, 06:26 PM) [snapback]552049[/snapback]
Remind me again why you are upset that he got fired. He just went against everything that you have been taught and you are defending him. And you are railing against his employer.......why?

Yes, this is America. There is free speech. There are also consequences for the things you say. I learned that when I wrote for the Skiff and during my journalism career. I was taught that at TCU in my Law and Ethics class. He can twit or twat whatever he wants, but if you cross the line like that you are done.

I think what bugs me (in addition to the racial slur) is the device in which his remarks were revealed. The fact that an employer read (or hears about it) a post on a social networking message board and fired him from a job just seems out of whack to me.
Please don't get me wrong - that was inexcusable and down right nasty what he said about San Antonio residents of Mexican descent. And yes, he deserves to be fired for those remarks (I don't take his "blow up the NBA office" tweet seriously).
The manner just bugs me. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frogenstein @ Apr 28 2010, 07:15 PM) [snapback]552083[/snapback]
I think it is mostly just you.

Thanks for clearing that up.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(PurplePutt @ Apr 28 2010, 02:57 PM) [snapback]551924[/snapback]
I was in Toluca a few weeks ago. I saw a whole bunch of Mexicans who were working on the highway. They were really dirty. Would I be a racist if I said they were dirty Mexicans? :unsure:

Your track record of past comments regarding the Japanese probably wouldn't help your cause.

ftwfrog

I love the Ticket(I know its not the topic). I've always said that the Ticket is for sports fans, and guys in general, who don't take themselves too seriously. You want to hear the X's and O's with tons of big guests, then ESPN is probably your choice. You want to hear a bunch of brainless callers talk about how they can catch better than Patrick Crayton, listen to the Fan.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 07:10 PM) [snapback]552079[/snapback]
I think what bugs me (in addition to the racial slur) is the device in which his remarks were revealed. The fact that an employer read (or hears about it) a post on a social networking message board and fired him from a job just seems out of whack to me.
Please don't get me wrong - that was inexcusable and down right nasty what he said about San Antonio residents of Mexican descent. And yes, he deserves to be fired for those remarks (I don't take his "blow up the NBA office" tweet seriously).
The manner just bugs me. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Twitter = public forum. End of story.

VictoryLap

QUOTE(ftwfrog @ Apr 28 2010, 09:01 PM) [snapback]552170[/snapback]
I love the Ticket(I know its not the topic). I've always said that the Ticket is for sports fans, and guys in general, who don't take themselves too seriously. You want to hear the X's and O's with tons of big guests, then ESPN is probably your choice. You want to hear a bunch of brainless callers talk about how they can catch better than Patrick Crayton, listen to the Fan.

I would like to go one further. The Ticket is for the fans at Mavs games who go socialize at the Jack Daniel's bar and don't give a rip about the game. Bunch of metrosexuals who don't really care about sports. I don't take myself too seriously, but I take my local sports teams seriously (probably too seriously).

The people in the parking lot at TCU football games- likely Ticket listeners.

Gosh I can't wait to turn on the Ticket and listen to a bunch of guys gossip like women.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 28 2010, 09:03 PM) [snapback]552171[/snapback]
Twitter = public forum. End of story.

Sad.
What is this country coming to?

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 09:20 PM) [snapback]552189[/snapback]
Sad.
What is this country coming to?

Freedom of speech entitles you to just that, freedom of speech (or in this case, freedom of typing). What it does not entitle you to is freedom from the consequences that your words may bring upon you. What's sad is that you seem to have a problem with that.

jack the frog

QUOTE(AUFrog @ Apr 28 2010, 12:59 PM) [snapback]551846[/snapback]
I think you would have to be really naive (putting it nicely) to be on the fence here. One, he probably has a clause in his contract that requires certain conduct. Two, his comments could do damage to his employer and the employer doesn't have to suffer so he can make his comments. While he's allowed to say just about what ever he wants, whenever and wherever he wants, his rights don't mean there won't be consequences for his speech.

Plus, how many people were outraged by his NBA comments? Did people listen to him and think, "hey, this guy's about to blow up the NBA offices?" Probably not. The difference is probably obvious to most people.

I would guess that more, if not most employers have some conduct clause for most real jobs these days, even positions outside the public eye, if they are serious about the company name and reputation. At my former brokerage house our public site memberships were reviewed often.
I know Schlumberger can fire you for getting a seatbelt ticket in your own vehicle on your own time. They have a safety emphasis obviously.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(jack the weed @ Apr 28 2010, 09:36 PM) [snapback]552197[/snapback]
I would guess that more, if not most employers have some conduct clause for most real jobs these days, even positions outside the public eye, if they are serious about the company name and reputation. At my former brokerage house our public site memberships were reviewed often.
I know Schlumberger can fire you for getting a seatbelt ticket in your own vehicle on your own time. They have a safety emphasis obviously.

I doubt it is that sensitive in the not-in-public-eye private sector.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Apr 28 2010, 09:34 PM) [snapback]552195[/snapback]
Freedom of speech entitles you to just that, freedom of speech (or in this case, freedom of typing). What it does not entitle you to is freedom from the consequences that your words may bring upon you.

Bingo.

QUOTE(VictoryLap @ Apr 28 2010, 09:14 PM) [snapback]552181[/snapback]
I would like to go one further. The Ticket is for the fans at Mavs games who go socialize at the Jack Daniel's bar and don't give a rip about the game. Bunch of metrosexuals who don't really care about sports. I don't take myself too seriously, but I take my local sports teams seriously (probably too seriously).

Gosh I can't wait to turn on the Ticket and listen to a bunch of guys gossip like women.

I completely disagree. Most of my friends who are very knowledgeable about sports listen to the Ticket. They don't need to know the "hard-hitting" talk to know the game. On the other hand, most of the sports idiots that try to come across as sports Jedis that I know listen to ESPN or the Fan. The biggest d-bag at my gym wears a Fan shirt.

Kingles

QUOTE(VictoryLap @ Apr 29 2010, 02:14 AM) [snapback]552181[/snapback]

Such an uninformed opinion. You obviously are not a ticket listener or you wouldn't say such ignorant things. I used to listen to ESPN radio but after hearing Michael Irvin a few times too many, along with the blabberings of Mike and Mike, I switched to a significantly better, more interesting radio station.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Why do so many of you care what sports radio station other guys listen to? I swear you would think some people were in here talking about someone's dead mama or something. What does it matter if you like ESPN, The Fan or The Ticket.... different strokes for different folks.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ Apr 29 2010, 08:33 AM) [snapback]552276[/snapback]
Why do so many of you care what sports radio station other guys listen to? I swear you would think some people were in here talking about someone's dead mama or something. What does it matter if you like ESPN, The Fan or The Ticket.... different strokes for different folks.

For some reason, Sports Radio is one of those things that people generally choose one of, and then they are loyal to that station. I'm that way with 1560 AM in Houston, it's way better than 610 or 790 IMO. They are able to be genuinely funny and talk about all things guys are interested in, but they made sure to hire people that are actually very knowledgeable about sports. I trust those guys opinions about college football, college basketball, the NFL, and the NFL draft over anyone else in Houston. You can probably find more informed opininons about MLB and the NBA on other stations.

It sounds like they're Houston's version of the Ticket, but it sounds like they may be a little more knowledgable about sports than the Ticket guys are (I'm basing that solely on this thread).

To each his own, I'm not going to judge someone on what sports talk station they listen to or anything, but I'll try and sway them over to 1560 if I can.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 09:00 AM) [snapback]552293[/snapback]
For some reason, Sports Radio is one of those things that people generally choose one of, and then they are loyal to that station. I'm that way with 1560 AM in Houston, it's way better than 610 or 790 IMO. They are able to be genuinely funny and talk about all things guys are interested in, but they made sure to hire people that are actually very knowledgeable about sports. I trust those guys opinions about college football, college basketball, the NFL, and the NFL draft over anyone else in Houston. You can probably find more informed opininons about MLB and the NBA on other stations.

It sounds like they're Houston's version of the Ticket, but it sounds like they may be a little more knowledgable about sports than the Ticket guys are (I'm basing that solely on this thread).

To each his own, I'm not going to judge someone on what sports talk station they listen to or anything, but I'll try and sway them over to 1560 if I can.

Dunham and Miller = knowledgeable
Norm = knowledgeable
Bob Sterm = knowledgeable
Dan McDowell = idiot-not worthy of this market
Hardline = not knowledgeable but entertaining

I can't believe I went off topic.
You people are unreal and have short attention spans.

Frogenstein

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 29 2010, 09:10 AM) [snapback]552299[/snapback]
I can't believe I went off topic.
You people are unreal and have short attention spans.

Just like the Ticket.