• The KillerFrogs

The 2019 Offense needs to be restructured to revolve around the run game

BleedNPurple

If the defense knows your going to line up and take it to the right and you still gain 4 to 8 yards every time you keep ramming it down their throats. That was Vince Lombardi football - make them stop it. 196 yards for Sewo proved they couldn’t stop it. Mike threw one slant that worked. Couldn’t understand why we didn’t use that and the right end all night. Mule was slow last night getting the ball out and those sideline passes were over before the ball even left his hand.

We needed a passing game last night to go with the running game obviously.

BleedNPurple

If the defense knows your going to line up and take it to the right and you still gain 4 to 8 yards every time you keep ramming it down their throats. That was Vince Lombardi football - make them stop it. 196 yards for Sewo proved they couldn’t stop it. Mike threw one slant that worked. Couldn’t understand why we didn’t use that and the right end all night. Mule was slow last night getting the ball out and those sideline passes were over before the ball even left his hand.

We needed a passing game last night to go with the running game obviously.

Mule threw one slant last night. Thank you auto correct with no edit button

Paint It Purple

I’m still on the Cumbie train. Haven’t jumped off yet. But there are real concerns.
I still like Cumbie as the OC too. This game might prove something to him about players needing more reps. He fed the ball over and over to Sewo and look what happens. Kid gets gets comfortable, O-line get in a rhythm and the opposing defense gets tired of being pushed around. Same for several of the skill positions.

Double V

Asking Cumbie to come up with a competent thought is asking a lot, imo.

“We ran a wild frog for a touchdown a few possessions earlier so on 4th and short in the red zone I’ll run the same exact play again bc they won’t expect it”

Got damn moron we have calling plays on offense.

Darn a PA pass, darn a pop pass to the TE from the wild frog in the same situation. Let’s just do the same song and dance we’ve done all year that the other team has prepped a month for.

Dude blows my got damn mind.
And let's run it AFTER we lined it up and the D calls a timeout to make the adjustments to defend it...Oh, and there's that pesky 12 men on the field penalty after having 30 minutes to get ready to run the 1st play after half! That one set me off.

FrogLifeYo

We are a grad transfer QB away from this being a foolish statement. If I was a graduate transfer, I would be foaming at the mouth watching us last night. We are a QB away from being pretty decent. D will do its job and there is already a decent supporting cast on O. Bad OLs don’t allow their teams to ground and pound a good D.

There are a couple of great options out there, let’s get one of them.
This just isn’t true...

4th. down

I still like Cumbie as the OC too. This game might prove something to him about players needing more reps. He fed the ball over and over to Sewo and look what happens. Kid gets gets comfortable, O-line get in a rhythm and the opposing defense gets tired of being pushed around. Same for several of the skill positions.

Imagine that. Sonny is obviously a good QB recruiter but I'm going to let it go at that.

Pharm Frog

We are a grad transfer QB away from this being a foolish statement. If I was a graduate transfer, I would be foaming at the mouth watching us last night. We are a QB away from being pretty decent. D will do its job and there is already a decent supporting cast on O. Bad OLs don’t allow their teams to ground and pound a good D.

There are a couple of great options out there, let’s get one of them.

I think “pretty decent” is exactly who we already are.

Purp

Our offense isn't far from being really good based on what I saw last night. Our OL was savaged all year long, but the last few games that unit has really been solid. Last night was damn impressive rushing for that many yards against a quality defense. Once we started to commit to the run game following Mule's 3rd INT the OL took over the game with Sewo. And I know the OL deserves a lot of credit b/c Demarcado also had several big runs mixed in as well.

Give them a QB who can make good decisions and get our skill position guys healthy for that QB and we'll have a lot of great tools in the shed for Cumbie. Everything seems likely to happen and the only wild card is the QB. We've got loads of QB talent on campus right now so I'm hopeful at least one of them starts to figure it out in spring. I'm really encouraged by our OL after the last month, though. Great offense starts there and i think that group will give us that chance next season.

What is even more disconcerting than last night's erratic bowl performance is the sobering realization that

this group represents the core of the team that we can expect to see in 2019.

Raw Frog

We really need a legit WR coach, to develop our receivers and their route running--- as well as input to Cumbie on effective routes that are short to mid routes over the middle.
Virtually saw no slants, button hooks or routes for 5-8 yards over the middle of the field.
Our guys get no separation on their routes, which is caused by poor execution and not foot speed.
Cumbie needs help from somewhere...

FrogLifeYo

Our OL was not exceptional over the back 5 games but they played pretty well. They were not the problem last night. We have the talent on this roster to play good offense. The talent at the skill positions is here in spades. We are doing a terrible job of developing that talent and scheming to utilize it properly. Cumbie has no vision of how to game plan nor does he have any clue of how to situationally play call. He is the problem. I know it’s not popular to say that about a guy who we all think is a good recruiter and a great ambassador for the program, but his abilities as an OC are so sophomoric it’s unreal. It’s been clear all year long that he is learning on the fly and I can’t believe GP promoted him.

Yes we’ve had player issues. Yes Critical injuries have hurt. Yes QB play has been largely terrible. No doubt all those things are true. However a program that developed players well and has an effective, proven system can still be effective despite the players running it. How do I know it? It happens on the other side of the ball in our program every year, and we see other programs manage to make it work with Freshman QBs and backups all the time.

75% of our problems this year have been in the coaching booth. Out talent on offense is as good as anyone in the Big12 not named OU..We just aren’t developing it..

4th. down

Our OL was not exceptional over the back 5 games but they played pretty well. They were not the problem last night. We have the talent on this roster to play good offense. The talent at the skill positions is here in spades. We are doing a terrible job of developing that talent and scheming to utilize it properly. Cumbie has no vision of how to game plan nor does he have any clue of how to situationally play call. He is the problem. I know it’s not popular to say that about a guy who we all think is a good recruiter and a great ambassador for the program, but his abilities as an OC are so sophomoric it’s unreal. It’s been clear all year long that he is learning on the fly and I can’t believe GP promoted him.

Yes we’ve had player issues. Yes Critical injuries have hurt. Yes QB play has been largely terrible. No doubt all those things are true. However a program that developed players well and has an effective, proven system can still be effective despite the players running it. How do I know it? It happens on the other side of the ball in our program every year, and we see other programs manage to make it work with Freshman QBs and backups all the time.

75% of our problems this year have been in the coaching booth. Out talent on offense is as good as anyone in the Big12 not named OU..We just aren’t developing it..

And........where does all this lead? It goes right back to the HC, which is what we've said for a longtime, the buck stops with you. Until GP reinvents himself on that subject, no changes. The booth upstairs encouraged him not to let Song kick that field goal that was wide. GP is the head coach and he wanted Song but he didn't do what his gut was telling him.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
From what I can determine, based on The Mule's first two games taking meaningful snaps vs. the final game, after several weeks of coaching and instruction one-on-one, is that Cumbie's preferred method of instruction seems to be electroshock therapy while the QB is in the pocket (to keep him jumpy) and repeated blows to the head with a brick (to give good decision-making skillz).

I have also determined that whoever is drawing up the Offensive Game Plan should feed whatever has been put together each week into a shredder, and script plays based on heaving darts at the spread-out pages of the playbook while blindfolded. Whatever gets hit is what you run. Couldn't be worse than what was drawn up...

Seriously, a hard look has to be given to the whole of the offensive side of the ball. This was the most ghastly season for the Frog offense since 2013, and this last game was simply the awful exclamation point. There has been no consistency (save the bad kind) in anything we have attempted. No Game Plan has survived kickoff. The sole exceptions to this were the Rape U. and OkSt. games, where there seemed to be a plan structured around our strengths, as opposed to what was perceived as weaknesses in our opponents.

The ridiculous amount of injuries suffered this year contributed to the awful melange, and thus Strength and Conditioning needs a hard look as well. It could simply be that we were snakebit this season, but I tend to think that we were far above average in players going down and have been the last few seasons. If your best players are in walking casts, then you will have trouble winning games. I know that many consider the current S&C Coach a really good asset to the team. That may well be, but one must also look at the number of injuries comparatively and, if possible, adjust to minimize those injuries. More range-of-motion drills. Hell, introduce yoga! Couldn't hurt. I can remember Herschel Walker taking ballet at TCU to improve his game...

I can see Spring Drills starting with GMFP standing on the front of the team, saying, "Boys, this is a football..."

4th. down

From what I can determine, based on The Mule's first two games taking meaningful snaps vs. the final game, after several weeks of coaching and instruction one-on-one, is that Cumbie's preferred method of instruction seems to be electroshock therapy while the QB is in the pocket (to keep him jumpy) and repeated blows to the head with a brick (to give good decision-making skillz).

I have also determined that whoever is drawing up the Offensive Game Plan should feed whatever has been put together each week into a shredder, and script plays based on heaving darts at the spread-out pages of the playbook while blindfolded. Whatever gets hit is what you run. Couldn't be worse than what was drawn up...

Seriously, a hard look has to be given to the whole of the offensive side of the ball. This was the most ghastly season for the Frog offense since 2013, and this last game was simply the awful exclamation point. There has been no consistency (save the bad kind) in anything we have attempted. No Game Plan has survived kickoff. The sole exceptions to this were the Rape U. and OkSt. games, where there seemed to be a plan structured around our strengths, as opposed to what was perceived as weaknesses in our opponents.

The ridiculous amount of injuries suffered this year contributed to the awful melange, and thus Strength and Conditioning needs a hard look as well. It could simply be that we were snakebit this season, but I tend to think that we were far above average in players going down and have been the last few seasons. If your best players are in walking casts, then you will have trouble winning games. I know that many consider the current S&C Coach a really good asset to the team. That may well be, but one must also look at the number of injuries comparatively and, if possible, adjust to minimize those injuries. More range-of-motion drills. Hell, introduce yoga! Couldn't hurt. I can remember Herschel Walker taking ballet at TCU to improve his game...

I can see Spring Drills starting with GMFP standing on the front of the team, saying, "Boys, this is a football..."

Brewing, what you say is spot on IMHO, but it all starts with our Head Coach and he, after 20 years, IS NOT CHANGING, but without a doubt, the best college defensive coach in the game, not even close.

Wexahu

I hope the talent at the skill positions is in spades, but it's really hard to look at this WR and QB group and fully believe that. We're relying on faith to a large degree. This offense (specifically the passing offense) is so unbelievably bad that it's hard to tell who exactly is at fault. The whole thing is just complete garbage.

FrogLifeYo

I hope the talent at the skill positions is in spades, but it's really hard to look at this WR and QB group and fully believe that. We're relying on faith to a large degree. This offense (specifically the passing offense) is so unbelievably bad that it's hard to tell who exactly is at fault. The whole thing is just complete garbage.
We reach at a lot of positions in recruiting...We haven’t “reached” at QB since before Kenny...Meaning we, and about 100 other schools, either evaluated wrong or we can’t develop them..Remind me of who’s job that is..

Last edited:

LeagueCityFrog

No more videos of TCU offensive players training at sand volleyball courts this off season wearing bandanas for their strength and conditioning off season program. I'm convinced this is where things started going south this past season. More Colorado circuits in that training slot instead.

I also think we should send Gary and the offensive staff to Kansas City and have a 5 day offensive learning seminar with Andy Reid and the Chiefs. There are TCU alums who could set that up. I think a Gary and Andy Reid business relationship would be good for TCU football. Gary can share with Andy how to run a defense. Andy is a magician at bending an offense around whatever skills that year's group of players have instead of trying to get players to bend to his offense. We had ZERO offensive identity this past fall. No more Boykin, Doctson, and Mr. Cool on the sidelines in Coach Meacham and this is what we get.

Only keepers on offensive staff in my opinion are Luper and Thomsen. The rest get the axe including grad assistants for QBs and WRs.

CryptoMiner

Asking Cumbie to come up with a competent thought is asking a lot, imo.

“We ran a wild frog for a touchdown a few possessions earlier so on 4th and short in the red zone I’ll run the same exact play again bc they won’t expect it”

Got damn moron we have calling plays on offense.

Darn a PA pass, darn a pop pass to the TE from the wild frog in the same situation. Let’s just do the same song and dance we’ve done all year that the other team has prepped a month for.

Dude blows my got damn mind.

Wow, just wow. Really?