• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Jared7

So whatever is going on in Gray's weird schedule, he suddenly appears at the Nottingham futures this week as the #2 seed. He won the 1st set in his opening match 6-2, but down a break in 2nd set.
I just don't think Alastair wants to play on clay; he'd rather be Sheriff of Nottingham. Today's opponent was Israeli Ben Patael; next up is former FSU Seminole Lucas Poullain, a Frenchman with an ATP ranking of #1427.

Jared7

This thread is now hitting several milestones simultaneously - 100 pages, 50,000 views and roughly 2000 individual posts. Which is kind of amazing for a minor sports thread. Thanks to all contributors, lurkers and regulars for keeping everyone up-to-date on the Indoor Champs and top seeds in college tennis as well as all the Frog tennis pros.

FrogUltimate

I just don't think Alastair wants to play on clay; he'd rather be Sheriff of Nottingham. Today's opponent was Israeli Ben Patael; next up is former FSU Seminole Lucas Poullain, a Frenchman with an ATP ranking of #1427.

Hah seemingly. I see he's listed as the #3 seed for next week's tournament.... in Nottingham. Might as well call him Robin Hood.

Longfrog

Norrie apparently caught Isner on a bad serving day. Takes the first set 6-4 on Isner's 6th double fault. He's only made half of his first serves so far.

Longfrog

Well, Isner seems to have righted the ship on his serve. 15 aces to 2 double faults in 2nd set. Never lost a point on serve in the tiebreaker, which he wins 7-5. On to a 3rd.

FrogUltimate

That's a successful tournament for Cam. Which is good since I don't like his chances in the next round.
Yeh it's just a bad draw. He got probably the best player on clay at the moment, pending opinion on whether Djokovic is back in form and whether Nadal is back from injury/in form.

FrogUltimate

Gray is playing this morning and he won the 1st set in a tiebreak and was down 2-5 in the 2nd before going God mode and getting it back to 5-5. In the last game he cracked four winners in a row, three of them being absurd.

FrogUltimate

Gray plays some absolutely stellar tennis and wins the 2nd set tiebreak. So a 7-6, 7-6 victory. I've really come to enjoy watching Gray the past few months, he has a super uncanny ability to hit a different gear when the stakes get highest. Once he (finally) moves to Challengers he'll need to even it out a little, but the ability to play big points well will translate.

He will get Oscar Weightman next, ranked #704

FrogUltimate

Only saw the last few points of that Gray match, but he was crushing that backhand. Seems much improved vs a year ago.
He reminds me so much of Norrie's transition from college to pro. I swear I'm watching a different player than I saw at TCU. Both were really good in college, with Norrie obviously being the best player in the nation, but still.

Although for Gray, he is playing Futures tournaments. The top 25 players in college tennis is probably pretty comparable to ATP #200-#500 level players which is the top-end of Futures players. So an argument can probably be made that playing Futures is a step down from playing #1 singles at TCU.

Longfrog

He reminds me so much of Norrie's transition from college to pro. I swear I'm watching a different player than I saw at TCU.
What do you think has improved most about Norrie's game since he was at TCU? I didn't get to watch him much then, and definitely don't see as much of him now as you do. Based purely on reputation, it seems like his conditioning is seen as one of his biggest assets now. I don't remember that being the case at TCU or early in his pro career.

FrogUltimate

What do you think has improved most about Norrie's game since he was at TCU? I didn't get to watch him much then, and definitely don't see as much of him now as you do. Based purely on reputation, it seems like his conditioning is seen as one of his biggest assets now. I don't remember that being the case at TCU or early in his pro career.
His forehand consistency. And not just consistency, but hitting it with a high spin rate plus velocity with consistency. At TCU it was a fine shot, but could abandon him for stretches where he’d miss a chunk of forehands.