• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

FrogUltimate

Rybakov falls 3 and 4. I thought he played pretty well, Wolf is just at that next level. Bottom line - Wolf can hit the ball harder. Similar games outside of that.

The Cracked Racquets guys are still very high on Florida - all agreeing that the question is who's going to be #2. But the good news is that they also agreed that TCU is going to be the top seed and Baylor and Florida would meet in the semis; not the finals as they've projected all year. They also were very complimentary of Boitan and Fomba's W over him (his first L of the year) was especially impressive. They were also still confused by TCU's line-up; suggesting that if Vives is slotted above Fearnley, there would clearly be challenges from some coaches. This week, they treated the Big 12 with much more respect than last week, when it all was such a joke. (It helped that Stachowiak was replaced by Parsa Nemati this week which meant more serious commentary). They think that TCU is "top tier" and clearly a "contender" but they just aren't sold on the Frogs and think Baylor, Florida, Ohio State and Tennessee (now that Monday's is back after a W over Riffice in the SEC final) are better. They also remain high on Texas; despite all their injuries. Officially, they dropped us to 5th.
I am curious as to their thought on Michigan. Yeah they lost to Ohio State last time 4-1, but also pounded Ohio State, Baylor and TCU, 4-0, 4-0, 4-1. Versus top five teams they are 3-1.

Jared7

I am curious as to their thought on Michigan. Yeah they lost to Ohio State last time 4-1, but also pounded Ohio State, Baylor and TCU, 4-0, 4-0, 4-1. Versus top five teams they are 3-1.
All of them forecast an Ohio State-Michigan final and 2 of them (Gruskin is a Wolverine) picked Michigan although I think they all really think Ohio State is better. Having just beat them easily in Columbus. They love the Michigan doubles teams; they're less sold on Michigan in singles against Kingsley and Tracy. But they did move Michigan up to 4th in their rankings (ahead of TCU) and regard them as "top tier" in the sense of a contender for the NCAA title. I think Michigan had a hot spell but aren't necessarily peaking right now (kind of like us), but they're certainly capable of beating anyone. Including the Frogs. Which is why I, like long, want to avoid them.in the quarters. Meaning I don't want them as the #8 seed if we are indeed the top seed. The CR guys thought that it was possible for the Wolverines to leap as high as 4th or 5th if they win the Big 10 tourney. CTR currently projects them 7th.

Jared7

The thing that the CR guys most discussed was who was "the Guy" as in MVP for the last decade or so in college tennis. Starting with Steve Johnson in 2010 and going forward each year or period. They gave props to Chappell in 2014 as one of several possible candidates, but they gave 2016-2017 to the Virginia "seniors" and not Norrie and then gave the next years to Petros Chrysochos, who similarly didn't win a team title either. So, even though Norrie is currently the obvious best ex-college player in the ATP Top 10, was then the #1 ranked player in the ITA and was, for years, the star of a top-heavy little-depth team who counted on him to produce in doubles and singles every match and was the definition of the "automatic point" tag they bestow on (many) others, he didn't even make honorable mention.

As for now, they were picking either Shelton (Gator) and Boitan (Bear). Fomba just beat Boitan but lost to him in Waco. Fomba beat Riffice against Florida in January. The CR guys named Fomba and Jong as honorable mention.

Jared7

The Big 10 semis will be #4 Ohio State v. #29 Northwestern and #7 Michigan v. #54 Illinois.

Ohio State just blanked the Mildcats 4-0.

And Michigan just blanked the Illini 4-0.

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

Nadal and Djokovic spoke out strongly about the Wimbledon excluding Russian players thing. Nadal maybe hinted at some kind of larger player action in response.

Will be very interesting to see what Wimbledon does next

Longfrog

If that CTR prediction is accurate, that's as good as we could hope for. Only thing I might have hoped is to get UNC instead of AZ at 16, but that's quibbling. Either Wake or USC could certainly beat us, but those other QF matchups are much more concerning for the 2/3/4 seeds.

Jared7

If that CTR prediction is accurate, that's as good as we could hope for. Only thing I might have hoped is to get UNC instead of AZ at 16, but that's quibbling. Either Wake or USC could certainly beat us, but those other QF matchups are much more concerning for the 2/3/4 seeds.
Yeah, the whole point of earning the top seed is to get favorable match-ups all the way to the quarters, if not the semis. That's why Roditi did the tough schedule. We went 6-4 against the Top 6 and 8-4 v. the Top 12. I think we had the best regular season of all the teams. But can we parlay that into a NCAA championship? I think we'll get Fairleigh Dickinson or ACU and maybe Missisippi and Notre Dame in our regional. And if we advance, I think Arizona or maybe San Diego. Beyond that, South Carolina or Wake, perhaps. If we make it that far. Then, we're going to be playing the top teams again. And they're going to be hot.

Some good signs from the season, I think, are that Roditi and the team got revenge against two of the teams that beat us, showing that we made adjustments that turned a L into a W and that the tough schedule meant that Fomba and Aguilar have played most of the top players. And beat them (Aguilar over Shelton; Fomba over Riffice and Fomba over Boitan). Their overall W-L records aren't as impressive as some of the top guys who played fewer big matches but they have more experience. We're going to really need both of them to hit their strides in the tourney. I also was impressed by how Roditi navigated the Indoors and seemed to have the right line-up for the right match-ups. But we didn't handle the Big 12 tourney - Baylor seems to have our number, so I'm very glad they're in the other bracket.

As for the line-up, I think you go Fomba at #1, but Roditi has mixed Charlie in a lot, so I don't know what to expect. Jong at #3but then it's either Fearnley or Vives and maybe Maxted. It doesn't really matter who's #6 - Roditi can just insert Jirousek or Ruehl. The line-ups will be due soon.

Jared7

Nadal and Djokovic spoke out strongly about the Wimbledon excluding Russian players thing. Nadal maybe hinted at some kind of larger player action in response.

Will be very interesting to see what Wimbledon does next
What Wimbledon ought to do is back down and abide by their agreement with the ATP that ATP points are what determines eligibility. Medvedev, Rublev and the others will be at Roland Garros - let's see what happens there.

Longfrog

As for the line-up, I think you go Fomba at #1, but Roditi has mixed Charlie in a lot, so I don't know what to expect. Jong at #3but then it's either Fearnley or Vives and maybe Maxted. It doesn't really matter who's #6 - Roditi can just insert Jirousek or Ruehl. The line-ups will be due soon.
I don't think he's going to mess with what he's been going with 1 through 5. I think the preference would be to go with Maxted at 6 since nothing has been working and he's the most talented guy. But he already played himself out of the lineup and would probably need to show some noticeable improvement in practice to get the nod.