• The KillerFrogs

Tie goes to......

Portland Frog

beating-dead-horse.jpg

Thanks!

Longfrog

Please cut and paste the following under your signature if you agree.

Last year, I would have been completely satisfied if BSU had ended the year ahead of TCU in the BCS rankings despite the fact that TCU won the recent head to head match up.

No, I wouldn't have been happy about it, but it has nothing to do with 2008. TCU played the harder schedule last year, went undefeated and looked every bit as dominant as Boise in doing so last year. Nothing's changed this year. By the same token, I doubt many here will begrudge Auburn for being ahead of TCU. They haven't lost either but have played a tougher schedule. I wish TCU could be in a better conference. I really wish there were a playoff. But here we are.

texasrobster1997

My last post on the thread....

Please cut and paste the following under your signature if you agree.

Agree on this point. I have no problem if Auburn or Oregon are ahead of us at the end of the year if they win out. By your logic, you think u should be ahead of oregon. Is Oregon better this year than last? Clearly. Is TCU? Looks like it. Is Boise? Verdict is still out, but so far I'm not convinced.
Last year, I would have been completely satisfied if BSU had ended the year ahead of TCU in the BCS rankings despite the fact that TCU won the recent head to head match up.

Good night, all.

I look forward to counting all the responses tomorrow to see how many will stand behind their beliefs.

Horny4TCU

I guess I subscribe to the group that think these sort of matters should be settled on the field.

A field that exists in the past... And this year, if you played OU, Oregon, and TCU in the same season would win them all, because you beat them in the past.

I think I just listed all your credibly wins in one sentence...

dmpinkstaff

The only thing I could think of as I read all of his twisted math in an effort to prove his point was:

One potato, Two potato, Three potato, Four...

Fact is the poll voters and computers have moved us ahead of BSU. The teams can only play their best and win their games and the system will do what the system does (not necessarily great but what we have currently).

Go Frogs!!

BigEasyFrog

Hey Frog Fans,

I have nothing but respect for your team. They are outstanding... much like the one that I support. They are dominating competition... much like the one I support. They beat BCS conference teams.... much like the one I support.

How do we break a tie between these two teams? They are a dead heat.

Unlike most situations like this, we have recent evidence of these teams matched up head to head. And Boise State won. It is the game most closely timed with this season played in calendar year 2011 and includes virtually the same cast of characters.

I know it isn't popular, but in this case, it is pretty clear the tie should go the Broncos.

I know some of you want to ignore this and wish that there will be some justification that overrules this. But I doubt you can look me in the eye and stand with integrity and tell me otherwise.
If we go by the "what happened last year" rule, you all should probably be ahead of Oregon as well given you beat them.

Would we be ahead of Oregon as well, because two years ago you also beat them, but we beat you? You realize how absurd that thinking is?

Two Years ago = Two Years ago only
Last Year ago = Last Year ago only
This Year = This Year only

We are focused on THIS YEAR in terms of rankings for THIS YEAR, not what happened last year or two years ago.

D

Daniel Plainview

They are both run and shoot teams. But in your beauty pageant your run and shoot opponent is better than ours.

You are right. It was an away game ....all the way in Highland Park.

Give me a break.

After This comment, I actually am starting to think this is a KFC'er messing with us.

How many Boise people know SMU is in dallas much less highland park? Most people outside of Texas just assume TCU is in dallas.

Also, how many Boise people got the Graduate Degree at an Ivy League school?

This just doesn't add up.

Army Frog Fan

Wouldn't be surprised if bsufan99999 "boulevards" before the SMU games...

A quick example on why the "we won 10 months ago" argument is flawed:

Houston played Air Force in 2008 (in Dallas because of Hurricane Ike) and lost 31-28. They had a rematch in FW in the Armed Forces Bowl that season on Dec 31 and Houston won 34-28.

wamos001

After This comment, I actually am starting to think this is a KFC'er messing with us.

How many Boise people know SMU is in dallas much less highland park? Most people outside of Texas just assume TCU is in dallas.

And who calls it an "Ivy League school"? Why wouldn't they just tell us the school? Not buying it.

Zubaz

I prefer a January 2010 result
Why? Even from your team, you lost first round draft pick Kyle Wilson. If Dalton throws left instead of right (which he didn't since Wilson was lined up on that side), then Thompson doesn't get the Pick 6 and it's an entirely different game.

The whole "they are basically the same teams" is nonsense. Both teams are different now. I'd even say both teams are better now.

Last year was last year. This year is this year. The only relevant metric to discussing this year's placement is this year's performance.

SnoSki

Hey Frog Fans,

I have nothing but respect for your team. They are outstanding... much like the one that I support. They are dominating competition... much like the one I support. They beat BCS conference teams.... much like the one I support.

How do we break a tie between these two teams? They are a dead heat.

Unlike most situations like this, we have recent evidence of these teams matched up head to head. And Boise State won. It is the game most closely timed with this season played in calendar year 2011 and includes virtually the same cast of characters.

I know it isn't popular, but in this case, it is pretty clear the tie should go the Broncos.

I know some of you want to ignore this and wish that there will be some justification that overrules this. But I doubt you can look me in the eye and stand with integrity and tell me otherwise.

LakersLauhginggif.gif

sous vide

The only thing I could think of as I read all of his twisted math in an effort to prove his point was:

One potato, Two potato, Three potato, Four...

Fact is the poll voters and computers have moved us ahead of BSU. The teams can only play their best and win their games and the system will do what the system does (not necessarily great but what we have currently).

Go Frogs!!

The system is corrupt, slanted, biased and near fixed. But it's the system in place. Neither of us have anywhere else to go except to voluntarily withdraw. That ain't gonna happen. So we go where they system takes us. That's about all we can do.

BSUFAN9999

Nope...just someone with family from DFW who knows a bit about the Metroplex.

And who calls it an "Ivy League school"? Why wouldn't they just tell us the school? Not buying it.

Someone who is attempting to be polite while responding to someone insulting his high school math abilities.
Wouldn't be surprised if bsufan99999 "boulevards" before the SMU games...

A quick example on why the "we won 10 months ago" argument is flawed:

Houston played Air Force in 2008 (in Dallas because of Hurricane Ike) and lost 31-28. They had a rematch in FW in the Armed Forces Bowl that season on Dec 31 and Houston won 34-28.

I am not saying that TCU couldn't/wouldn't beat Boise (again)...just that the most fair tie breaker is a head to head in the case of a recent game played. Otherwise, it is just a beauty pageant, and if we allow a full beauty pageant, we both lose. We don't even need to play any games.

The winner of the SEC is the national champion.

It was interesting to see only 1-2 people would sign up and say that if the situation was reversed last year, they would be completely satisfied. That is telling.

SnoSki

I am not saying that TCU couldn't/wouldn't beat Boise (again)...just that the most fair tie breaker is a head to head in the case of a recent game played. Otherwise, it is just a beauty pageant, and if we allow a full beauty pageant, we both lose. We don't even need to play any games.

It was interesting to see only 1-2 people would sign up and say that if the situation was reversed last year, they would be completely satisfied. That is telling.

LAST SEASON, different players for BOTH teams, enough said. Not sure how you can legitimately think that last year's results should have .0000001% influence on this year's rankings. These are completely different teams. Different situations, different injuries, different plays in the playbook. You think that this year's team would fall to another Boise State fake punt?

We wouldn't be satisifed if the situation was reversed because we have more impressive wins this season. Utah > VT (did Utah lose to James Madison at home?). SDSU = Hawaii. Baylor = Nevada. You know this. Don't make yourself look stupid.

The situation wouldn't be reversed in the first place unless we lost somewhere along the way.

Zubaz

I am not saying that TCU couldn't/wouldn't beat Boise (again)...just that the most fair tie breaker is a head to head in the case of a recent game played.
And again I'll ask why you feel that a game from a different season is the "most fair" tie breaker?

Last season's game was relevant for where our respective teams began the season. Fairly, your team began ranked higher. I had no problems with that at all. Where we go from there, however, is determined by one thing and one thing only: this year's performance. Clearly at this point, TCU's performance, most notably against a Top 5 opponent, is superior to the body of work that Boise has put together.

Put it this way: Take the NFL. Let's say the Falcons and the Giants end the year with the same record and are tied in the Wild Card race. They don't play each other this year, but they DID play each other last year with the Falcons squeaking out the win. The NFL tie-breaking procedures state that it's the best win-loss-tie record in their division. If the Giants had the better division record, they would get the Wild Card nod ahead of the Falcons...even though the Falcons beat them the previous season.

Wait....what?!?! THE NFL IS RUNNING A BEAUTY PAGEANT!!! No, of course they aren't, but they know that last year was different than this year.

Army Frog Fan

Why can't Boise fans understand that because of the Fiesta, and their returning players they were given the benefit of the doubt all season. It took a 40 point road win over a ranked team to negate that benefit of the doubt.

Boise could have won by 40 against Va Tech. They were up big in the 1st quarter. They won by 3.

It may be a beauty contest, but it is the system and it is one we are winning...

We beat the team the coaches rank #14 right now by 40.
Boise beat the team the coaches rank #16 right now by 3.

Maybe you can go cry on Pat Forde's shoulder.

Like it or not both TCU and BSU are on the outside looking in for an invite to MNC game. A loss by Auburn or Oregon will be needed at minimum. The crappy system we have is all that matters at the end of the day. If TCU wins out and gets into the MNC because it is ranked higher and one of the top two losses then I feel bad for BSU. If the tables are turned, then I feel badly for my Frogs. Last years results do not matter, other than a starting point for this season. All you can do is pray your team finishes undefeated, the polls are kind, the computers like you and the right teams loss in front of you.

macaroni

So you are advocating that UT play for the NC? Things change season to season and there is a reason that there is a line drawn around each season that is used for all stats and records. TCU is better this season and has different personnel. The receiver who scored the first TWO touchdowns of the Utah game is a freshman. I'm sorry you don't think Boise is any different than last year, but TCU is much better. BTW, have you gone to the Oregon board and explained that Boise should be higher than them because you beat them last year?

hornedfrog17

Nope...just someone with family from DFW who knows a bit about the Metroplex.

Someone who is attempting to be polite while responding to someone insulting his high school math abilities.

The winner of the SEC is the national champion.

BSU Fan-

As flawed and ultimately subjective as our system might be, the BCS computers were put in to place to reduce bias. One can assume that an awful lot went in to deciding what criteria should be evaluated in terms of establishing a national pecking order each year. Now, as I said, it is far from perfect and we all know that. The one thing we do know, however, is that there is no computer formula designed to account for a head to head matchup from a different season. Why? Because it would be ridiculous to think that carries any relevance to the present year. The Fiesta Bowl was a great game. I was disappointed, but I accepted the fact that TCU met its match and that we inevitably ended up playing (and losing to) a near mirror image of ourselves. Each an every experience that a team goes through, especially a veteran team, changes that group in immeasurable ways. I left the Fiesta Bowl wondering to myself how that loss could help TCU, and I do think it has. I no longer fear that "deer in the headlights" syndrome that we all displayed last January. Everyone here would tell you (whether or not you choose to believe it) that TCU completely abandoned our style of play and looked very timid throughout that game. Much of that credit goes to Petersen, and our own coaches' inability to adjust to the big stage. What we learned last weekend is that TCU internalized that experience and put forth a more complete, mistake free "Big Stage" performance than any other team in the top 25 this year, including your Broncos. In other words, the Horned Frogs have matured in ways that can't be statistically evaluated or discredited by the "Scoreboard" argument from last year. The same maturation process has likely continued at Boise, in just the same way. Would Boise beat TCU this year? Only one possible game could answer that question, and it wasn't played on Jan. 4, 2010. Largely, as a group, we feel your plight; but don't expect us to buy into this crap that last year's game is some magical tie breaker that doesn't exist anywhere but in Boise, Idaho. You can't argue that you subscribe to "on the field evidence" and then reference a tie breaker that is unrelated to each of our teams' performance this year.