• The KillerFrogs

Uhhh...Dixon to UCLA rumor/ news

LawFrog504

Does anyone know why UCLA wants him so bad? Not even being critical of JD here, but they low balled Calipari and will have to pay a substantial buyout to get him from us.

robbroyy

Cross would help keep the recruiting class intact and knows our current targets we’re in on for the spring. Plus he knows whatever issues caused the defections in January so he can make sure those don’t happen again.

If this were last week, I’d be all over Buzz Williams but I don’t know what targets are available this late in the game, so continuity seems like best option

Hornedfrog431

Does anyone really believe the signing class will stay if JD leaves? This could be a real setback if JD leaves.

Usually they follow the HC or the assistant that recruited them unless there is a major splash hire but even then that’s a 50/50 because they could follow old staff etc.

Me personally I’m on the side I hope Dixon doesn’t leave. We’ve see a ton of progress and uptick with this staff and we’ve continued to recruit at a higher level year after year.

ThisIsOurTime

If DIxon goes, it could well end up looking like he very much used TCU. TCU was there for him when his career at Pitt lost steam and we even gave him things we hadn't done for prior coaches like renovating the stadium. He has obviously done some good things for the program and came in at time when we were struggling but he has yet to deliver in the way everyone really, really wanted.

I still remember when a lot of people were pushing for him to become the coach at TCU (myself included) and thinking he was going to be great for TCU in part because he would be loyal due to his ties to the school and could be the coach for a very long time. Instead, if he goes, he would have left after just 3 seasons. I believe you have to go back to 1978-79 season with Tim Somerville (just 2 seasons) for the last time we had a coach that spent 3 years or less.

Ultimately, any change now would be disappointing as there is work left to be done at TCU and expectations have risen.

MTfrog5

If DIxon goes, it could well end up looking like he very much used TCU. TCU was there for him when his career at Pitt lost steam and we even gave him things we hadn't done for prior coaches like renovating the stadium. He has obviously done some good things for the program and came in at time when we were struggling but he has yet to deliver in the way everyone really, really wanted.

I still remember when a lot of people were pushing for him to become the coach at TCU (myself included) and thinking he was going to be great for TCU in part because he would be loyal due to his ties to the school and could be the coach for a very long time. Instead, if he goes, he would have left after just 3 seasons. I believe you have to go back to 1978-79 season with Tim Somerville (just 2 seasons) for the last time we had a coach that spent 3 years or less.

Ultimately, any change now would be disappointing as there is work left to be done at TCU and expectations have risen.
Respect level definitely changes for Dixon if he leaves now. Always rooted for him at Pitt. Will never root for UCLA

Frog-in-law1995

Billy Gillespie has apparently turned his life around at Ranger JC, just took them to the JC natty finals, and got hired by midwestern state in Wichita Falls. Worth a look, imo, though it’s a huge jump at this point. I’ll hang up and listen.

edit: may have been misinformed about the move to WF. Can’t find it online anywhere.

Last edited:

MTfrog5

Billy Gillespie has apparently turned his life around at Ranger JC, just took them to the JC natty finals, and got hired by midwestern state in Wichita Falls. Worth a look, imo, though it’s a huge jump at this point. I’ll hang up and listen.
Remember him being at TCU games during either early TJ years or JC years. He’s an interesting thought for sure

leofrog

Dawkins at UCF would be one of my first calls as well. Only reason I’m hesitant about him is I think he’s the next Duke coach
2 NCAA tourneys in 11 seasons is where you set the bar? I know TCU doesn’t have a lot of history, but we can do much better.

8 of those years were at Stanford, where he was under .500 in conference play. That worries me that he has a hard time recruiting to a private school, with Stanford being more prestigious than TCU.

Last edited:

leofrog

Cross would help keep the recruiting class intact and knows our current targets we’re in on for the spring. Plus he knows whatever issues caused the defections in January so he can make sure those don’t happen again.

If this were last week, I’d be all over Buzz Williams but I don’t know what targets are available this late in the game, so continuity seems like best option
How do we know that Cross would keep the recruiting classs together? This would be an easy out to them if they are having second thoughts.

I have always liked Cross, but if he’s chosen, I hope ADJD has done his research and thinks there is no one better.

Also, I don’t think we would have gotten Williams with TAMU out there. I know he wanted back in Texas, but always heard TAMU was the place he wanted to be.

MTfrog5

2 NCAA tourneys in 11 seasons is where you set the bar? I know TCU doesn’t have a lot of history, but we can do much better.

8 of those years were at Stanford, where he was under .500 in conference play. That worries me that he has a hard time recruiting to a private school, with Stanford being more prestigious than TCU.
Think we’ve had plenty of athletes show that recruiting to TCU is a lot easier than Stanford including the one who quit this year