• The KillerFrogs

Unbelievable- Bascik fired from The Ticket

Houston Frog

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:40 PM) [snapback]551827[/snapback]
Sports talk but really man talk. Lots of schtick, but kind of needed to break up sports talk.
Metroplex went without sports talk radio station until 1994. Ticket provided a much-needed niche and has a large, loyal following.

Wow, even 2314 fell for my obvious attempt to derail the thread that he was trying so hard not to let get derailed

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:28 PM) [snapback]551815[/snapback]
What an idiotic response.
The point of the thread (do I need to talk r-e-a-l s-l-o-w for you?) is whether an employee should get fired over a post on a social network.
This happens to be an excellent thread that has the potential for fascinating debate on a current phenomenon.
Are you really that stupid?

Answer, yes. Especially if they pull back the curtain on workplace stuff that shouldn't be public.

And why you got your a-hole hat on today 23??

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(50FT FROG @ Apr 28 2010, 12:40 PM) [snapback]551829[/snapback]
but wait, aren't his free speech rights being violated :ph34r:

i'm joking.

This is a serious matter. I think Bascik was wronged.
However, he put himself in a situation he easily could have avoided.

50FT FROG

QUOTE(satis1103 @ Apr 28 2010, 05:38 PM) [snapback]551825[/snapback]
When oh when will people realize that the internet is public? Doesn't matter if you have to logon to something, very few things are private online. Social media is never private. Twitter is moronic anyway, and if you are employed by someone else, it's not worth it - you will be watched. Kids are worse. They need to know how bad they could shoot themselves in the foot by making damn near every aspect of their daily lives into public record.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I've heard worse than "dirty Mexicans" on-air on the Ticket. I have to think the firing was about the NBA league offices.

threatening to blow up their offices will get their attention.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(satis1103 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:42 PM) [snapback]551832[/snapback]
Answer, yes. Especially if they pull back the curtain on workplace stuff that shouldn't be public.

And why you got your a-hole hat on today 23??

I think you are wrong my friend.
It was a private, personal Twitter page.
Had he been quoted by a real media outlet then I would agree he needed to be fired.
BOTOH, it was made a HUGE media story in SA, so maybe it is justified.
This is why I am on the fence on this one.
But bottom line, the mexican remark is a fireable offense but not blowing up the NBA offices.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:48 PM) [snapback]551839[/snapback]
Had he been quoted by a real media outlet then I would agree he needed to be fired.
But bottom line, the mexican remark is a fireable offense but not blowing up the NBA offices.

Nothing about Twitter is private

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 28 2010, 12:50 PM) [snapback]551841[/snapback]
Nothing about Twitter is private

Evidently. Bascik sure knows that now.
Remind me to cancel my Twitter account.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:51 PM) [snapback]551842[/snapback]

Here's the thing about Twitter - there are ways to see what people write, private or not. There are also leaks. It's equivalent to having a private conversation in a public place - can you really assure you won't be overheard and/or ratted out?

AUFrog

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 05:48 PM) [snapback]551839[/snapback]

I think you would have to be really naive (putting it nicely) to be on the fence here. One, he probably has a clause in his contract that requires certain conduct. Two, his comments could do damage to his employer and the employer doesn't have to suffer so he can make his comments. While he's allowed to say just about what ever he wants, whenever and wherever he wants, his rights don't mean there won't be consequences for his speech.

Plus, how many people were outraged by his NBA comments? Did people listen to him and think, "hey, this guy's about to blow up the NBA offices?" Probably not. The difference is probably obvious to most people.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(satis1103 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:56 PM) [snapback]551845[/snapback]
Here's the thing about Twitter - there are ways to see what people write, private or not. There are also leaks. It's equivalent to having a private conversation in a public place - can you really assure you won't be overheard and/or ratted out?

Let me ask you this: People will now be worried their employers will be watching Twitter. I think you basically posted that this is a regular occurrence. That said, how in the hell will Twitter survive if it's now obvious people will post less there to avoid their employers reading their posts.
[SIZE=36pt]Twitter will soon be dead![/SIZE]

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(AUFrog @ Apr 28 2010, 12:59 PM) [snapback]551846[/snapback]
I think you would have to be really naive (putting it nicely) to be on the fence here. One, he probably has a clause in his contract that requires certain conduct. Two, his comments could do damage to his employer and the employer doesn't have to suffer so he can make his comments. While he's allowed to say just about what ever he wants, whenever and wherever he wants, his rights don't mean there won't be consequences for his speech.

Plus, how many people were outraged by his NBA comments? Did people listen to him and think, "hey, this guy's about to blow up the NBA offices?" Probably not. The difference is probably obvious to most people.

People who live in glass houses, huh?

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 01:00 PM) [snapback]551847[/snapback]
Let me ask you this: People will now be worried their employers will be watching Twitter. I think you basically posted that this is a regular occurrence. That said, how in the hell will Twitter survive if it's now obvious people will post less there to avoid their employers reading their posts.
[SIZE=36pt]Twitter will soon be dead![/SIZE]

Where have you been? Jesus...... this has been around for many many years. I remember about 4-5 years ago their were commercials on local radio stations talking about watch what you say and post on social networking sites. Get with the program 2314.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ Apr 28 2010, 01:04 PM) [snapback]551849[/snapback]
Where have you been? Jesus...... this has been around for many many years. I remember about 4-5 years ago their were commercials on local radio stations talking about watch what you say and post on social networking sites. Get with the program 2314.

Kids sticking up for children's toys.
It's YOUR generations fault.
Nothing your generation does has any value. Lazy, entitled, and you hijack thought-provoking threads like this.
Go play somewhere else, FOAP.
Go twit your tweeter on Twitter. :laugh:

QUOTE(satis1103 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:40 PM) [snapback]551826[/snapback]
I used to be a Ticket P1, but it just started to get more and more juvenile. Now I can't listen anymore.

So you stopped listening around 1999? They stopped doing straight sports after '96 or so and since about 2000 have been heavily bit-intensive. I admit to often wondering whatever happened to JD in Grapevine (think he died), Paul the Damn Viking, and Fake Mexican Junior, but the Ticket 2010>Ticket late 90s.

FYI, 2314, they said on the air that it was corporate's decision, not the station's.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(PhormerPhrog @ Apr 28 2010, 01:17 PM) [snapback]551853[/snapback]
So you stopped listening around 1999? They stopped doing straight sports after '96 or so and since about 2000 have been heavily bit-intensive. I admit to often wondering whatever happened to JD in Grapevine (think he died), Paul the Damn Viking, and Fake Mexican Junior, but the Ticket 2010>Ticket late 90s.

FYI, 2314, they said on the air that it was corporate's decision, not the station's.

I heard, and corporate is wrong.
BTW (LOL!), Paul the Damn Viking called in on The Hardline every week in the playoffs when the Vikings were alive.
V-I-K-I-N-G-S! LOL.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 01:10 PM) [snapback]551851[/snapback]
Kids sticking up for children's toys.
It's YOUR generations fault.
Nothing your generation does has any value. Lazy, entitled, and you hijack thought-provoking threads like this.
Go play somewhere else, FOAP.
Go twit your tweeter on Twitter. :laugh:

What are you talking about? I don't even do Twitter. Kids sticking up for children's toys? What does that even mean? I am not sticking up for it. I damn sure ain't sticking up for this moron for putting something racist out there for everyone to see though. I don't know who is dumber.. you or him.

TheSheik

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:51 PM) [snapback]551842[/snapback]

Nothing to worry about, I doubt anybody reads nor cares about your Twitter account.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(TheSheik @ Apr 28 2010, 01:22 PM) [snapback]551859[/snapback]
Nothing to worry about, I doubt anybody reads nor cares about your Twitter account.

I don't have one. I have reached puberty.

FrogFrog

He wasn't wronged. I would fire my employee if they tweeted that, particularly if it became national news.

People act like Facebook and Twitter are personal diaries and not published worldwide.

TheSheik

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 01:24 PM) [snapback]551863[/snapback]
I don't have one. I have reached puberty.

Congrats on your first pube